GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

G Martin Gerber officially put on Waivers

+10
davetherave
rooneypoo
Phoenix30
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
PKC
Acrobat
LeCaptain
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:
504Heater wrote:
B B B Bird is the Word wrote:and didn't they say that they wouldn't pay anyone an NHL salary to play in the minors? maybe minds are being changed.

Give and take. We took Elliot, we give Gerber. :D It's not 3.7 anymore, it's 1.5 ish, so it's more doable from Melnyk's end. Still sucks though.

So, he's on waivers and any other team could pick him up for full price. If he's recalled, someone could pick him up for half his remaining salary.
I would assume that he would be recalled only in an emergency situation (injury to Auld or Elliot), or if Murray is told by another team that they would claim him.
Is this right?
would Murray know for sure whether another team would claim him on re-entry?
If he's called up as an injury replacement, could someone else claim him?

No, if there's an injury Gerber can be called up as an injury replacement once he's passed through waivers.

I don't think Murray lets him go up through re-entry. Half of 1.5 is 750K, would you allow Gerber to go for 750K when it's possible he might be the only way the B-Sens make the playoffs?

I sure wouldn't. I'm nervous enough with him in nets, let alone Glass or O'Keefe. We need the B-Sens to make it so badly, then we need Elliot, Lee and Foligno to join them and go on a tear in the playoffs - coming back here to Ottawa rejuvenated next year.

I might be wrong, but for 750K, there's no way I recall Gerber.

cool - thanks for clearing that up.
I guess it all depends on whether the 750 cap space means anything for the rest of the season or not.
Murray's NHL team is more important than his AHL team making the playoffs.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:cool - thanks for clearing that up.
I guess it all depends on whether the 750 cap space means anything for the rest of the season or not.
Murray's NHL team is more important than his AHL team making the playoffs.

Once Gerber clears waivers, that contract is off the NHL team's books. So the only way he comes back up in re-entry is if some team asks Murray to do it. To which I would probably say no. But Melnyk might have a different opinion of course.

Thats interesting, Heater. Thanks for the update.
I definitely wouldn't put him on re-entry, so hopefully everyone stays healthy Wink
SeawaySensFan wrote:My question is, why is cap room suddenly a concern?
Every dollar saved in the time leading to the deadline is important. It all counts. Teams get bonuses to their cap depending on how much they've had available during the season. I don't know exactly how it works, but I know its true...

The one thing I'm concerned about is NYI. They were willing to go as far as bringing Dubie back from friggin Europe. Are they really going to pass up the opportunity to solidify themselves in 1st place? lol

lmao the of the article at TSN.ca is "going, going..." :lol!:

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Even if Auld gets mauled, we can call Gerber up on an emergency replacement without him clearing I believe.

I didn't realize we got benefits from the cap, but I can see that now that you mention it.

The Isles won't take him, they didn't take Sabourin or whoever the other goalie was that I can't remember. MacDonald is due back after the all-star break, so they'll go with him and Yan Dennis and get the 1st overall pick (which I'm sure they'll promptly find a way to screw up).

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Why now though? Gerber has only played 14 games all season. If cap space is an issue why wait so long? Seems pretty sudden if you ask me.

Besides, calling up Elliott only adds to Melnyk's spending. He still has to pay Gerber in full AND pay Elliott an NHL salary.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Why now though? Gerber has only played 14 games all season. If cap space is an issue why wait so long? Seems pretty sudden if you ask me.

Besides, calling up Elliott only adds to Melnyk's spending. He still has to pay Gerber in full AND pay Elliott an NHL salary.

But what are you going to do when the all-star break is over? His conditioning stint will be done that Wednesday I believe. Then we'd have to waive him or send Elliot back down. I guess they all made up their minds to go with Elliot, so they just waived Gerber now.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I guess the conditioning stint was more to evaluate Elliott more than anything else. I suppose it is what it is and whatever happens to Gerber, it's not really about cap space after all.

Since Elliot looks to be at least the starter for next season, its time to get the best goalie coach we can find for this guy. Eli has been the coach of the biggest failures on our team since 07, and I don't think management can risk screwing up Elliot as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:Since Elliot looks to be at least the starter for next season, its time to get the best goalie coach we can find for this guy. Eli has been the coach of the biggest failures on our team since 07, and I don't think management can risk screwing up Elliot as well.

That's an interesting point to be honest.

Not one of our goalies have improved since starting with sens under Wilson. They all got worse!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:Not one of our goalies have improved since starting with sens under Wilson. They all got worse!

And yet...Tim Thomas and Carey Price are doing just fine under his tutelage. Tough call, but a good point.

504Heater wrote:
B B B Bird is the Word wrote:Not one of our goalies have improved since starting with sens under Wilson. They all got worse!

And yet...Tim Thomas and Carey Price are doing just fine under his tutelage. Tough call, but a good point.

That's off season though.....maybe he's got the technical thing down, which is helping the others but (obviously) there's a lot more to coaching. Strange....but all our goalies start well, and then go on these awful stretches of terrible performances during the season.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:Since Elliot looks to be at least the starter for next season, its time to get the best goalie coach we can find for this guy. Eli has been the coach of the biggest failures on our team since 07, and I don't think management can risk screwing up Elliot as well.

He's still around. Now of course I out west and try to watch the local ottawa news but you don't seem to ever hear of him. You heard more of Ron Lowe when he was Ottawa's Goaltender coach when he was there.

I suspect Murray will address that in the off season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:That's off season though.....maybe he's got the technical thing down, which is helping the others but (obviously) there's a lot more to coaching. Strange....but all our goalies start well, and then go on these awful stretches of terrible performances during the season.

It usually coincides with the team pooing all over the ice.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I hope they hire me. I have a simple system. Let in a bad goal, I shoot you. With a high powered rifle from the pressbox. Thoughts?

Gerber was awful. There's no two ways about it. No goalie coach in the world could have done anything to help that lost cause.
Wilson and Emery were pretty much best friends and that alone Diddle Dung up....
The Price and Thomas examples are far more significant and relevant than those^ two goofballs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum