GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comparing the current edition to the 2007 Senators

+4
SensHulk
Hoags
NEELY
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:I wouldn't be counting on Michalek too much more after this season.  Truth is that guy may have a career year on a line with Ryan and Spezza and I wouldn't give him a damn thing over what he is making now on a shorter term deal (3 years).  Injuries and inconsistency are something that go hand in hand with Michalek and that money is going to be better spent elsehwere.
If Michalek is not going for whatever reason we can promote Greening, Zibanejad, Conacher; maybe bring up Hoffman or Stone.  How far down the depth chart do we have to go to get to the likes of Comrie (post-hip surgery), Saprykin, MacAmmond, Schaeffer?  

Good god, how did we get out of the East??!
That's the choice they have at this point, Greening or Michalek and Greening is the easy answer for a lot of reasons. Will make less, will play basically every game, has shown he will up his game in the playoffs... Michalek, guy scores in bunches and can't stay healthy and in the playoffs he's always been a non-factor. He could very well be a guy that is traded at some point as well if his season goes well but they may just rid him and his contract out as well.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:I wouldn't be counting on Michalek too much more after this season.  Truth is that guy may have a career year on a line with Ryan and Spezza and I wouldn't give him a damn thing over what he is making now on a shorter term deal (3 years).  Injuries and inconsistency are something that go hand in hand with Michalek and that money is going to be better spent elsehwere.
If Michalek is not going for whatever reason we can promote Greening, Zibanejad, Conacher; maybe bring up Hoffman or Stone.  How far down the depth chart do we have to go to get to the likes of Comrie (post-hip surgery), Saprykin, MacAmmond, Schaeffer?  

Comrie was amazing though.  He fit in here like a glove on line 2 and added a lot to this lineup.  Mez was good IIRC as well.
What did Comrie do in the playoffs (2G); what did Schaeffer do (1G)? McAmmond, at least put up some points (5/3/8).

NEELY

Mod
Mod

McAmmond was a really solid player for the Sens throughout.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Comrie was everywhere for the Sens that year. All over the ice, a constant threat. He only had a couple of goals, but he really made the opposition change their defensive strategies up and down the Sens lineup.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:McAmmond was a really solid player for the Sens throughout.  
McAmmond was good, but he was hardly a game changer. He also looked good because the top line looked so bad. If some of the bigger players (Spezza, Fisher, Heatley) played like McAmmond (or, conversely, if McAmmond had a little size) would have made for a longer series, for sure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Comrie was everywhere for the Sens that year.  All over the ice, a constant threat.  He only had a couple of goals, but he really made the opposition change their defensive strategies up and down the Sens lineup.
Scoring chances mean Richard when you lose a series 4-1. A goal fro *anyone* in G2 would have made a huge difference to the series.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:McAmmond was a really solid player for the Sens throughout.  
McAmmond was good, but he was hardly a game changer.  He also looked good because the top line looked so bad.  If some of the bigger players (Spezza, Fisher, Heatley) played like McAmmond (or, conversely, if McAmmond had a little size) would have made for a longer series, for sure.
There were a couple of games where he was a game changer honestly. Once he was knocked out the Sens seemed to lose their way against the Ducks as well. I think he's a really underrated piece of that team that no one talks about.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Comrie was everywhere for the Sens that year.  All over the ice, a constant threat.  He only had a couple of goals, but he really made the opposition change their defensive strategies up and down the Sens lineup.
Scoring chances mean Richard when you lose a series 4-1.  A goal fro *anyone* in G2 would have made a huge difference to the series.
You realize what happened in the Finals, right? We got beaten by a much, much, much better team. They were bigger, they were faster, they (apart from the CASH line) had more talent.

People don't give the 07 Ducks enough credit. Kunitz, a young Getzlaf, a young Perry, MacDonald (amazing player), Selanne, Fat Penner, Pahlsson, Rob Neidermayer, Moen. Then the other Neidermayer on D, Pronger, Beachemin - and if that's not enough - a 'in his prime' Giguere.

We were dead before the puck dropped, we just chose to try to ignore that at the time.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
I think Puempel is the heir apparent on that top LW roster spot, obviously things may turn out differently.

We made it that far by riding one of the most dominant lines in recent history, until we ran into a team that could shut them down.  Ducks had quite a shutdown line with Pahlsson.  They also got away with quite a lot of obstruction (Pronger).

SpezDispenser wrote:
We were dead before the puck dropped, we just chose to try to ignore that at the time.
We beat a rookie Penguins team that year but I thought we were dead against NJ and Buffalo was supposed to beat us as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:
I think Puempel is the heir apparent on that top LW roster spot, obviously things may turn out differently.

We made it that far by riding one of the most dominant lines in recent history, until we ran into a team that could shut them down.  Ducks had quite a shutdown line with Pahlsson.  They also got away with quite a lot of obstruction (Pronger).

SpezDispenser wrote:
We beat a rookie Penguins team that year but I thought we were dead against NJ and Buffalo was supposed to beat us as well.
Pfft, Buffalo. We steamrolled those little dudes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
Scoring chances mean Richard when you lose a series 4-1.  A goal fro *anyone* in G2 would have made a huge difference to the series.
You realize what happened in the Finals, right?  We got beaten by a much, much, much better team.  They were bigger, they were faster, they (apart from the CASH line) had more talent.

People don't give the 07 Ducks enough credit.  Kunitz, a young Getzlaf, a young Perry, MacDonald (amazing player), Selanne, Fat Penner, Pahlsson, Rob Neidermayer, Moen.   Then the other Neidermayer on D, Pronger, Beachemin - and if that's not enough - a 'in his prime' Giguere.

Game 1 the Sens had a lead. Emery gives up a rebound that drops right down in front of him. Rather than plopping his glove on it to take a face off he tries playing it. "Rookie" mistake. Ducks end up winning by 1.

Second game Emery stood on his head and nobody could score. They lose 1-0. They could have won either game but were down 0-2 before the Centurion had a chance to embarrass us all.

If either of the first two games go the other way (which both of them could have) it's a different series.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
NEELY wrote:2007 team wasn't the best team the Sens ever had
I'll say.  2002-2003 team was the best.  2nd best was 2005-2006 team.
Agreed. '03 was the best we've had. To date, that is. This one may well be better if a few people (Turris, Z, Weir, Conacher, Greening, JPG) can keep building, this team could actually be lights out. Probably a year away from elite, but this team is on the doorstep.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

2007 was the cash line and a bunch of fill ins.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:
NEELY wrote:2007 team wasn't the best team the Sens ever had
I'll say.  2002-2003 team was the best.  2nd best was 2005-2006 team.
Agreed. '03 was the best we've had. To date, that is. This one may well be better if a few people (Turris, Z, Weir, Conacher, Greening, JPG) can keep building, this team could actually be lights out. Probably a year away from elite, but this team is on the doorstep.
How can you all say we had the best team in 2002-03? Regular season success is nice, but the first 82 games matter only to where you start for the next 20+. The Sens had Todd White, Radek Bonk and Mike Fisher down the middle (Spezza played 33 games in the regular season and just 3 in the post-season). Sorry, but that's just laughable. They had great goaltending from Lalime but they wasted it.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I'll take this next season's team because of Karlsson and Anderson.
Plus we actually have several young players with potential.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

The best team we had never hit the ice due to the 04-05 lockout.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/scanlan-when-they-were-almost-kings

So, to review Ottawa’s (locked out) strength down the middle: Spezza, Fisher, Smolinski, White, Vermette (usually used on the wing). Not bad.

Other forwards included rugged winger Chris Neil, grinding and underestimated Vaclav Varada, and the sometimes effective Peter Schaefer, a 20-goal scorer in ‘05-06.

On defence, the Senators were arguably at their all-time best: Future Norris Trophy winner Zdeno Chara, 26-year-old Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov, Wade Redden, 27 (before his game went south), Brian Pothier and veteran Greg DeVries.

In goal: Dominik Hasek, signed as a free agent on July 6, 2004, backed up by the promising Ray Emery.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum