GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+3
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
wprager
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next

Go down  Message [Page 22 of 29]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Pittsburgh is pretty much in the same position San Jose was when they first acquired Karl. They have a two-year window at most.

San Jose's haul for Karl was nowhere close to what we got too

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Karlsson didn't do very well when he had to share the spotlight. And what happens in year 2 when Sid and Kris are 37 and Geno is 38, with a bad prospect pool?

In two years? They trade him again.

I don’t think they honestly aquired him for the next 4 years.
This is just to try and have another shot at the cup in the next two years.
I think he’ll likely play ahead of letang.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He's also significantly more tradable at 10M cap hit. Of Pitt decides to retain some salary too they can move him for even more. I agree this was a 2 year deal - a cup contender in 2 years will acquire him

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He's also significantly more tradable at 10M cap hit. Of Pitt decides to retain some salary too they can move him for even more. I agree this was a 2 year deal - a cup contender in 2 years will acquire him

If he continues scoring 100+ points and winning Norris awards, sure. But past history says he will play 60 or fewer games, score about 40 points and without the gaudy offensive stats his defensive skills are rather limited.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He put up 100 pts with no one last season. Not saying he hits 100 again but 75+ and a playoff run shouldn't be ruled out

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He put up 100 pts with no one last season. Not saying he hits 100 again but 75+ and a playoff run shouldn't be ruled out

So which is the outlier -- last season when he was the only one carrying the offense and played a full season, or the previous 4 seasons when he had to share the spotlight (and ice time) with another offensive defenseman and did not play 60 games in any of those seasons?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He put up 100 pts with no one last season. Not saying he hits 100 again but 75+ and a playoff run shouldn't be ruled out

So which is the outlier -- last season when he was the only one carrying the offense and played a full season, or the previous 4 seasons when he had to share the spotlight (and ice time) with another offensive defenseman and did not play 60 games in any of those seasons?

I wouldn’t want to predict the point totals for kalrsson next year but to think he’s not going to be an important addition to that team would be underestimating what he brings to the table.

They’ve also done a good job adding graves to their D Corp.
I had Pittsburg missing the playoffs at the draft this year but now… I’m not quite sure. Their window to compete is definitely closing. But did they just pry it back open? I’d say so.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Brad Treliving is my new hero. Signed Martin Jones today Facepalm Laughing3

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The leafs refuse to seriously address their goaltending position.
They could have probably traded Nylander for Hellybuyck (straight up or in a 3 way) and come out of it a better team but no… they are obsessed to keep this core together. This core that can’t come near to getting it done.

But who am I to care.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Core fore!

Can't help but think this year is the end of Toronto's window. Matthews could walk and the Nylander situation can go south very quickly. Samsonov will probably walk at the end of the year and Tavares isn't getting younger. Domi and Bertuzzi on one year deals - i think the writing is on the wall for a collapse this year

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Core fore!

Can't help but think this year is the end of Toronto's window. Matthews could walk and the Nylander situation can go south very quickly. Samsonov will probably walk at the end of the year and Tavares isn't getting younger. Domi and Bertuzzi on one year deals - i think the writing is on the wall for a collapse this year

I really can’t make predictions on who wants to sign an extension or not but I really don’t think that the players are obsessed with keeping the four of them together. To me that’s external pressure. I’m sure the players would prefer to have an actual competitive team rather than a team that has average goaltending and defence at best.

One thing is for sure is this team isn’t addressing their biggest needs in between the pipes.
They keep trying to bring in toughness but so far the problem is the lack of compete from the core and the inability to score goals.
Either that core learns to play with heart of you get rid of the ones that won’t. Too many passengers playing big minutes.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Core fore!

I really can’t make predictions on who wants to sign an extension or not but I really don’t think that the players are obsessed with keeping the four of them together. To me that’s external pressure. I’m sure the players would prefer to have an actual competitive team rather than a team that has average goaltending and defence at best.

One thing is for sure is this team isn’t addressing their biggest needs in between the pipes.
They keep trying to bring in toughness but so far the problem is the lack of compete from the core and the inability to score goals.
Either that core learns to play with heart of you get rid of the ones that won’t. Too many passengers playing big minutes.

Certain players just don't have what it takes to compete in the playoffs. Matthews seems like one of those guy, Marner too. They crumble under the pressure instead of elevating their games. The fact that Matthews isn't signed yet is telling. I'm not sure Arizona is the best place for them given all the arena challenges and what not, but at the same time he could be the marketing tool Arizona needs to make all of this happen. They have the cap space, assets, and picks to also go all in next year.

I also can't help but feel that Nylander won't be signed. But they also won't trade him in year to recoup assets. They should have gone all-in for Hellybuck but maybe he doesn't want to play in Canada? There are definitely goalies out there better than Samsonov, Woll and Martin Jones

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Krejci will be back. The Bruins aren't (yet) totally screwed.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Krejci will be back.  The Bruins aren't (yet) totally screwed.

Where did you see this?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:

Where did you see this?

Hmm, I thought it was tweeted by the Bruins but now I am beginning to think it was a fake account. Dammit, Elon!

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Where did you see this?

Hmm, I thought it was tweeted by the Bruins but now I am beginning to think it was a fake account.  Dammit, Elon!

Yupp. I think you got bamboozled.

Hot take here, but i think Toronto, NJ, and Carolina are my locks to make the playoffs. Boston is going to take a huge step back, Tampa may be starting to age out, and the Rags are hit or miss. Pens, Sens, Sabres, Florida, seem to be the bubble teams each with their owns strengths and weaknesses.

I do think the Sens will surprise a lot of people and be a lot closer to the top of the division, though I still think we're a piece away in the middle six

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Where did you see this?

Hmm, I thought it was tweeted by the Bruins but now I am beginning to think it was a fake account.  Dammit, Elon!

Hot take here, but i think Toronto, NJ, and Carolina are my locks to make the playoffs. Boston is going to take a huge step back, Tampa may be starting to age out, and the Rags are hit or miss. Pens, Sens, Sabres, Florida,  seem to be the bubble teams each with their owns strengths and weaknesses.

I do think the Sens will surprise a lot of people and be a lot closer to the top of the division, though I still think we're a piece away in the middle six

Injury baring, I think I’d agree there. Except I think NYR would have to really be stupid to miss the playoffs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Where did you see this?

Hot take here, but i think Toronto, NJ, and Carolina are my locks to make the playoffs. Boston is going to take a huge step back, Tampa may be starting to age out, and the Rags are hit or miss. Pens, Sens, Sabres, Florida,  seem to be the bubble teams each with their owns strengths and weaknesses.

I think the jury is still out on the Devils' goaltending situation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 22 of 29]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum