GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about BluRay player and old TV

+3
Hoags
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 am

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

Amazon has Roku LT on for $37. RCA jacks are there as well as built in wifi.

17Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I see DVI!!!! HA HA!

Easy now. I do have 2 other TVs that aren't a decade old you know. I just don't see the point in trashing a perfectly good 53' HDTV just because it's old. I have a 50' plasma on the main floor and a 27' LED Smart TV in the bedroom.  Dammit! 

18Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:I see DVI!!!! HA HA!

Easy now. I do have 2 other TVs that aren't a decade old you know. I just don't see the point in trashing a perfectly good 53' HDTV just because it's old. I have a 50' plasma on the main floor and a 27' LED Smart TV in the bedroom.  Dammit! 
Heh. Just buggin'. You got component inputs there. Hopefully you can use those.

19Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:52 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

You might be able to get an HDMI to DVI converter and use that if the TV has HDCP support. In case they ever downscale Blu-Ray content to 540p for those not using a non-HDCP connection.

20Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:58 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n - what is the exact model # of that TV? We can check to see if it supports HDCP.

21Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd have to check when I get home. At work right now.

- Unknown Author

22Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Model # is PT-53WX52CF

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, it's BluRay, not BlueRay. #SeaOfBlu

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:You might be able to get an HDMI to DVI converter and use that if the TV has HDCP support.  In case they ever downscale Blu-Ray content to 540p for those not using a non-HDCP connection.
Divi doesn't carry audio signal. He would need a BluRay with component rgb + RCA audio.

I can't remember the last time I used my BluRay player. Physical media will be dead in the next 5 years. Get a real streaming box like Roku or AppleTv.

(Unless you have a shizz load of discs of course)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:By the way, it's BluRay, not BlueRay.  #SeaOfBlu
Actually, it's Blu-ray.

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Or get a soundbar with HDMI in/out (passthrough), then hook up the HDMI to DVI adapter to the HDMI out on the soundbar.

On my (old) HD set top box from Rogers, when I used the DVI out (it had DVI, not HDMI) I was forced to use the PC out audio. What a nightmare -- had to use a stereo-to-mono adapter, it looked awful; but, hey, at least it had the sound to match.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Prager editing my posts? Hmmmm....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Prager editing my posts? Hmmmm....

Sorry, did I hit Edit instead of Quote? Damn, I lost a post Sad

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Or get a soundbar with HDMI in/out (passthrough), then hook up the HDMI to DVI adapter to the HDMI out on the soundbar.

On my (old) HD set top box from Rogers, when I used the DVI out (it had DVI, not HDMI) I was forced to use the PC out audio. What a nightmare -- had to use a stereo-to-mono adapter, it looked awful; but, hey, at least it had the sound to match.

You Ottawa lads are a fugal bunch, so I'm pretty sure that's outta the budget. He needs a $49 Magnavox BluRay where $40 of that money goes to Sony for the BluRay license.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No wonder I couldn't get my discs to work properly in them. That's the LAST time I trust some dude at a garage sale.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

No wonder I couldn't get my discs to work properly in them.  That's the LAST time I trust some dude at a garage sale.
You should upgrade to HD DVD.

Sarcasm 

32Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Can probably get one cheap too!!!
Brilliant!

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Can probably get one cheap too!!!
Brilliant!

Not sure about that. Items of historical value may be protected by state laws, you may not even be able to export HD-DVD players or media out of certain jurisdictions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum