GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Rio Olympics

+4
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Flo The Action
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

462016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Still bitter about our Men basketball team right now.
Could have easily been the 2nd best team in the world on paper, ended up choking TWICE in qualifications against inferior teams...

I'd care, except I find basketball to be an incredibly Dung sport.

BOOM SHAKALAKA!!!!!

472016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:30 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

De Grasse in the 200 m (semi-finals tonight at 9PM)
Damian Warner decathlon (first 5 events happening today -- he won at the PanAm game and Russians aren't coming so there's a chance)
Brooke Henderson is #3 on the LPGA tour so for sure a chance (she's 4 back after opening round)
Melissa Bishop (800m) with the fastest time today, advances to semis tomorrow at 5PM.
Meaghan Benfeito (already with a bronze in synchro diving) is leading the 10m platform preliminaries (her synchro partner is 14th), just one diver to go (I believe they do more than one dive each though).

A couple of female wrestlers but I don't know where they are ranked.

Men's volleyball and equestrian team jumping both finish 4th.

482016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:36 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Warner is currently 2nd, 95 points back of Ashton Eaton (the guy who got flak for cheering on his Canadian wife). He was 1st in the 100m, 3rd in long jump, 23rd in shotput (Eaton was 10th). Two more events to day (high jump and 400 m). Looking good.

492016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Benefeito 3rd after her second jump (lots of divers still to complete their second dive, though, including the Chinese girl who was second. Must have been a pretty bad second dive.

502016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Benefeito slipping to 4th; Filion is 20th after their 3rd dive.  Top-18 advance to the semis tomorrow morning so Filion has 2 more dives to make up 2 spots.  Gonna be tough, but if she doesn't have the dives in her to get out of this hole she wouldn't do much at the semis anyway.

EDIT: Sorry, mis-read the results. They don't indicate how many dives an athlete has completed and some of the bottom ones, after 3 dives, will hover around the same number as the better ones after just 2 dives. I updated the standings and Filion is 8th. So assuming nothing drastic happens looks like both should qualify for the semis. Tomorrow at 10AM.

512016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Benefeito and Filion finished 7th and 9th, so both are in the semis.

522016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Warner still 2nd, but move closer to Eaton (68 points back); but he's just 1 point ahead of Jeremy Taiwo. The 400m is happening now -- Warner's PB is better than Taiwo's so he should maintain his lead over him and build on it. But he will likely fall further back of Eaton, whose best is more than a second better.

532016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They are in heat 4 which goes in about 20 minutes.

542016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Still bitter about our Men basketball team right now.
Could have easily been the 2nd best team in the world on paper, ended up choking TWICE in qualifications against inferior teams...

I'd care, except I find basketball to be an incredibly Dung sport.

Why, because It's a sport where skill is actually important?  Laugh1

552016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Warner finished 3rd in the 400, slips to 3rd overall -- just 11 points back of 2nd but 132 behind Eaton. He's got his work cut out for him tomorrow.

562016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Could you ever imagine this between Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson?

2016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 CqGsujEWIAASdPo

572016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dangerous place. We've heard of Lochte and some other swim team members being robbed at gunpoint. A member of the UK team was similarly robbed and they've been told not to go outside of the complex wearing their Great Britain kits or carrying anything of value unless absolutely necessary.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/1630941/rio-olympics-2016-british-stars-warned-against-leaving-olympic-village-after-team-gb-star-star-held-at-gunpoint/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunNewspaper-_-20160818-_-Sport-_-548073748

They have 85,000 troops assigned for security at the games. One of those was shot dead yesterday when he made a wrong turn and ended up in some drug boss controlled area. He was not on Olympic duty and this was not near the compound, but still.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/83133664/Rio-Olympics-2016-Officer-dies-after-being-shot-in-the-head-in-favela-attack

582016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:43 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And on the lighter side:

Japanese Pole Vaulter's Olympic Dream Crushed by His Own Joystick

Ogita was attempting to clear a height of 5.3 metres in group A of the first round of the pole vault, when his leg came in contact with the bar. As he began to drop back down towards the ground, his shin grazed the bar, causing it to wobble dangerously. But it was his joystick that delivered the final blow. Already unsteady, the bar was dislodged from its holdings when Ogita’s old fellow decided to make an appearance and slap the metal.

592016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:31 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Dangerous place.  We've heard of Lochte and some other swim team members being robbed at gunpoint.  A member of the UK team was similarly robbed and they've been told not to go outside of the complex wearing their Great Britain kits or carrying anything of value unless absolutely necessary.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/1630941/rio-olympics-2016-british-stars-warned-against-leaving-olympic-village-after-team-gb-star-star-held-at-gunpoint/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunNewspaper-_-20160818-_-Sport-_-548073748

They have 85,000 troops assigned for security at the games.  One of those was shot dead yesterday when he made a wrong turn and ended up in some drug boss controlled area.  He was not on Olympic duty and this was not near the compound, but still.  
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/83133664/Rio-Olympics-2016-Officer-dies-after-being-shot-in-the-head-in-favela-attack

And we've also heard about Lochte and the other swimmers making the whole story up.

more to come

602016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the more:

612016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Warner wins the 110m hurdles and is now 1st in the overall standings! Beats Eaton by over 1/5 s (0.22s to be precise). I guess that's enough to overcome a 130-or-so point difference? The Decathlon is kinda weird that way.

P.S. I wonder if Brianne helped out her country by "celebrating" her husband's 1st place day 1 (because as we all know from 'Rocky' "women weaken legs!")

622016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:22 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
And we've also heard about Lochte and the other swimmers making the whole story up.

more to come

The whole thing reeks of weirdness. Lochte and other swimmers were robbed at gunpoint, yet he didn't report it, and also the thieves didn't take his watch, phone, or wallet? Huh? I'm inclined to believe that Lochte and the others made this story up for attention or to cover up something else.

632016 Rio Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:22 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hold on, though, the discus throw is currently on; Warner placed 8th in Group A and Group B (Eaton) has not gone yet. So Warner is probably only ahead because his discus results have been added in and Eaton's are still to come. I wonder if women weaken arms/shoulders as well.

He moved up to 2nd after the hurdles.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum