GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 50]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

If Norris is doing full practices I don't see how they possibly justify putting him on LTIR. Right now they have $62k plus the AAV of one of bottom six, so at most just under $926K. That's not enough to sign Pinto (need $3M minimum to leave room for injury call-ups).

They can sign him then send him to Belleville (I believe he's waiver exempt). He will clearly need time to come up to speed and it will give them time to do a trade.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

According to 32 Thoughts, Sens offered Pinto 2 x $1.9M and his side started with 2 x $2.5M. I think $2.5M is a little ambitious.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Seems like the Drysdale deal would be fair for both sides. I can't help but feel like Dorion did this to himself

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:According to 32 Thoughts, Sens offered Pinto 2 x $1.9M and his side started with 2 x $2.5M.  I think $2.5M is a little ambitious.

I honestly think 2.5 is super fair with what he did and what he’ll likely do for the next two years.

That said, the Sens don’t have that space unless they trade Joseph.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:According to 32 Thoughts, Sens offered Pinto 2 x $1.9M and his side started with 2 x $2.5M.  I think $2.5M is a little ambitious.

I honestly think 2.5 is super fair with what he did and what he’ll likely do for the next two years.

No and making a trade becomes that much more difficult at the start of the year. There are only 8 teams who can take on the entirety of Joseph's contract right now. Most of them are already loaded with draft picks too. Philly remains the best fit IMO. Maybe there's a way to trade Joseph and Boucher for a 2nd. That seems like probably the best outcome at this point. Or Ottawa throws in a sweetener and they get someone like Oliver Bonk. Hard to say what happens really.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

No and making a trade becomes that much more difficult at the start of the year. There are only 8 teams who can take on the entirety of Joseph's contract right now. Most of them are already loaded with draft picks too. Philly remains the best fit IMO. Maybe there's a way to trade Joseph and Boucher for a 2nd. That seems like probably the best outcome at this point. Or Ottawa throws in a sweetener and they get someone like Oliver Bonk. Hard to say what happens really.

I don’t know much about Bonk except the obvious and I’m having a hard time reading what Boucher will be.
We’re at the point where he could either start rising or he could drop into a player that won’t play in the NHL.

It’s a tough spot to be in.
I wouldn’t want to be in PD shoes but he sure did lace them up himself.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I don’t know much about Bonk except the obvious and I’m having a hard time reading what Boucher will be.
We’re at the point where he could either start rising or he could drop into a player that won’t play in the NHL.

This is 100% on him. The only part of this outside of his control was Murray going on LTIR but he should have seen this coming. Leafs play dirty and this is a move that helps them not us. But the stupidity of giving MacEwen and Hamonic contracts without securing Pinto is as bonehead a move as it comes.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

This is 100% on him. The only part of this outside of his control was Murray going on LTIR but he should have seen this coming. Leafs play dirty and this is a move that helps them not us. But the stupidity of giving MacEwen and Hamonic contracts without securing Pinto is as bonehead a move as it comes.

Those contracts don’t affect pinto signing whatsoever. If they weren’t there somebody else would be taking their spot. Makes no difference. The only contract you could point to for this argument is Tarasenko, but imo you can’t pass that up, you do that any day of the week. He’s better than Pinto.

Also funny how fans keep screaming to put Norris on LTIR, but if he’s practicing there would be no reason to do that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:

What's the point of being fair when you have all the leverage. Things change dramatically when the player has *any* leverage. You don't think they will play hardball when they have arbitration rights?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
Those contracts don’t affect pinto signing whatsoever. If they weren’t there somebody else would be taking their spot. Makes no difference. The only contract you could point to for this argument is Tarasenko, but imo you can’t pass that up, you do that any day of the week. He’s better than Pinto.

Also funny how fans keep screaming to put Norris on LTIR, but if he’s practicing there would be no reason to do that.

This is the part people seem to continually miss. Yes, the MacEwen signing was unnecessary but probably promoted by G. But from the perspective of fitting Pinto it's a moot point because he's pretty much at league minimum (most of our prospects that people would cry about giving icetime instead will make *more*).

Replacing Hamonic with, say, Kleven will net you less than $200K in cap space.

You need to move a Brannstrom-level contract, minimum. And I do mean minimum. Ideally you move $3M to leave ~$1M for injury callups. Moving something more substantial (i.e. Joseph) will also leave you some deadline money to upgrade.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'd much rather have Brannstrom at $2M than Joseph at $2.95M. It's not even close.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Svechnikov still out for the Canes, so there is chance.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They have a great chance regardless. Sens can go up against any team this year

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:They have a great chance regardless. Sens can go up against any team this year

No Norris, no Pinto and likely starting the season with only 11 forwards. Not ideal. Let's not short-change the Canes. With a full lineup they are top 5 in the league (some say even higher). They are a legit Cup contender. *Can* the Sens beat them? Of course. But it would be an upset at this point.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:They have a great chance regardless. Sens can go up against any team this year

No Norris, no Pinto and likely starting the season with only 11 forwards.  Not ideal.  Let's not short-change the Canes.  With a full lineup they are top 5 in the league (some say even higher).  They are a legit Cup contender.  *Can* the Sens beat them?  Of course.  But it would be an upset at this point.

They don’t look like cup contenders to me.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It looks like all signs are pointing to a pinto signing and potential trade tomorrow or Friday. They can’t do anything today as they can’t play two men short tonight. After tonight they can recall somebody on emergency basis if Norris isn’t ready for Saturday.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The top line was horrible tonight. I didn’t expect a win but still, probably the worst game stutzle has ever played

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I heard the same thing. It's also possible Norris suits up this weekend. Honestly I'm not sure what my preference would be - keep Norris or Brann. I actually think Kubalik is the better chip to trade

If we're able to flip Kubalik for a pick and not give up an asset, I'd be okay with that. He's unlikely to re-sign here anyway and I am sure most people can justify Pinto over Kubalik anyway

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum