GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crunch time!

+2
jamvan
Cronie
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:16 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
Jordo wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

I'm working on it!! Believe me, if you know ANYONE who has a decent paying job opening, let me know... I'm ITCHIN' to come home... not to mention my wife LOVED Ottawa when I brought her about 2 years ago...

What do you do Cronie? What line of work are you in?

Honestly, I'm a jack of all trades. I've been with the provincial government for about 6 years now, and i'm currently in the Communications field, but my strengths are writing, research, stuff like that.

MY DREAM is to get on with The Sens Org in some capacity and work my way into the marketing or communications office. I'm very good at spinning!! LOL Although, Cap 'n' is BY FAR the best at turning a negative into a positive!!

Thanks Cronman. There are Communications jobs open all the time on Jobs.gc.ca (Federal government jobs website) Check it out and apply, apply, apply. Remember you need to prove you meet each and every EXPERIENCE BULLET. The Knowledge, Abilities and personal suitability are assessed through exams, interview and reference checks.

17Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:14 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Cronenbergfan wrote:Well, with various sources all stating that Mezaros is still trying to decide between Murray's final offer or the offer from the KHL, I thought I should put the question to you... Do you want Mezie to suck it up and sign or would you rather he bolts to the land of Borscht and Vodka?

Meszaros leaving for Russia would be terrible. This guy is a huge part of our future, even with Lee and Karlsson around.

I'd just try to reason with him that by signing the one year, $2.5 million year deal, he lets the team add a guy like Schneider or Boucher for a year and also gets a chance to prove himself with first-unit powerplay time to try to get more money on his next contract.

18Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Asquaredx2 wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:Well, with various sources all stating that Mezaros is still trying to decide between Murray's final offer or the offer from the KHL, I thought I should put the question to you... Do you want Mezie to suck it up and sign or would you rather he bolts to the land of Borscht and Vodka?

Meszaros leaving for Russia would be terrible. This guy is a huge part of our future, even with Lee and Karlsson around.

I'd just try to reason with him that by signing the one year, $2.5 million year deal, he lets the team add a guy like Schneider or Boucher for a year and also gets a chance to prove himself with first-unit powerplay time to try to get more money on his next contract.

Exactly my thinking as well. You basically sell it as, take this contract now and next year when you've been given the bigger role you will be able to cash in because there will be room with Gerber off the books and a possibly larger Cap as well.

19Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

Hey Crony, this is off topic but whereabout in NB are you? I'm asking 'cause I drove through NB last week on my way to Halifax then to Cape Breton. It was raining in NB as usual :-) Everytime I drove through NB it has rained. It's weird.

I'm in Fredericton as a matter of fact. And believe it or not, it has rained her for approximately 3 weeks straight!! You should see how high the St. John River is! Shocked!

Going to Halifax and Cape Breton, eh? Nice... My wife and her family all hail from Cape Breton. I hear it's beautiful up there, but I don't remember much as the last time I was there was with a family reunion back in 1990...

I thought you were coming up for that massive Eagles concert.

I saw the Eagles when they played at the (then) Corel Center. It was a good show but don't need to see again (so soon). My wife is from Cape Breton as well (Gardiner Mines) so we went to see her family. It was fun. We then spent a few days in Halifax; I love Halifax. We finally headed to Vermont for a bike tour and returned home the day before yesterday. I hate going back to work after vacationning ... affraid

Cheers!

20Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

Hey Crony, this is off topic but whereabout in NB are you? I'm asking 'cause I drove through NB last week on my way to Halifax then to Cape Breton. It was raining in NB as usual :-) Everytime I drove through NB it has rained. It's weird.

I'm in Fredericton as a matter of fact. And believe it or not, it has rained her for approximately 3 weeks straight!! You should see how high the St. John River is! Shocked!

Going to Halifax and Cape Breton, eh? Nice... My wife and her family all hail from Cape Breton. I hear it's beautiful up there, but I don't remember much as the last time I was there was with a family reunion back in 1990...

I thought you were coming up for that massive Eagles concert.

I saw the Eagles when they played at the (then) Corel Center. It was a good show but don't need to see again (so soon). My wife is from Cape Breton as well (Gardiner Mines) so we went to see her family. It was fun. We then spent a few days in Halifax; I love Halifax. We finally headed to Vermont for a bike tour and returned home the day before yesterday. I hate going back to work after vacationning ... affraid

Cheers!

So anyone heard anything else on Mesz? Any idea when we'll hear anything?

21Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:20 am

I think if Mez doesn't sign now and bolts to Russia it will all but kill his long term future with this team. That's not a good thing. My feeling is that we've seen only a portion of his true capabilities as he has oodles of room to grow as a player. I think if he went to Russia even for one year, he would be back with a bitter taste in his mouth. Worst case scenario is that he stays in Russia long enough to become UFA age, which since he started in the NHL at 19 would be 26 if I am not mistaken. Then we'd lose him for nothing. Another scenario is that he comes back after say, a year and begrudgingly signs at deal and demands a trade. Then we risk getting the shaft in any deal we might get for him.

I'm going to be choked as hell if Murray doesn't get him signed (or doesn't work out a blockbuster involving him) because of a few 100k. With all the massive payments we've seen this summer, it's hard not to justify paying a little more for Mez. We know what we are getting from him, and he can only improve.

22Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock34 wrote:I think if Mez doesn't sign now and bolts to Russia it will all but kill his long term future with this team. That's not a good thing. My feeling is that we've seen only a portion of his true capabilities as he has oodles of room to grow as a player. I think if he went to Russia even for one year, he would be back with a bitter taste in his mouth. Worst case scenario is that he stays in Russia long enough to become UFA age, which since he started in the NHL at 19 would be 26 if I am not mistaken. Then we'd lose him for nothing. Another scenario is that he comes back after say, a year and begrudgingly signs at deal and demands a trade. Then we risk getting the shaft in any deal we might get for him.

I'm going to be choked as hell if Murray doesn't get him signed (or doesn't work out a blockbuster involving him) because of a few 100k. With all the massive payments we've seen this summer, it's hard not to justify paying a little more for Mez. We know what we are getting from him, and he can only improve.

while I agree that as Sens fans, we have probably yet to see Mezie's full potential, I hate DRAMA queens! Seriously, at the end of the day, sign or move on. The weeks of indecision or haggling over $$ is truly annoying to say the least, and while I would be worried if Mez sits or bolts elsewhere, at the same time I want our squad to be full of TEAM players, not individuals...

Either way, I say something will be announced by the weekend. That's just my gut though.

23Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:04 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock34 wrote:I think if Mez doesn't sign now and bolts to Russia it will all but kill his long term future with this team. That's not a good thing. My feeling is that we've seen only a portion of his true capabilities as he has oodles of room to grow as a player. I think if he went to Russia even for one year, he would be back with a bitter taste in his mouth. Worst case scenario is that he stays in Russia long enough to become UFA age, which since he started in the NHL at 19 would be 26 if I am not mistaken. Then we'd lose him for nothing. Another scenario is that he comes back after say, a year and begrudgingly signs at deal and demands a trade. Then we risk getting the shaft in any deal we might get for him.

He won't be going to Russia that's for certain. I've heard from a few of his buddies that he's not even considering that option and is still hoping for a long term deal, but Murray is only offering a short one for now and a promise that if he plays to his capabilities he will be paid honourably after that. I still say this thing gets done by the time training camp starts.

24Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:He won't be going to Russia that's for certain. I've heard from a few of his buddies that he's not even considering that option and is still hoping for a long term deal, but Murray is only offering a short one for now and a promise that if he plays to his capabilities he will be paid honourably after that. I still say this thing gets done by the time training camp starts.

I sure hope you're right. Any word from your sources? Do they jive with Cronmans numbers?

25Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
jamvan wrote:He won't be going to Russia that's for certain. I've heard from a few of his buddies that he's not even considering that option and is still hoping for a long term deal, but Murray is only offering a short one for now and a promise that if he plays to his capabilities he will be paid honourably after that. I still say this thing gets done by the time training camp starts.

I sure hope you're right. Any word from your sources? Do they jive with Cronmans numbers?
I heard that he offered him a 1 year term under $3 million.

If he goes to Russia, he would kill his career in the NHL. He'd become another Dany Markov.

26Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Here's another tidbit that all but eliminates the KHL.

Even if he threatens to go to the KHL, his eligibility for international competition becomes void since he would have violated his contract obligations (the team still owns his rights) when they extended him a qualifying offer.

27Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

jamvan wrote:Here's another tidbit that all but eliminates the KHL.

Even if he threatens to go to the KHL, his eligibility for international competition becomes void since he would have violated his contract obligations (the team still owns his rights) when they extended him a qualifying offer.

So the situation is similar to that of Radulov's? Did anything ever come of that? Preds fans seem to think he's a gonner.

I'm very interested to see how this KHL does this year. I can't imagine it's that big of a threat to the NHL, but if it's well received we might lose a lot of the lower level Russian/European players, and perhaps even some decent talent from right here in Canada.

28Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:27 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Jordo wrote:

So the situation is similar to that of Radulov's? Did anything ever come of that? Preds fans seem to think he's a gonner.

I'm very interested to see how this KHL does this year. I can't imagine it's that big of a threat to the NHL, but if it's well received we might lose a lot of the lower level Russian/European players, and perhaps even some decent talent from right here in Canada.

I find it hard to believe that we'll lose many decent north american players to some russian league (unless you consider Emery a decent north american player) or at least not for a very long time.

29Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:31 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

TheAvatar wrote:
Jordo wrote:

I find it hard to believe that we'll lose many decent north american players to some russian league (unless you consider Emery a decent north american player) or at least not for a very long time.

I wasn't really talking about superstars. I think the people that are at risk of leaving are those 3rd/4th line guys who may be attracted by the $$ in a Russian league, along with increased ice time. I can see the KHL being a glorified AHL where players go to on an annual basis, if needed. Kind of a go there, come back type deal.

30Crunch time! - Page 2 Empty Re: Crunch time! Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:00 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jordo wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
Jordo wrote:

I wasn't really talking about superstars. I think the people that are at risk of leaving are those 3rd/4th line guys who may be attracted by the $$ in a Russian league, along with increased ice time. I can see the KHL being a glorified AHL where players go to on an annual basis, if needed. Kind of a go there, come back type deal.

It will all depend on how easy it is to get the money from the owners. IF there's issues with getting paid on time then less players will be willing to risk it I think.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum