GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Atlanta Thrashers @ Ottawa Senators - 7:30PM Dec. 16

+18
smash88
Snuh
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Acrobat
PTFlea
LethalLehner
LeCaptain
asq2
pgood
Cronie
Hayden
dennycrane
Riprock
b33f
Cap'n Clutch
PKC
wprager
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Snuh

Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:man, am I EVER happy that game was blacked out...

Who or what is the cancer that remains in that dressing room? Seriously... What else could be the issue(s) that are still lingering and bogging this group down?
I'm wondering if the "core" of this group has been playing together for too long and are just bored, or have lost interest or something. Or we've not adapted to the changing league and everyone has passed us and we continue to expect to score like crazy... which we're clearly not. It's maddening, and it's slowly starting to point to a "blow up" as the only real solution.

Well at this point is seems like they've tried everything else. They moved problematic players, they've brought in "character" guys, new goalie, and a new coach. Sadly I think a blow up might be the only remaining option. I don't think you can blame Murray too much here. He's done what he needed to do, but for whatever reason the players are not performing to their expectations.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And I see there was another "closed door" meeting after the game.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

May I just point out that not too long ago Heatley was the superstar of the team, posting back to back 50 goal seasons and on his way to a 3rd before being injured? What do you want to do? Trade him for someone else who you will all want to trade the minute he stars to play poorly?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DashRiprock wrote:May I just point out that not too long ago Heatley was the superstar of the team, posting back to back 50 goal seasons and on his way to a 3rd before being injured? What do you want to do? Trade him for someone else who you will all want to trade the minute he stars to play poorly?
It's hard to imagine a collapse of this magnitude for this team with the assets we've retained through all the change - it really is. Leading up to the 2006/07 season and SCF appearance this team was rolling along, doing everything right, contending every night, scoring like crazy and making the playoffs without question. The expectations have always been so high for this team due to our long stretch of success and great play. Even with last year's dismal roller coaster season, we were the #2 scoring team in the league - one goal behind Montreal. Now we can barely put up more than 1 goal a night. Times like these have fans going crazy and yeah, calling for a blow up - anything to get the team going in the right direction. Good thing we're not owners and GMs though. Heh heh. This team would have been rebuilt 7 ways to Sunday before you know it.

Sigh...

So frustrating. I think patience is going to have to win in the end. Reality will set in that this is going to be a very tough season and all signs point to no post-season appearance. Next season may follow a similar trend unless there are some big moves made in the off season.

As with everything... time will tell.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

There's no way Heatley is traded. I also think Spezza being traded is slim to none, but the chance of him being traded is far more realistic than Heatley.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

we need to change a letter in the new sweater from "E" to "A"

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:we need to change a letter in the new sweater from "E" to "A"
I was thinking changing ENS to HIT.

Wink

Just kidding...

BAH!

was at the game last night and was obviously disappointed to say the least. What amazed me most was how flat they came out after the Neil hit and Ruttu fight. Is Hartsburgh that bad at getting these guys up to play some freakin' hockey? He had everything he needed to get them going into the third - fight, huge hit - all he had to do in the room was build off some momentum. Did he lul them back into frustration during the intermission? Did he spend his time harping on the negatives? I know that none of us can answer this, but I'm really starting to think that theres a real issue between the players and this coach.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sweet new avatar?

Hey Gerber... you're getting a 2nd start in a row...

GAME DAY: Atlanta Thrashers @ Ottawa Senators - 7:30PM Dec. 16 - Page 5 Os1216OS1MS047250

Heh heh.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

LOL... That's almost as good as the Arnason "deer in the headlights" look!

The_Dude

The_Dude
Prospect
Prospect

Somebody must have sliped something in beer last night.

I watched this game kind of off and on, Watched pretty much the whole third period aside from the back to back goals. And I thought the Sens played alright. I was expecting to log onto this site this morning and reading some dissapointed yet positve posts. I don't know what the shot count was, but it seems that we played pretty much the whole third period in there zone. Healty go robed on a Massive one timer. Had he scored on that play, it would have been a totaly different game.

I think most of you are frustrated that we lost an other, but the overall play of the team was not terrible, not Boo Worthy IMO.

DashRiprock wrote:May I just point out that not too long ago Heatley was the superstar of the team, posting back to back 50 goal seasons and on his way to a 3rd before being injured? What do you want to do? Trade him for someone else who you will all want to trade the minute he stars to play poorly?

Yeah pretty much. This isn't a new thing with Heatley. We saw this laziness several times last year. You make it sound like he's had one bad game. If we do a full rebuild, he has to go. The assets we could fetch for him would help us alot.

There are very few players on the roster that I'd keep in case of a rebuild.

Alfie
Auld
Volchenkov
Picard
Winchester
Ruutu
Foligno
Lee (unless a deal comes up)

Anyone else is and should be fair game.

The_Dude wrote:Somebody must have sliped something in beer last night.

I watched this game kind of off and on, Watched pretty much the whole third period aside from the back to back goals. And I thought the Sens played alright. I was expecting to log onto this site this morning and reading some dissapointed yet positve posts. I don't know what the shot count was, but it seems that we played pretty much the whole third period in there zone. Healty go robed on a Massive one timer. Had he scored on that play, it would have been a totaly different game.

I think most of you are frustrated that we lost an other, but the overall play of the team was not terrible, not Boo Worthy IMO.

So I went to the game and sat with Dawg...he was brought in to scout either Atlanta or Ottawa, seeing as he was in town for the holidays. Anyways..we sat up in the pressbox and rather than just watch the game I had him explain to me what he was doing. He explained how he doesn't really see much of a game, more that he concentrates on key people on each team. 1/2 way through the game I keyed on 3 players (mostly because they were on different lines). I watched Spezza, Neil and Picard. I'll say this much Neil was by far the best player of the three followed by Picard and then Spezza.

I haven't really watched Spezza that much, more I watch the line and the game, but if what I saw last night is what he's like then trade him now. I realize that 100 point centres don't grow on trees, but his effort last night was brutal and if that's what his regular contribution is to this team then I say let him go.

For instance, in one shift I watched him dump the puck in and although he was the player on Ottawa closest to the puck at the time waited and let Alfie forecheck. This allowed Atlanta's D plenty of time to retrieve the puck and then evaluate the best way to break out of their end. Further rather than move over to cover the right winger (which Heatley should have been on but had to leave because he went to the centre of the ice because Alfie had to forecheck) he sat back and that gave Atlanta a way to get out of their end and break the forecheck plan that Ottawa was trying all night.

Next with Atlanta breaking up the ice now on a 3-3, Spezza coasted over his blueline letting the trailing Thrasher have a clear unobstructed line to the slot and a great scoring chance. When the puck went into the corner Ottawa's D-man went in to get it but was over matched by the two Thrashers and Spezza being the first forward back should have gone in to support the puck, instead he went for the Thrashers D-man who was just entering the zone and covereed the point, thus forcing Heatley to skate all the way from the blueline into the corner to help out.

Now I don't know if Hartsburg doesn't want Spezza involved defensively down low, but if he does and he isn't responding then trade him now for Horton and Florida's first. Hell at this rate that would mean Ottawa would end up with 2 of the first 4 or 5 picks...

That was the worst 2.5 hours of my life last night.

Dawg's Wife

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I disagree that Heatley is the problem. The whole freaking top line sucks right now. And to me, Spezza and Alfie have been the worst of that line. Spezza's deeking through 6 guys, has GOT TO STOP!!! When is he going to learn, that it's just not gonna work anymore? I LOVE Alfie, but my goodness he's been wretchedly bad. The only good guys on the team right now start at Fisher and end at Donovan. Our 3rd and 4th lines have been the best. And Fisher has played his heart out every night, to no avail. I can't believe the guy can't put the freaking puck in the net...it's driving me mad!!!

I don't know what we need to do...I don't know if it's Hartsburg, or if there is still some sort of poison in the room, but this is getting to be absolutely ridiculous. If they won't play for Hartsburg (which they obviously haven't) then, it's time for him to go. We will have a hard time making a deal with any team for a player, since they will be asking for too much and we have a bunch of garbage guys on our team that can't do Dung right now. I don't think we're getting anybody this year, I really don't. If we are, we're losing way too much for them...

This is making me sick.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Sweet new avatar?

Hey Gerber... you're getting a 2nd start in a row...

GAME DAY: Atlanta Thrashers @ Ottawa Senators - 7:30PM Dec. 16 - Page 5 Os1216OS1MS047250

Heh heh.

Anyone else notice how he's always blinking one eye at time when he has his helmet on?

It's like he's constantly got dust or something in it.

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

Dawg's Wife wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Somebody must have sliped something in beer last night.

So I went to the game and sat with Dawg...he was brought in to scout either Atlanta or Ottawa, seeing as he was in town for the holidays. Anyways..we sat up in the pressbox and rather than just watch the game I had him explain to me what he was doing. He explained how he doesn't really see much of a game, more that he concentrates on key people on each team. 1/2 way through the game I keyed on 3 players (mostly because they were on different lines). I watched Spezza, Neil and Picard. I'll say this much Neil was by far the best player of the three followed by Picard and then Spezza.

I haven't really watched Spezza that much, more I watch the line and the game, but if what I saw last night is what he's like then trade him now. I realize that 100 point centres don't grow on trees, but his effort last night was brutal and if that's what his regular contribution is to this team then I say let him go.

For instance, in one shift I watched him dump the puck in and although he was the player on Ottawa closest to the puck at the time waited and let Alfie forecheck. This allowed Atlanta's D plenty of time to retrieve the puck and then evaluate the best way to break out of their end. Further rather than move over to cover the right winger (which Heatley should have been on but had to leave because he went to the centre of the ice because Alfie had to forecheck) he sat back and that gave Atlanta a way to get out of their end and break the forecheck plan that Ottawa was trying all night.

Next with Atlanta breaking up the ice now on a 3-3, Spezza coasted over his blueline letting the trailing Thrasher have a clear unobstructed line to the slot and a great scoring chance. When the puck went into the corner Ottawa's D-man went in to get it but was over matched by the two Thrashers and Spezza being the first forward back should have gone in to support the puck, instead he went for the Thrashers D-man who was just entering the zone and covereed the point, thus forcing Heatley to skate all the way from the blueline into the corner to help out.

Now I don't know if Hartsburg doesn't want Spezza involved defensively down low, but if he does and he isn't responding then trade him now for Horton and Florida's first. Hell at this rate that would mean Ottawa would end up with 2 of the first 4 or 5 picks...

That was the worst 2.5 hours of my life last night.

Dawg's Wife

you nailed one thing thgat I've been noticing for the past month. Heatley is the one that goes into the defensive zone corners to battle for the puck and covers the centre. I saw it a couple of times over a few games and it appears to be the game plan. I does make sense as Heater's bigger and knocks people over easier than Spezza...BUUUUUT I don't like the fact that in order to do this, the other team's centre isn't being covered 100% as, at some point, Spez and Heater have to switch dZone roles???

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Who or what is the cancer that remains in that dressing room? Seriously... What else could be the issue(s) that are still lingering and bogging this group down?

Maybe it's Melnyk. We got rid of a few coaches (Martin, Murray, Paddock, Murray again), GMs, defensemen too many to mention, a few forwards. Must be the owner.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Maybe it's Melnyk. We got rid of a few coaches (Martin, Murray, Paddock, Murray again), GMs, defensemen too many to mention, a few forwards. Must be the owner.

Trade Melnyk for Balsilie and a 1st in 2009 :lol!:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum