GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

G Martin Gerber officially put on Waivers

+10
davetherave
rooneypoo
Phoenix30
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
PKC
Acrobat
LeCaptain
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree Heater but one can hope right? It'd be nice to hear some big time rumours.

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
I think Murray would prefer Gerber in the minors because of the lack of depth. Europe is an option but I think Murray is giving Gerber the opportunity to decide where he wants to be.

Murray to Gerber: "Would you rather play at home and get away from all this or stay and ride the bus but maybe play in some AHL playoff games. Its the least I can do for you after you have been such a good team player."

Fair enough.

I wonder though if Gerber gets picked up off waivers or if not goes overseas if Murray does have a back up plan. The only goalie I can think of is O'keefe in the ECHL.

Oh just noticed Mitch O'Keefe was recalled from the ECHL.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
I think Murray would prefer Gerber in the minors because of the lack of depth. Europe is an option but I think Murray is giving Gerber the opportunity to decide where he wants to be.

Murray to Gerber: "Would you rather play at home and get away from all this or stay and ride the bus but maybe play in some AHL playoff games. Its the least I can do for you after you have been such a good team player."

Fair enough.

I wonder though if Gerber gets picked up off waivers or if not goes overseas if Murray does have a back up plan. The only goalie I can think of is O'keefe in the ECHL.

Oh just noticed Mitch O'Keefe was recalled from the ECHL.

Hmmm...Could be nothing I suppose. I wonder if thats standard procedure when your goalie is placed on Waivers and you only technically have one goalie on the team?

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Huh...interesting. May I be so bald as to ask why we're doing this now? Bingo needs the starting goaltending more than we need to save 1.6 million dollars I'm sure. The ramifications on the young guys missing the playoffs versus playing deep into the playoffs are major - and are worth the $$ IMO.

I just don't understand why it's being done now and not at the end of his 2 week conditioning stint. If it's being done early I would think there's a reason. The only reasonable ones are 1 - A trade is coming and they need that Cap room NOW.

2 - A European team has informed them they'd like to pick him up.

I think it has to do with the AHL All Star Break as well. Baby Sens have 2 games left and are then off for 4. Gerbers 2 weeks ends the day of their 1st game back after the break. That being said you think they would let him play in the last 2 games first...I guess it would be easier to take him out and get O'Keefe into the 2 games and then have time to get settled in Binghamton if Gerber decideds to move on.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Huh...interesting. May I be so bald as to ask why we're doing this now? Bingo needs the starting goaltending more than we need to save 1.6 million dollars I'm sure. The ramifications on the young guys missing the playoffs versus playing deep into the playoffs are major - and are worth the $$ IMO.

I just don't understand why it's being done now and not at the end of his 2 week conditioning stint. If it's being done early I would think there's a reason. The only reasonable ones are 1 - A trade is coming and they need that Cap room NOW.

Yeah it doesn't really make sense...Bingo has back-to-back games starting tomorrow and then they're off until the 29th....It would make a lot more sense for him to stay there for those and then get waived when they're over...
It makes it seem like Gerber wasn't liking riding the bus and that he made it clear he didn't want to be there. I doubt we'll see Gerber in any type of Sens uni again....

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Yeah it doesn't really make sense...Bingo has back-to-back games starting tomorrow and then they're off until the 29th....It would make a lot more sense for him to stay there for those and then get waived when they're over...
It makes it seem like Gerber wasn't liking riding the bus and that he made it clear he didn't want to be there. I doubt we'll see Gerber in any type of Sens uni again....

Didn't think of that one Cash. If he told Murray he didn't want to be there and to get him out then it makes sense. You don't want him to be a disruptive influence down there.

- Unknown Author

It is now done - Gerber put on waivers - according to tsn.ca

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:It is now done - Gerber put on waivers - according to tsn.ca

Noooooooooooooo! Whyyyyyyyy?!? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?!?!?!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:It is now done - Gerber put on waivers - according to tsn.ca

Praise the lord.

Don't let any pucks hit you on the way out the door -- especially after you managed to avoid doing so on the ice for the last 3 years.

All this "he's a good teammate" crap makes me kinda sick. He was an awful goalie who couldn't get the job done, and who did a lot to set this team back. Period. One less head-case, confidence-less, insecure player on this team in my books.

rooneypoo wrote:

Praise the lord.

Don't let any pucks hit you on the way out the door -- especially after you managed to avoid doing so on the ice for the last 3 years.

All this "he's a good teammate" crap makes me kinda sick. He was an awful goalie who couldn't get the job done, and who did a lot to set this team back. Period. One less head-case, confidence-less, insecure player on this team in my books.

HA HA HA! Tell us how you really feel!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:

I just found out that it's so that the Sens don't have his salary counting against the cap. This time, he'll be waived properly down to Bingo and if a team grabs him (which is not going to happen), then great, but no one will, so he'll report to Bingo to finish the year and hopefully lead them to a playoff spot.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My question is, why is cap room suddenly a concern?

and didn't they say that they wouldn't pay anyone an NHL salary to play in the minors? maybe minds are being changed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:and didn't they say that they wouldn't pay anyone an NHL salary to play in the minors? maybe minds are being changed.

Give and take. We took Elliot, we give Gerber. :D It's not 3.7 anymore, it's 1.5 ish, so it's more doable from Melnyk's end. Still sucks though.

504Heater wrote:
B B B Bird is the Word wrote:and didn't they say that they wouldn't pay anyone an NHL salary to play in the minors? maybe minds are being changed.

Give and take. We took Elliot, we give Gerber. :D It's not 3.7 anymore, it's 1.5 ish, so it's more doable from Melnyk's end. Still sucks though.

So, he's on waivers and any other team could pick him up for full price. If he's recalled, someone could pick him up for half his remaining salary.
I would assume that he would be recalled only in an emergency situation (injury to Auld or Elliot), or if Murray is told by another team that they would claim him.
Is this right?
would Murray know for sure whether another team would claim him on re-entry?
If he's called up as an injury replacement, could someone else claim him?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:
504Heater wrote:

So, he's on waivers and any other team could pick him up for full price. If he's recalled, someone could pick him up for half his remaining salary.
I would assume that he would be recalled only in an emergency situation (injury to Auld or Elliot), or if Murray is told by another team that they would claim him.
Is this right?
would Murray know for sure whether another team would claim him on re-entry?
If he's called up as an injury replacement, could someone else claim him?

No, if there's an injury Gerber can be called up as an injury replacement once he's passed through waivers.

I don't think Murray lets him go up through re-entry. Half of 1.5 is 750K, would you allow Gerber to go for 750K when it's possible he might be the only way the B-Sens make the playoffs?

I sure wouldn't. I'm nervous enough with him in nets, let alone Glass or O'Keefe. We need the B-Sens to make it so badly, then we need Elliot, Lee and Foligno to join them and go on a tear in the playoffs - coming back here to Ottawa rejuvenated next year.

I might be wrong, but for 750K, there's no way I recall Gerber.

cool - thanks for clearing that up.
I guess it all depends on whether the 750 cap space means anything for the rest of the season or not.
Murray's NHL team is more important than his AHL team making the playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:cool - thanks for clearing that up.
I guess it all depends on whether the 750 cap space means anything for the rest of the season or not.
Murray's NHL team is more important than his AHL team making the playoffs.

Once Gerber clears waivers, that contract is off the NHL team's books. So the only way he comes back up in re-entry is if some team asks Murray to do it. To which I would probably say no. But Melnyk might have a different opinion of course.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum