GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

EA 2009 vs 2k9

+3
wprager
PKC
Phoenix30
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty EA 2009 vs 2k9 Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

So I just got 2k9 for my birthday yesterday. I have never played it as I have always been a ea fan. Does anyone have any thoughts on the 2k9. Which is better. What does 2k9 have to offer, can you do roster updates etc. I havent opened it yet as I am looking for feedback because if 2k9 isnt that great then I can take it back before I open it.

2EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:39 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I am, always have been, and always will be an EA fan. NHL Live 2009 is the superior franchise as far as I'm concerned -- although I must say I haven't played the 2k9 game, but from what I've heard and read, it's too 'arcade-y' for my taste.

3EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What platform? I'm looking forward to getting 2K9 for the Wii for my son for Christmas (is that three "for"s or do I count the one in "forward" as well?) I've never played any of those games, but I've also read lots of commentary about 2K9 being the "poor cousin" of NHL09. If they did a good job with the Wii remote it could be really, really good. On the flip side, it could be really, really average. The one thing the Wii remote-based games do not handle well at all is forward motion interpretation. If the game has a poke-check move it could be as brutal as Redden's.

Does anyone here have first-hand experience with 2K9 on the Wii?

4EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:19 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:What platform? I'm looking forward to getting 2K9 for the Wii for my son for Christmas (is that three "for"s or do I count the one in "forward" as well?) I've never played any of those games, but I've also read lots of commentary about 2K9 being the "poor cousin" of NHL09. If they did a good job with the Wii remote it could be really, really good. On the flip side, it could be really, really average. The one thing the Wii remote-based games do not handle well at all is forward motion interpretation. If the game has a poke-check move it could be as brutal as Redden's.

Does anyone here have first-hand experience with 2K9 on the Wii?

Ooops ya that might help PS3

5EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:49 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:So I just got 2k9 for my birthday yesterday. I have never played it as I have always been a ea fan. Does anyone have any thoughts on the 2k9. Which is better. What does 2k9 have to offer, can you do roster updates etc. I havent opened it yet as I am looking for feedback because if 2k9 isnt that great then I can take it back before I open it.

Cast my vote for EA. I haven't played the '9's yet, but 2008 was MUCH better than 2k8 IMO.

6EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:06 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I've played them both, and while 2K9 has some good things about it, EA's NHL09 is a lot better. No question...

For the Wii, I've never played it yet but have friends who have bought it.. They said it was definitely a cool concept, but it would take time to get used to, they said the response from the remotes were pretty good, they didn't really encounter any problems with it, but they hadn't played for too long... I've heard from a few people that 2K9 for the Wii might be worth it, NHL09 on the other platforms...

Just my take...

7EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:47 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

2K9 is ridiculously fun on Wii. I appreciate the realism of the EA sports games, and they were always my favourites growing up- but the controls are just far too complex now. I'm not a vid freak or anything, and couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to the some 35 different controls it takes to play the game well.

8EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Jordo wrote:2K9 is ridiculously fun on Wii. I appreciate the realism of the EA sports games, and they were always my favourites growing up- but the controls are just far too complex now. I'm not a vid freak or anything, and couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to the some 35 different controls it takes to play the game well.

Yes, there is the difference... Supposedly 2K9 is very "pick up and play" friendly.. Where as NHL09 is more for the avid gamer...

9EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 am

Jordo wrote:2K9 is ridiculously fun on Wii. I appreciate the realism of the EA sports games, and they were always my favourites growing up- but the controls are just far too complex now. I'm not a vid freak or anything, and couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to the some 35 different controls it takes to play the game well.

I think it is best to comment having played both (PS3)...

Fundamental difference is in the attention to detail. 2K9 is better rendered and has superior graphics. Some of the gameplay is superior and ease of play is superior. That said the attention to detail is horrible in terms of gameplay problems... can't call a timeout unless it is right after a goal, can't pull your goalie, has some wrong variables for the announcer (calling the wrong goalie name when making a save), roster shuffling has taken a step back, roster downloads are not easily available (last one in August).

EA is a better simulation and their product verification team is better. They do not have as many bugs in the game play. The controls are a bit more difficult to get used to.

In the end if you just want to play a non serious game with your pals... go 2K9 (especially if you have a Wii I hear). If you want a grand simulation and are an avid gamer go NHL09. Thats my 2 cents or .95 cents based on the market conditions...

10EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

11EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:43 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

If the controls are the same as EA 2008, they do take some getting used to.

Once you figure them out though, they are quite fun to use.

12EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

If you are an avid gamer for sure... But I've had friends come over and try to play NHL09, they can't... It's way too complicating for them... If you give them a couple of hours to screw around they might be ok, but the point with 2K9 is that anyone can just pick it up and play, even those who don't game very often...

My opinion is NHL 09 is way better for someone who has always played video games..

But for someone who just wants it so that they can play friends every once in a while then 2K9 is better for them... It's just a matter of preference..

as a gamer i totally agree with you that EA has better controls, but think of someone who has never played, it will take them at least a few games to learn the controls...

13EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:47 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

smash88 wrote:

If you are an avid gamer for sure... But I've had friends come over and try to play NHL09, they can't... It's way too complicating for them... If you give them a couple of hours to screw around they might be ok, but the point with 2K9 is that anyone can just pick it up and play, even those who don't game very often...

My opinion is NHL 09 is way better for someone who has always played video games..

But for someone who just wants it so that they can play friends every once in a while then 2K9 is better for them... It's just a matter of preference..

as a gamer i totally agree with you that EA has better controls, but think of someone who has never played, it will take them at least a few games to learn the controls...

I beg to differ. Almost every single person I've ever played with who had never picked up the game and played it before was able to at least hold their own with the controls. Sure it took them a game or so to get used to shooting going up or down, but they almost certainly raved about the controls.

14EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:50 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
smash88 wrote:

I beg to differ. Almost every single person I've ever played with who had never picked up the game and played it before was able to at least hold their own with the controls. Sure it took them a game or so to get used to shooting going up or down, but they almost certainly raved about the controls.

Well, not all but most of my friends, who don't usually play found it way too complicated to just play one game... the poke-checks, the hitting, the stick sweeps, the shooting.. especially when you play against someone who knows the controls....

15EA 2009 vs 2k9 Empty Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9 Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

smash88 wrote:
PKC wrote:
smash88 wrote:

Well, not all but most of my friends, who don't usually play found it way too complicated to just play one game... the poke-checks, the hitting, the stick sweeps, the shooting.. especially when you play against someone who knows the controls....

When I first started playing NHL 07 (which is when they switched over to the skill sticks; left stick skates, right stick stick) i was lost within the first 30 seconds. The new controls were difficult to grasp, and i was quite frustrated lol. But after two games or so, loved them. Very interactive and very fun to play once you get the swing of things. I have bought every new one every year from then on in. Even before 07, i still preferred the EA stream of hockey games. I did own 2k6 i believe.. or one of them and it really just reminded me of those cheaper NFL games where its just all about the hits, like NFL BLITZ or whatever its called lol.

Not having played 2k9, i can't really make a decision but even if i have had played it, i still believe i would lean towards EA's NHL 09.. i love it. amazing game, sweet features... like be a pro mode, where you go from the bottom to the top, updated rosters surprisingly frequently.. its a really good bloody game.. and i'll mash anyone online squirrel

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum