GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Hawks on the block?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1'Hawks on the block? Empty 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:25 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Kukla's Korner is reporting:

Byfuglien and defenseman Brent Sopel were scratched for the game against the Stars. Both have been mentioned in recent trade speculation.

Byfulgien is big and has shown offensive upside. Still, a natural defenseman who plays forward is on the block. Sounds familiar...

2'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:27 am

mattshock wrote:Kukla's Korner is reporting:

Byfuglien and defenseman Brent Sopel were scratched for the game against the Stars. Both have been mentioned in recent trade speculation.

Byfulgien is big and has shown offensive upside. Still, a natural defenseman who plays forward is on the block. Sounds familiar...

It does, but Byfuglien has way more offensive upside than Schubert. I don't know how he feels about playing forward, but he seems to be doing the job. If this rumoured trade goes through with Washington, the Caps got a great deal even if they have to eat Sopel's contract to make it work.

3'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Is that serious? Byfuglien on the trade block?
Man, you talk to any Hawks fan and mention that name in a trade rumor, and they bring the apocalypse upon you. Crazy...although if we can get him, why not.

4'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:59 am

PKC wrote:Is that serious? Byfuglien on the trade block?
Man, you talk to any Hawks fan and mention that name in a trade rumor, and they bring the apocalypse upon you. Crazy...although if we can get him, why not.

Apparently it is serious. He was pulled off the ice during practice, then was a healthy scratch for that nights game. That's usually a good sign. Sopel as well. Rumoured deal is that it's Sopel and Fugly for Nylander, although I don't know why the Hawks would do this. Sopel is a salary dump to make the numbers work I suspect.

5'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:49 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Byfooglin for Schubie = a nice safe lateral trade to make the rest of the boys take notice. Schubie is the last one left of the party boys, so it makes sense....

6'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm

Chicago wont be dealing for another D man, thats almost a certainty. They are pretty high on Byfooglin there as he is apparently a real good guy to have around and a good guy to have on the ice.

7'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:49 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think the Sens are really in on this trade. It's looking like WAS more likely, but it's a shame if we're not.

He put up GREAT numbers playing with Havlat (who wouldn't though?) and was a steal in my fantasy league last year.

That said, he's not having a great year, but I think there's more behind this than meets the eye.

8'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm

mattshock wrote:I don't think the Sens are really in on this trade. It's looking like WAS more likely, but it's a shame if we're not.

He put up GREAT numbers playing with Havlat (who wouldn't though?) and was a steal in my fantasy league last year.

That said, he's not having a great year, but I think there's more behind this than meets the eye.

A shame depending on what we'd have to give up. I agree with whomever (rooneypoo I believe) that Fugly isn't the answer for a top 6 guy. I like him, but I don't seeing him pot 20-25 on Fisher's wing. Although they'd make a nice crash and bang line :D

If we have to give up Vermette and Schubert, I don't want any part of this trade anyway. Sopel is nothing more than a salary dump.

9'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:55 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

That's right, you gotta keep your trade chips for the big (bowmeester anyone) trade.

10'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:04 pm

TheAvatar wrote:That's right, you gotta keep your trade chips for the big (bowmeester anyone) trade.

Don't tease me now! I just hope Martin has gotten over the sting of being let go in Ottawa. It's a different regime now, so we'll see, but he'd be dealing with the guy that replaced him, so I think he's going to want a little more to help us out.

Having said that, we have the pieces to get this done imo.

11'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:06 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock34 wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:That's right, you gotta keep your trade chips for the big (bowmeester anyone) trade.

Don't tease me now! I just hope Martin has gotten over the sting of being let go in Ottawa. It's a different regime now, so we'll see, but he'd be dealing with the guy that replaced him, so I think he's going to want a little more to help us out.

They now find themselves in last place. Mind you we're only 1 spot ahead of them. But hopefully they are inclined to sell him off to us.

12'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:23 pm

PKC wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:

They now find themselves in last place. Mind you we're only 1 spot ahead of them. But hopefully they are inclined to sell him off to us.

He's going to be moved, no question. I maintain that Martin is under the gun and will hold on to him until the deadline. This serves two purposes: First, Bow could help Florida get close to the playoffs (not looking really likely now, but like I said Martin is under the gun), and secondly, I think the return for J-Bow will be at it's biggest then. If Campbell fetches a 1st and a young guy, I think J-Bow fetches that and a decent prospect.

13'Hawks on the block? Empty Re: 'Hawks on the block? Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:04 pm

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

hemlock34 wrote:
mattshock wrote:I don't think the Sens are really in on this trade. It's looking like WAS more likely, but it's a shame if we're not.

A shame depending on what we'd have to give up. I agree with whomever (rooneypoo I believe) that Fugly isn't the answer for a top 6 guy. I like him, but I don't seeing him pot 20-25 on Fisher's wing. Although they'd make a nice crash and bang line :D

If we have to give up Vermette and Schubert, I don't want any part of this trade anyway. Sopel is nothing more than a salary dump.

He might not pot 20-25 with Fisher, BUT, if they were to hypothetically break up the pizza line he might look good on a wing with Spezza and Heatley. If Spezza ever learns the art of the dump in Buff is exactly the hard working big bodied guy who could go chase down loose pucks and be a presence in front of the net, something that line is severly lacking.

Not to detract from Alfie's hard work of course. But Buff is just a physically bigger guy with some decent skills to go along with his size.

Sopel not included, I think I would deal Vermette and Schubert for Buff and someone else. Schubert has no real role with this team anymore plus Buff could assume the role of forward/d-man. And Vermette would be the skill.potential skill.

Not sure how willing Chicago would be to do a deal like this, unless they think Vermette is the answer to their big hole up the middle. And I don't think thats the case.

edit: according to that guy, who never has very accurate info anyways and waits for tsn to break trades before he/she/it reports them, Byfuglien is NOT part of this trade, and apparently the Nylander trade hinges on another trade involving Khabibulin. Given the reliability of the source, take it for what it is...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum