GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Sens @ Lightning, 7:30 PM, SNET-SENS - RYSE IS BACK

+9
spader
sandysensfan
Flo The Action
Ev
shabbs
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
NEELY
SensHulk
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm ready for some moves with this team. something's got to be done.

as far as the coaching staff there is a giant question mark on what the hell is going on there. how much as the jack adams affected PMac and how much of all this is on the players. it's a complete 180 from last year.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Here's a legitimate question: How many games do you think in the past 3 seasons have the Sens looked ready to play in the 1st?
I would say about 10%

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That'll about do it for the season. No chemistry, zero finish = boring.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

this is kind of a farce. trade michalek at least get some of the kids fighting for a job again.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The amount of giveaways this team makes is unlike anything I've seen. I'm not sure what the hell is happening right now.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:The amount of giveaways this team makes is unlike anything I've seen.  I'm not sure what the hell is happening right now.
Team looked like Alfie last year.
Team looks like Spezza this year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:The amount of giveaways this team makes is unlike anything I've seen.  I'm not sure what the hell is happening right now.
Team looked like Alfie last year.
Team looks like Spezza this year.
that's a big problem. maybe the team isn't saying anything about their new captain but I imagine they can clearly see he's not got it together. there's no drive behind them. they're just flat. this team needs good leadership to take a hold of it.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Team needs about a Pageau and a Lazar about 2 more years older.
I'm telling you, when we'll have
Turris
Zibanejad
Lazar
Pageau
with a Karlsson/Cowen playing in front of Lehner, this team's identity is gonna have some killer instinct.

that's about 3 years away though, in the meantime, I'll just watch this lifeless team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They will be 500 by the end of the Sabres games

They're not a great team but they are not terrible either. Just average.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Listening and reading Spezza`s post game comments he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Frustrating game last night. I don't now what it was, but every time I tuned in it seemed like they were just throwing the puck around with no clear direction or plan. Bad choices all over the board that led to turn overs or broken plays. Frig man.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

No structure, players are obviously not listening to MacLean and the coaching staff, guys are doing what they want out there, etc, etc, etc. Like buddy said, this team is 100% a reflection of Spezza and the way he plays a game, once in a while you will have a game where you wonder if they are the best team in the NHL, then 3 games where it just isn't good enough, then one where you question whether they can beat an AHL team or not.

Time to start moving out the dead weight IMO, it's 30 games now and things haven't come close to turning around or any signs of optimism.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This was the year we were supposed to take the "next step" to being "true contenders". Remember the off-season? We were so full of optimism? We had a better team on paper than the year before, and if we could stay moderately healthy, we'd be challenging for the top of the Atlantic division!

I guess it's some combination of missing Alfie, sub-par coaching, Spezza/Michalek regressing (and Cowen coming out flat), and maybe expectations that were too high to begin with?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ev wrote:They will be 500 by the end of the Sabres games

They're not a great team but they are not terrible either. Just average.
Mediocre... and inconsistent...

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:This was the year we were supposed to take the "next step" to being "true contenders".  Remember the off-season?  We were so full of optimism?  We had a better team on paper than the year before, and if we could stay moderately healthy, we'd be challenging for the top of the Atlantic division!

I guess it's some combination of missing Alfie, sub-par coaching, Spezza/Michalek regressing (and Cowen coming out flat), and maybe expectations that were too high to begin with?
All the above.  Alfie leaving is something the Sens were going to have to deal with no matter what, be it this year or next but it's clearly had an effect on the team and there is absolutely no guidance what so ever.  Only guy that leads by example in Ottawa is Neil.  

Sub-par coaching... meh.  MacLean has made mistakes this year for sure but at the end of the day what choice does he have other than to play the players he is given?  The last thing in Ottawa that you can put a ton of blame on his the coaching and if for some reason MacLean up and leaves before Spezza does I actually might be done with supporting the Sens for a long time.  I would never cheer for another NHL team or jump on a bandwagon but you can sure as hell bet I will be jumping off the Sens until Spezza is gone.  That said I don't think MacLean is going anywhere anytime soon, they need stability more than ever.

Spezza regressing is an understatement.  He's done as a top line player in the NHL and he's dragging the team down in a big way and more and more people see it as the year goes on.  This was pretty obvious about 10 games in but w/e, people choose to be optimistic and you can't fault them for that but at this point all optimism should be out the door with the Sens and Spezza because it's only going to get worse from here.  He's slow, uninspired, lazy, and just does what he wants... his time in Ottawa has run out and this goes all the way back to his junior days, he has never been a guy that has elevated his game to help those around him and his team, never.  Guy is a born loser and this is painfully clear.  

Michalek... why even bother? lol.  Everyone knows he isn't coming back next year, everyone knows he will be traded at the deadline for either a 2nd, 3rd rounder or a prospect the Sens really like to fill a particular role down the line.  No team is going to pay his salary right now... just gotta wait it out.

Cowen... gotta go through the pains with him at this point.  Trading him would be stupid unless it's an absolute steal of a deal where the Sens are getting a player that is clearly better and can contribute for the next 5-10 years.  That said it's not gonna happen and no reason it should.

Expectations were exactly where they should be IMO.  The expectations were to start pushing the better teams in the NHL on a regular basis, beat up on the lesser teams, and play hard every night.  It didn't happen and won't this year.

All in all, the Sens will be playing out the string for 53 games now... teams are just better, more enthused, and care a lot more than this Sens team now.  I know they all "care" but it's to the point where they have no confidence, they are just waiting for something bad to happen and they need something to shake up the team.  The foundation built in Ottawa is fantastic, can't ask for anything more than Lehner/Karlsson/Turris/Ryan to build a team around but the thing is the team isn't built around that.  To this very second everything the team does is for Spezza, every decision made and every game played is about Spezza, that has to change.  IT DOES NOT WORK NOR HAS IT EVER.

EDIT: And just the cherry on top is the Bishop for Conacher trade. I don't blame anyone for this as it is what it is and they got the most for the 3rd string goaltender in Ottawa but man, looks so bad right now. Good for Bishop though. Conacher... just not an NHL hockey player.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah that bishop trade looks absolutely brutal right now. Yzerman schooled Murray.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah that bishop trade looks absolutely brutal right now.  Yzerman schooled Murray.  
Meh, again Murray got the best deal he could for what at the time was Ottawa's 3rd string goalie. Yzerman took a couple shots and missed with goaltenders so saying he schooled Murray is BS. Ottawa gave up nothing in the core and the move isn't/didn't work out for them. All you can do is tip your hat to Bishop, a guy who deserved a real shot.

It just adds to the frustration in Ottawa, that's all. Turris, Ryan, and Anderson trades were all fantastic... Ryan trade will look really bad though if the Sens are drafting within the top 5 to a lot of people. It's just the optics of it despite the fact Ryan is better than any player that will be drafted this year, 1st overall and every player after.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Listening and reading Spezza`s post game comments he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.
That's exactly what I was thinking as well.
He just can't handle this captaincy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum