GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+2
Ev
wprager
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I think without a POHO (to shield him from a meddling owner) or experienced AGM Dorion had way too much on his plate to be involved in assessing draft picks or prospects.  Mistakes were made, for sure, and those that made the mistakes are (mostly) gone.  You can certainly argue that Dorion is not the man for the job going forward but you can't blame the poor drafting solely on him.

Oh I don’t expect him to be GM past this year by any means

Sens need to make playoffs for dorion to stay. Even then they'd have to at least make it a 6 game series if they're not going to win a round.

This pinto situation is a mess. So is having $5M on unusable cap space. He'll get pinto signed. But this shouldn't be that difficult

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I think without a POHO (to shield him from a meddling owner) or experienced AGM Dorion had way too much on his plate to be involved in assessing draft picks or prospects.  Mistakes were made, for sure, and those that made the mistakes are (mostly) gone.  You can certainly argue that Dorion is not the man for the job going forward but you can't blame the poor drafting solely on him.

Oh I don’t expect him to be GM past this year by any means

Sens need to make playoffs for dorion to stay. Even then they'd have to at least make it a 6 game series if they're not going to win a round.

This pinto situation is a mess. So is having $5M on unusable cap space. He'll get pinto signed. But this shouldn't be that difficult

The problem is pintos camp is overvaluing his worth on on a one year deal

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I understand why Dorion doesn't want to give him $2.5M on a one year deal. Replacing MacEwen and Kelly with Greig and Smejkal will actually *reduce* their available cap space -- Sens twitter doesn't appear to understand that. With the recent demotions of JBD and Sokolov they have $1.7M for Pinto. That would represent a 28% raise, but it would be a lowball offer for a 20-goal scoring rookie.

But he's got no leverage and could be replaced with Greig making about half that. If Norris is healthy that is doable (but not great for the long term).

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

If they don't want to move Joseph they can move Kubalik. He's imo the only other option aside from Brann. Brwnn has looked really good and I'm not sure you want to risk a making our defense worse. Kubalik probably doesn't also need a throw in. They can probably get a 2nd or 3rd for him

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So if you end up with a 1st, 2nd 4th and Sebrango for Cat it's not a bad haul

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If they don't want to move Joseph they can move Kubalik. He's imo the only other option aside from Brann. Brwnn has looked really good and I'm not sure you want to risk a making our defense worse. Kubalik probably doesn't also need a throw in. They can probably get a 2nd or 3rd for him

I was saying the same earlier. However I started thinking that replacing Brann (a leftie) with, for example, Kleven (a rightie) would even out our L/R situation on D and how bad could Kleven be playing 3rd pairing minutes behind the two top pairing each getting 22-24 minutes, right?

Then I thought a bit more and realized that 3 of our top-four are all lefties. Hamonic is a rightie. So replacing Brann (L) with Kleven (R) would actually make 2 of our 3 pairings same-side.

If one of our top-three lefties cannot make a successful switch to their off-side then we are going to have a problem. One solution would be to play one of them on the third pairing. The other is to move one of them and replace him with a RHD of suitable quality. Of course, good luck finding a team willing to trade a top-pairing RHD for Chabot.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We need kubalik for depth. He’s gonna have a big year

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Then Brannstrom it is. Can Giroux be our 2LC until Norris is back?

On the waiver front, Garrioch is saying that some teams have interest in JBD and Sokolov. We'll find out in a little over a half hour.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

...and they both cleared waivers.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What a surprise (not)

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Whatever is the Sens mood on Twitter, you can bet the opposite will happen.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Whatever is the Sens mood on Twitter, you can bet the opposite will happen.

Some people will never be happy

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:What a surprise (not)

Equally upsetting that no one wants our 1st Rd pick and former team Canada wjhc standout for free.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:What a surprise (not)

Equally upsetting that no one wants our 1st Rd pick and former team Canada wjhc standout for free.

Well, no one wants to try the experiment with a 2 year contract.
No one wanted hoffman either.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hopefully this lights a fire under JBD. He has the tools and the skill to be a bottom pair d, he just needs some more fire and confidence imo. He needs to play smarter

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Preseason means nothing but dam this team looks good and that’s without Norris, Pinto, and Batherson

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think Batherson will take his game to another level this year. Haven't seen him skate like this ever in his career. Hoping one of Pinto or Norris start the season with us. Can't afford both out of the lineup to start. Also hoping Smejkal makes the team and pushes MacEwen into the press box. Good on the PK and he provides an element of offense. I like his game.

The defense looks great. Hamonic is who he is. I wish we had a better option at 6D but his minutes and role can be managed.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think Batherson will take his game to another level this year. Haven't seen him skate like this ever in his career. Hoping one of Pinto or Norris start the season with us. Can't afford both out of the lineup to start. Also hoping Smejkal makes the team and pushes MacEwen into the press box. Good on the PK and he provides an element of offense. I like his game.

The defense looks great. Hamonic is who he is. I wish we had a better option at 6D but his minutes and role can be managed.

IMO he played the same way before he got injured. He has the ability to be a point per game player.

Smejkal should make it but I don’t think he’s tied to macewen since they play different wings.

I have no issue with hamonic, he’s the perfect 6th D really. He’s fearless

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum