GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Rio Olympics

+4
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Flo The Action
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

162016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:And just like the horses in Dressage "The Wizard" will not be getting any medals.

That's a shame.

172016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:30 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Man, our swimmers are pretty great. The nice thing is that most of them are super young still, so they all should be competing for another Olympics or two or three. That poor Santo Condorelli kid...missed the bronze by .03 of a second.

182016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:38 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oleksiak had the 2nd best time in some preliminary heats.  What happened there?  I'm down here in the States and the coverage is pretty much USA only.

EDIT: It was the 100 meter free style. She had qualified for the finals with the 2nd best time (and a new Canadian record).

192016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Golden Penny! Oleksiak wins her 4th medal, sharing the gold with an American swimmer. So two bronze in relay races and a silver and gold in individual. Wonder if they let her swim the first and last leg if she would have another silver or two.

202016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:22 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That performance by Penny last night was crazy. She was so far behind and then tore up the last few metres. Amazing. 16 years old.

212016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:55 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Canada now has more gold medals at this Olympics (2) than they had in 2012 (1). Still not a huge number, but definitely good news. Keep them coming!

222016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:21 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:Canada now has more gold medals at this Olympics (2) than they had in 2012 (1). Still not a huge number, but definitely good news. Keep them coming!

Another gold? Who? I was in-transit most of the day (left at 11 and just got home at 9, then had to unpack and get groceries). My brother-in-law's house had horrible wifi and only NBC for sports coverage. It's good to be back home.

232016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, got it -- Rosie McLennan in trampoline.

Has anyone with a Y-chromosome won anything for Canada?

242016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Whoa, Hope Solo went ballistic.  I actually heard the report while waiting at the border.  What a loser.  USA lost (a big upset) 4-3 and Solo went off on a rant about how Sweden played like they were afraid.  Afraid of embarrassing her even more?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/hope-solo-tolerated-and-excused-in-victory-exposes-herself-in-olympic-defeat/2016/08/12/6658ec0e-60e4-11e6-9d2f-b1a3564181a1_story.html

252016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

P.S. I just noticed the article title includes "exposes herself". I can't imagine the writer of the article didn't realize what he/she was writing (Solo got in some hot water when some rather, umm, disturbing "selfies" somehow got leaked).

262016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ashton Eaton (Olympic champion in the decathlon, representing Team USA in Rio) was wearing a Canada cap while cheering on his wife, who is competing in the heptathlon for Canada. And, of course, he got flak from the twitter trolls:

272016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:54 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Ashton Eaton (Olympic champion in the decathlon, representing Team USA in Rio) was wearing a Canada cap while cheering on his wife, who is competing in the heptathlon for Canada.  And, of course, he got flak from the twitter trolls:

Oh, Twitter. Laugh1

282016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"Insain" Bolt wasn't even trying in his preliminary. Jogs across the finish line in 10:07. Canada's de Grasse won his heat in 10:04 but he's definitely has his work cut out for him. Bolt should win the gold easily.

292016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Canada's Golden Penny goes for her fifth medal tonight as the aquatic events finish up. Meanwhile Brianne Theisen-Eaton is 3rd in the heptathlon, with the final event (800 meters) coming up in about 20 minutes.

302016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, too bad, the 4x100 me team finished 5th, so Penny doesn't get a 5th medal.

Theisen-Eaton wins bronze. Not bad, considering she started the day in 6th.

312016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

12 medals and not a single one from any of the men. The odds against this must be pretty astronomical.

322016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There are still quite a few events left where the men should medal. De Grasse may not get a medal in the 100 (although he certainly thinks he will) but he very well could medal in the 200. Mark de Jonge in sprint kayak (already has an Olympic medal, world record holder). Van Koeverden is past his prime but you never know. Damian Warner (decathlon) could get on the podium.

332016 Rio Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Canada was targeting 19 medals and a top-12 finish in total medal count:
http://www.ownthepodium.org/Resources/News/2016/Canada-targets-19-medals-at-the-Rio-Olympic-Games

They are currently 11th with 12 medals, all from the women. I obviously don't have the breakdown over which of the men's events to-date we were expecting to medal in, so it's unfair to think it should have been an even split, but you'd think that 3-5 medals *by now) from the men was not unreasonable.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum