GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

+4
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
wprager
tim1_2
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Early season favorite for the Sens' Masterton nom?

MarkStone

Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:And there's your NHL first star of the week.  They should give Nicholle one as well.  

They give up 3 minors in the first and come out having given up just 7 shots on goal?  How did Edmonton end up with 37?  I see from the face off stats the Oilers were 55%, so they must have kicked that up a few notches after the first (Sens were winning something like 80% at that time).

Hoffman learns a lesson that you score more often from closer in, perhaps.  Say what you will about him, he's still leading the Sens in shots on goal.  With his shot, eventually they start going in.

Phaneuf leads the way with 6 blocked shots and no PIMs.  Solid game by the veteran.  Let's hope this is the start of a trend.  

Karlsson with more short-handed ice time than powerplay icetime.  Take that you weenie hockey writers.

You can't coach something like this but you can certainly take advantage of it as a coach.  What a team-building moment.

Sens leapfrog over Tampa into 3rd in the Atlantic.

Dubnyk had three shutouts and will be first star

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Guess we'll see.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.nhl.com/ice/threestarsstandings.htm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

MarkStone wrote:
wprager wrote:And there's your NHL first star of the week.  They should give Nicholle one as well.  

They give up 3 minors in the first and come out having given up just 7 shots on goal?  How did Edmonton end up with 37?  I see from the face off stats the Oilers were 55%, so they must have kicked that up a few notches after the first (Sens were winning something like 80% at that time).

Hoffman learns a lesson that you score more often from closer in, perhaps.  Say what you will about him, he's still leading the Sens in shots on goal.  With his shot, eventually they start going in.

Phaneuf leads the way with 6 blocked shots and no PIMs.  Solid game by the veteran.  Let's hope this is the start of a trend.  

Karlsson with more short-handed ice time than powerplay icetime.  Take that you weenie hockey writers.

You can't coach something like this but you can certainly take advantage of it as a coach.  What a team-building moment.

Sens leapfrog over Tampa into 3rd in the Atlantic.

Dubnyk had three shutouts and will be first star

What a gutsy win. Oilers look like a real force to be reckoned with.

This is the type of game that if built on can go a long way for a young team. EDM was 7-1 coming into this game and Ottawa's fate in Calgary should have been a lot better.

Good W Sens. Now they have beaten Mtl and Edm. Win the next two (which should be feasible) and they'll have a 7-3 start to the year. Can't ask for much better than that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Pyatt was one of the steals of the offseason.   skates hard, is a Wing Dang Doodle in the corners, has some sneaky skills, excellent positionally.  Dorion looks great on that one.
Boucher looks great on that one.
Who hired boucher and signed Pyatt though?

StickmanDancing

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think next game will be very tough, coming home after that emotional rollercoaster of a road trip. Thank heavens it's Carolina and not in Raleigh. If they get past that one then they could go on a bit of a roll.

After Carolina we have Vancouver on the second game of their Eastern swing, playing the second of back-to-back nights. Going East the time change often gets you 2-3 days into the trip, and the night before they'll be chasing the Smurfs all over the Bell Centre ice. Plus we already know we can beat them.

After Vancouver we have home-and-home with Buffalo, with Nashville in-between. All winnable games.

Then back home to host LA. LA without Quick is not the same team and, just like Vancouver, they will be playing the second game in two nights after chasing those same Smurfs the previous day. Their Montreal game is an afternoon affair, so they won't be as tired as the Canucks, but hopefully they'll be full of turkey (I take it the afternoon game is because it's the US Thanksgiving).

After LA we host Minnesota (time for Boucher to prove the Sens made the right choice), then a quick trip to Philly before coming back to host Nashville and Florida.

Honestly, I'm not in mortal fear of any of those. They could go on a serious run if they can get past the Hurricanes. And after all those games I mentioned, they head to Montreal.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's boucher's job to make sure they take it one game at a time now because that was a big win last night

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I think next game will be very tough, coming home after that emotional rollercoaster of a road trip.  Thank heavens it's Carolina and not in Raleigh.  If they get past that one then they could go on a bit of a roll.  

After Carolina we have Vancouver on the second game of their Eastern swing, playing the second of back-to-back nights.  Going East the time change often gets you 2-3 days into the trip, and the night before they'll be chasing the Smurfs all over the Bell Centre ice.  Plus we already know we can beat them.

After Vancouver we have home-and-home with Buffalo, with Nashville in-between.  All winnable games.

Then back home to host LA.  LA without Quick is not the same team and, just like Vancouver, they will be playing the second game in two nights after chasing those same Smurfs the previous day.  Their Montreal game is an afternoon affair, so they won't be as tired as the Canucks, but hopefully they'll be full of turkey (I take it the afternoon game is because it's the US Thanksgiving).

After LA we host Minnesota (time for Boucher to prove the Sens made the right choice), then a quick trip to Philly before coming back to host Nashville and Florida.  

Honestly, I'm not in mortal fear of any of those.  They could go on a serious run if they can get past the Hurricanes.  And after all those games I mentioned, they head to Montreal.

I know I'm looking pretty far ahead but after we beat those teams, I can't wait to kick the Dung out of Montreal.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:I think next game will be very tough, coming home after that emotional rollercoaster of a road trip.  Thank heavens it's Carolina and not in Raleigh.  If they get past that one then they could go on a bit of a roll.  

After Carolina we have Vancouver on the second game of their Eastern swing, playing the second of back-to-back nights.  Going East the time change often gets you 2-3 days into the trip, and the night before they'll be chasing the Smurfs all over the Bell Centre ice.  Plus we already know we can beat them.

After Vancouver we have home-and-home with Buffalo, with Nashville in-between.  All winnable games.

Then back home to host LA.  LA without Quick is not the same team and, just like Vancouver, they will be playing the second game in two nights after chasing those same Smurfs the previous day.  Their Montreal game is an afternoon affair, so they won't be as tired as the Canucks, but hopefully they'll be full of turkey (I take it the afternoon game is because it's the US Thanksgiving).

Honestly, I'm not in mortal fear of any of those.  They could go on a serious run if they can get past the Hurricanes.  And after all those games I mentioned, they head to Montreal.

I know I'm looking pretty far ahead but after we beat those teams, I can't wait to kick the Dung out of Montreal.

Totally.

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:http://www.nhl.com/ice/threestarsstandings.htm

Anderson gets first star of the week....

https://www.nhl.com/news/craig-anderson-devan-dubnyk-and-shea-weber-named-stars-of-the-week/c-283270350

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Given the circumstances, I don't think Dubnyk will mind all that much. It's not like his next contract depends on it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phaneuf was great, Ceci looked a world better, Neil and Kelly continue to impress.

And seriously, who the Diddle is Tom Pyatt???

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:Phaneuf was great, Ceci looked a world better, Neil and Kelly continue to impress.

He was a Rangers' fourth rounder coming out of the lockout year. Picked one spot ahead of Niklas Hjalmarsson. Maybe in another year he could have been a second/third rounder (after the lockout year you had had two draft years represented) but that's rather debatable. What he is now is a guy trying to get back into the NHL after spending some time in Europe. Good for him for taking advantage of this opportunity but let's not fool ourselves, here -- he's a 3rd/4th liner .

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Phaneuf was great, Ceci looked a world better, Neil and Kelly continue to impress.

He was a Rangers' fourth rounder coming out of the lockout year.  Picked one spot ahead of Niklas Hjalmarsson.  Maybe in another year he could have been a second/third rounder (after the lockout year you had had two draft years represented) but that's rather debatable.  What he is now is a guy trying to get back into the NHL after spending some time in Europe.  Good for him for taking advantage of this opportunity but let's not fool ourselves, here -- he's a 3rd/4th liner .

Third liners who can play against any line and contribute offense from time to time are very valuable. We got a good one.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We got several, add do most teams.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Pyatt had one thing going for him, the coach's trust.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Pyatt had one thing going for him, the coach's trust.

Yes. And speed, tenacity, defensive awareness and good hands.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum