GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2009 ISS top 30 rankings

+4
The Silfer Server
smash88
mattshock
Phoenix30
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

312009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:01 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:Every time I see Tavares in person, I'm less and less impressed. He may have an excellent shot, but he is a lowsy skater, and his work ethic leaves much to be desired.

Sounds like Jason Spezza to me.

I just think potential-wise, it's hard not to take him 2nd.

MSP might be my favourite player in the draft, too (definitely after Hedman).

That's pretty harsh. Spezza has been working a lot harder and has improved his skating ten-fold since even two or three years ago. He's a bigger body, so naturally he isn't as fast as a St. Louis. But don't underestimate him, he can get around pretty quick.

I should qualify that by saying it's exactly the same stuff they were saying about Spezza when he was a prospect. Obviously he's turned out pretty well, I don't see why Tavares should be any different. He reminds me of a centre version of Heatley -- not spectacular, but he knows how to find the back of the net.

As for Spezza, I'm one of his most ardent supporters and the amount he's improved is pretty amazing. I think he's on his way to becoming the best player in the history of the franchise.

322009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:07 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Meh, either way, I've heard tremendous things about this kid. Apparently he's super talented.

Yes, he is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjHgdje_8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBQGZ3uYbY&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFYCZUIJx0&feature=related

Anton Lander is another name to remember from Sweden in this draft. Their junior team is stacked, especially if Markstrom and Tedenby (this kid is unreal) play.

332009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:36 pm

dirtydirtynorth wrote:
mattshock wrote:Is that 160 Kane guy Pats brother?

I don't think so. Evander Kane is born in Vancouver, while Patrick Kane is born in Buffalo. There is that, and there is also the fact that Evander Kane is black.

Sounds to me like a brother from another mother.

342009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:02 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Heatley. Now theres a good comparison to Tavares. He's not known for his skating, but puts the puck in net like few others.

I've seen Tavares live one time, and he got like 6 points or something. I've been impressed ever since, but that was about a year ago. From the sounds of things he may have regressed.

352009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:Heatley. Now theres a good comparison to Tavares. He's not known for his skating, but puts the puck in net like few others.

I've seen Tavares live one time, and he got like 6 points or something. I've been impressed ever since, but that was about a year ago. From the sounds of things he may have regressed.

I saw him in last season's playoffs, where he was totally shut down by the Ottawa 67's (Who really weren't that good) He was very unimpressive that game, I don't could just be he had a bad game or something, but definitely didn't look like the wonderkid everybody says he is... I remember going to see Crosby versus Gatineau when he played in the Q... Now that was a game where you could tell a superstar was in the making, evertime he touched the puck it was just electric, no one could touch him, it was a man playing with boys...

362009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

smash88 wrote:
mattshock wrote:Heatley. Now theres a good comparison to Tavares. He's not known for his skating, but puts the puck in net like few others.

I saw him in last season's playoffs, where he was totally shut down by the Ottawa 67's (Who really weren't that good) He was very unimpressive that game, I don't could just be he had a bad game or something, but definitely didn't look like the wonderkid everybody says he is... I remember going to see Crosby versus Gatineau when he played in the Q... Now that was a game where you could tell a superstar was in the making, evertime he touched the puck it was just electric, no one could touch him, it was a man playing with boys...

Crosby is a one-of-a-kind generational player.

Tavares I don't think will be that (Hedman might) but that doesn't mean he's not going to be a great player. I can easily see him being a 40-40 guy, if not more.

372009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:48 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, it's hard to not take notice to Taylor Doherty standing tall at 6'8".... even if all he does is stands infront of the net and clears the crease, and screens goalies, he would be a great pick up. Could be a Chara v.2.5? Could use some weight at only 218, whereas this Zach Budish guy is 229 at 6'2". Good chance Ottawa could grab him and another player at anywhere from 18+ (with SJ's 1st as well).

I missed the Oct. 30 Frontencas game vs. Brampton otherwise I'd have seen this guy play. They play Mississauga Dec. 14 and it looks like the Battalion's next home game vs. Kingston is Feb 5.

I've seen Duchene play a a half dozen times almost now, he's pretty good. Eight goals for 18 points in 16 games. Hodgson has 7 G for 13 points through 9 games but is a -6.

382009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:52 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
smash88 wrote:

Crosby is a one-of-a-kind generational player.

Tavares I don't think will be that (Hedman might) but that doesn't mean he's not going to be a great player. I can easily see him being a 40-40 guy, if not more.

I'm not saying Tavares won't be a good player, it's just that he won't be the superstar everyone expects him to be... 80 points isn't out of this world for Tavares, but I think he'll have a hard time consistently doing it...

I don't know I could be wrong, but I just don't see him being the impact player everyone is hoping he'll be...

392009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Tavares has been so highly touted for so long that the expectations are huge.

I don't think we're in contention to draft the guy anyways, so I'm not too worried about him. Hopefully he goes to the Islanders or something. They could use a scorer.

402009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:Tavares has been so highly touted for so long that the expectations are huge.

I don't think we're in contention to draft the guy anyways, so I'm not too worried about him. Hopefully he goes to the Islanders or something. They could use a scorer.

No, we certainly won't be. And yes, the Isles are the only ones IMO who should consider taking Tavares #1, simply because they need a franchise centre.

I'm for trying to rebuild the blue-line, but the only d-man who interests me after Hedman and Cowen is Ellis, and I don't think offensive d-man is a big need prospect-wise with Karlsson and Lee already in the system.

Another guy I'd love to grab is Nazem Kadri, but he's probably going to go much before we'd have a chance at grabbing him. I think Ottawa would be a great market for a Lebanese player, and I think he's going to be absolutely tremendous.

412009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:55 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I hope we pick up a goalie this year.

It never hurts to have a couple in the pipeline.

422009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:57 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:I hope we pick up a goalie this year.

After Roy, though, I don't think this year's group is particularly deep.

432009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Bummer.

442009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:47 pm

asq2 wrote:

Roy as in Patrick's son?

452009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:52 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Mike Lee is apparently on the rise.

I can't find anything on Roy though (yet!).

462009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:04 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I'll be curious to see the goalie rankings

472009 ISS top 30 rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2009 ISS top 30 rankings Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:05 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Roy as in Patrick's son?

Olivier Bellavance-Roy.

Not related to Patrick/Jonathan to my knowledge.

Plays in the QJMHL for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum