GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Rio Olympics

+4
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Flo The Action
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

612016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Warner wins the 110m hurdles and is now 1st in the overall standings! Beats Eaton by over 1/5 s (0.22s to be precise). I guess that's enough to overcome a 130-or-so point difference? The Decathlon is kinda weird that way.

P.S. I wonder if Brianne helped out her country by "celebrating" her husband's 1st place day 1 (because as we all know from 'Rocky' "women weaken legs!")

622016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:22 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
And we've also heard about Lochte and the other swimmers making the whole story up.

more to come

The whole thing reeks of weirdness. Lochte and other swimmers were robbed at gunpoint, yet he didn't report it, and also the thieves didn't take his watch, phone, or wallet? Huh? I'm inclined to believe that Lochte and the others made this story up for attention or to cover up something else.

632016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:22 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hold on, though, the discus throw is currently on; Warner placed 8th in Group A and Group B (Eaton) has not gone yet. So Warner is probably only ahead because his discus results have been added in and Eaton's are still to come. I wonder if women weaken arms/shoulders as well.

He moved up to 2nd after the hurdles.

642016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just saw a tweet that Eaton threw a "SB 43.15" on his first throw. SB=Season Best, so the best throw he's had this year, essentially. That's well short of Warner's 44.93 in his group A. So this bodes well for Warner to get even closer.

652016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:43 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

After discus, Warner is still 115 back of Eaton. But he is 62 points up on 3rd place (recall he was in 3rd, 1 point back of 2nd yesterday). Pole Vault goes in about an hour.

Just looked it up and Warner doesn't stand a chance. His personal best in pole vault is 4.80 (and only 4.70 this year) and Eaton is at 5.40 (and nothing under 5m over the last few years). He is also almost 10 seconds slower in the 1500.

He'll have to jump and run out of his skin to catch Eaton. But that's what competition is all about -- the best bringing the best out of each other.

662016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:22 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stittsville's Erica Wiebe to wrestle for Gold. The final is at 5:30pm EST today.

672016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Awwesome! So at least a silver and a chance to upgrade it to gold.

Warner has slipped to 3rd after the pole vault -- not his best event, that's for sure. He cleared 4.70 which is his season best and 10 off his personal best (winner did 5.40). Javelin goes at 5:35 He's not going to catch Easton. Hopefully he hangs on to bronze or grabs silver.

682016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Brooke Henderson birdies 5 of the last 6, shoots -7 on the day and is now just 2 shots back. She usually improves as she goes along.

692016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A second bronze for Benefeito in the 10m platform (she won one earlier in 10m synchro).

702016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That's 15. The wrestler is guaranteed one and de Grasse is virtually guaranteed, so there's 17. Bishop ran the fastest qualifying time and could get another gold tonight. So that would be 18. If Warner hangs on and keeps the bronze or gets the silver, that would be 19. If Brooke continues shooting birdies that would be 20.

There are probably quite a few more medal hopefuls I don't know.

712016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The men's 4x100 is also qualified for the finals, finishing 4th overall, and that's without de Grasse running. They have a good chance at a medal as well.

722016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Stittsville's Erica Wiebe to wrestle for Gold.  The final is at 5:30pm EST today.

So apparently the match is now scheduled for 6:15.

732016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Stittsville's Erica Wiebe to wrestle for Gold.  The final is at 5:30pm EST today.

So apparently the match is now scheduled for 6:15.

And a golden match it was.

742016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:32 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wiebe with the gold, Warner hangs on for the bronze.

De Grasse goes for silver (?) in a few minutes.

Bishop had second fastest time and qualifies for the finals on Saturday (she was coasting at the end and just got passed right at the end).

So Canad could have a Gold-Silver-Bronze day. Am I missing anyone?

752016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:That's 15.  The wrestler is guaranteed one and de Grasse is virtually guaranteed, so there's 17.  Bishop ran the fastest qualifying time and could get another gold tonight.  So that would be 18.  If Warner hangs on and keeps the bronze or gets the silver, that would be 19.  If Brooke continues shooting birdies that would be 20.  

There are probably quite a few more medal hopefuls I don't know.

I was off on Bishop -- that was the semis and she goes for gold on Saturday. But still, three medals, brings our total to 18. Target was 19 (to beat London) and stretch was 20. They may get there with just Bishop and Henderson. Then the men's 4x100 could smash through the stretch goal.

762016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ignoring the LA Games (when the Eastern Bloc didn't show up) their largest haul (total medal count) was 22, in Atlanta (they had 3 gold that year). We already have 4 gold and, who knows, maybe that BMX biker can get #22? Any other obscure "sports" we're good at?

772016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

On tap for today:

- Golf round 3 is under way -- Henderson (2 strokes back) tees off at 10
- Women's soccer team goes for bronze against host Brazil at noon (good luck with the refs)
- Men's 4x100 finals 9:35PM (Bolt and de Grasse anchoring their teams)
- BMX semifinals - Tory Nyhaug (current leader) goes at 12:42, then the finals (assuming he makes it) at 2:10

Others:
- 50k "walk" has a Canadian who was 10th in the 20k
- women's 67k TaeKwonDo round of 16 has Mellissa Pagnotta (no idea where she's ranked)
- women's kayak four 500m sprint preliminaries (no idea where Canada is ranked)
- equestrian individual jumping finals (Lamaze had 0 faults in qualifying so I assume he's in)
- women's pentathlon  (Canada has 2 competing) swimming at 11, fencing at 1
- men's 10m platform preliminaries
- women's pole vault finals at 7:30 (large group qualifying at 4.60m and Canadian Kelsie Ahbe is next group at 4.65m -- that set a new personal best for her so another "probably not")
- women's 4x400 at 7:40 (no idea where Canada sits, finals are tomorrow)
- women's 4x100 at 9:15PM (Canada was 0.77 back of third-best so probably not)

Last edited by wprager on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

782016 Rio Olympics - Page 5 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:53 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Thanks for the update Walter!

These Olympics have been awesomely entertaining so far...here's hoping Brooke can work a little magic today and tomorrow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum