GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guy Boucher hired as Ottawa's head coach + Crawford signed as assistant

+11
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
wprager
SensHulk
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Hobiesens
Ev
Hoags
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:How is it the stupidest hire? You don't know anything about how he coaches or what works for us. It's ignorant to suggest we should know what will make a good coach anyway. We just had a coach who had no structure and it led is nowhere. Boucher provides structure and knows how to play defense while letting his top scorers score at will.

To say he doesn't fit our team is nonsense. Stamkps and St. Louis had 90 point years under Boucher. Stamkos won the Richard under Boucher

Boucher does not coach the trap. That was a meme from when he used his 1-3-1 for some games with Tqmpa. Boucher is all about puck possession which is what Karlsson excels at. Nobody should be worried about that. He should be putting up less points and focusing on d anyway

I'm really starting to wonder how you think about these things Flo. Just relax and let it play out. Boucher has had as much success as Boudreau at the end of the day
You just watch what he'll be asking of the team. We're a team that is primarily built in offence and as much as we need to be more conscious of playing a better defensive system I believe he will tie up karlsson's game. Karlsson was never the problem. He might be asked to play too many minutes but his style is not what is the problem. You can say he's about possession but there are more than one way to get there. I don't at all believe that his style of playing will mesh with our guys. Unless he's done an overhaul of his coaching style while away from the league.

Karlsson style is a bit of a problem. If he doesn't tune it up a bit, he won't win a cup being the top player and captain. You can't play like that all the time because then all the players try to emulate you. He needs to reign it in a bit. He's not a bad defender but he needs to be better for us to become a cup winner.

Boucher won't stifle his offense

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:How is it the stupidest hire? You don't know anything about how he coaches or what works for us. It's ignorant to suggest we should know what will make a good coach anyway. We just had a coach who had no structure and it led is nowhere. Boucher provides structure and knows how to play defense while letting his top scorers score at will.

To say he doesn't fit our team is nonsense. Stamkps and St. Louis had 90 point years under Boucher. Stamkos won the Richard under Boucher

Boucher does not coach the trap. That was a meme from when he used his 1-3-1 for some games with Tqmpa. Boucher is all about puck possession which is what Karlsson excels at. Nobody should be worried about that. He should be putting up less points and focusing on d anyway

I'm really starting to wonder how you think about these things Flo. Just relax and let it play out. Boucher has had as much success as Boudreau at the end of the day
You just watch what he'll be asking of the team. We're a team that is primarily built in offence and as much as we need to be more conscious of playing a better defensive system I believe he will tie up karlsson's game. Karlsson was never the problem. He might be asked to play too many minutes but his style is not what is the problem. You can say he's about possession but there are more than one way to get there. I don't at all believe that his style of playing will mesh with our guys. Unless he's done an overhaul of his coaching style while away from the league.

Karlsson style is a bit of a problem. If he doesn't tune it up a bit, he won't win a cup being the top player and captain. You can't play like that all the time because then all the players try to emulate you. He needs to reign it in a bit. He's not a bad defender but he needs to be better for us to become a cup winner.

Boucher won't stifle his offense
Players need to understand that they can't be karlsson. It's idiotic for anyone to try and play his style . That's why he needs a solid D partner. It's like having a D man and a forward on the ice. The thing is he has the speed to make it back to his own zone and defend. We've seen him make blunders on that but he's being played way too many minutes and it's costing him.
I think he's fine but needs to manage his time better. If anything I see forwards need to commit to back checking more. But I'm really not sure about Boucher. He had a good team in Tbay. Different than now and maybe the D wasn't as good but still. I'm not sure he'll work out here.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He did not have a good team. It was pretty crappy. He has much more talent here

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Guy Boucher is a good coach and apparently was going to be hired by the leafs if babcock didn't got that way.  My only concern....this hire reminds me alot of how craig hartsburg was hired.  All signs pointed to DeBoer being the next coach and then he suddenly agreed to a deal with Florida.  Shortly after we hear sens have hired Hartsburg.  And I heard the same rhetoric then, 'he's the man for the job, he demands accountability, etc.' and basically what we're hearing again about how boucher was the #1 choice, which is BS.  

I'm curious if Boucher has changed his style, I know he did well his first season with Tampa but it was downhill from there.  He seems like he's still quite fiery from the swiss league clips I've seen recently so who knows how he is with the players.  I question if he was the best option available but I have to believe it.  

Just really hope this wasn't another reactionary deal to losing Boudreau.  Whole week we heard how short list would be submitted end of this week and second round of interviews will be next week with eugene and all that, and then out of no where they announce boucher is the guy.  Sigh, I just wished Melnyk kept his mouth shut.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm still divided about what we have here. The D is a work in progress and always an injury away from a disaster. Nothing good to look at on the third pairing. The top 6 is getting there but a really big question marks on the left side. the 3rd line is ok but it's likely going to drop off since there is no possible way zach smoth comes close to reproducing his success and we are going to need a replacement for Chiasson that can score in the right
Hoffman is likely getting dealt and I really doubt we will get something back that can help us in the same respect.
So no I'm not sure we have a better team to be honest.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The right side is more of a question. After ryan and stone there's literally nothing. Chiasson can suck a Richard

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Guy Boucher is a good coach and apparently was going to be hired by the leafs if babcock didn't got that way.  My only concern....this hire reminds me alot of how craig hartsburg was hired.  All signs pointed to DeBoer being the next coach and then he suddenly agreed to a deal with Florida.  Shortly after we hear sens have hired Hartsburg.  And I heard the same rhetoric then, 'he's the man for the job, he demands accountability, etc.' and basically what we're hearing again about how boucher was the #1 choice, which is BS.  

I'm curious if Boucher has changed his style, I know he did well his first season with Tampa but it was downhill from there.  He seems like he's still quite fiery from the swiss league clips I've seen recently so who knows how he is with the players.  I question if he was the best option available but I have to believe it.  

Just really hope this wasn't another reactionary deal to losing Boudreau.  Whole week we heard how short list would be submitted end of this week and second round of interviews will be next week with eugene and all that, and then out of no where they announce boucher is the guy.  Sigh, I just wished Melnyk kept his mouth shut.
Yeah, I wished he kept it shut as well. Ita hard to tell if Boudreau used us as a leverage to get a longer contract with the wild or if we really could have swayed to sign here with a fourth year. It kind of looks like he used us since he didn't circle back around. Maybe we'll find out more.
It was too good to be true. Playoff success is one thing but I really look how good he did to he special teams as a measure of how much he might of helped us get better.

We might actually do well with Boucher in the first year. Players tend to do well at first with a new coach but it really is how long will they listen. I'm not even sure if he's got the right mentality for the team we have. I like coaches that seem to mesh well with the players.
And as i've stated im worried about how he will approach karlsson.

Maybe I'm too worried but I'm already worrying about if he walks away after this contract. I think a guy like Boudreau would of worked well with karlsson.
If he makes an enemy out of karlsson that will be it.

I think Kevin Dineen sounded like a better option.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:The right side is more of a question.  After ryan and stone there's literally nothing.  Chiasson can suck a Richard
Well with Hoffman gone and MacArthur a big question mark who do we have? Puemple?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And I doubt Hoffman gets dealt after they hire the coach that he had such success with.

He played a defensive style in Tampa when they had horrid defense and needed to blanket opponents. He was an offensive minded coach in his earlier career from reading people's thoughts on him

He's more intriguing that I originally thought for sure. Especially if Crawford joins as assistant.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:The right side is more of a question.  After ryan and stone there's literally nothing.  Chiasson can suck a Richard
Well with Hoffman gone and MacArthur a big question mark who do we have? Puemple?

We need another big time top 6, but Hoffman is likely staying now.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

We need another big time top 6, but Hoffman is likely staying now.
I actually hope so because I don't believe we would be able to get another scoring LW in a deal.
I think he ship has sailed in possibly bringing drouin. I doubt they trade him now and if they do the cost will be a lot higher than we are prepared to pay.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy cow, boucher absolutely wiped the floor with boudreau 's caps in 2011. Swept them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:Boucher.... Facepalm Puking2

We dont have The type Of team to buy into The type Of game he coachs. This is The stupidest hire. You have to hire a couch that Goes with The team you have. How The Diddle is that going to play with karlsson? He's not gonna play The trap. Bet you he came in at a really low salary and 2 year deal.

Diddle me.

Your comments are right up there with calling Karlsson a "garbage pick" before seeing him take one shift with the team. Well done! Clapping

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Everyone's got good things to say about Boucher. Things ended weird for him in Tampa. Hard to say what the future holds here, but we certainly got a coach that'll be hammering away on details...apparently. Honestly, it's always nice to have a coach that's passionate about the game. I look forward to the odd freakout.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Crawford may follow suit....

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Read this article: http://strib.mn/1q7JIWz

We didn't have a chance

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sounds like we really wasted our time.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Read this article: http://strib.mn/1q7JIWz

We didn't have a chance

Actually, it's quite clear that we had a chance, but Minny drastically outbid us. Again, I'm fine without Boudreau, but he was Dorion's #1 choice but couldn't commit financially.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum