GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comparing the current edition to the 2007 Senators

+4
SensHulk
Hoags
NEELY
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

As we all know, the 2007 Senators rolled through the East like a hot knife through butter, winning 12 of 15 games against the likes of the Crosby-led Penguins, 2nd place Devils and Presiden't Choice (heh) Sabres. Who could forget that game 5 OT with Alfie splitting the D and firing the winner past Miller. That top line was unstoppable (in the East, at least), leading the post-season scoring race with 22 points apiece. Nobody had more goals (14) than Alfie, and Spezza and Heatley tied for the lead in assists. But beyond that top line the Sens had precious little -- Fisher and Redden were the only other Ottawa players in the top-30, with 10 points each; that's less than half the points of the top-liners.

So, how does this year's edition of the Senators compare to that Stanley Cup Final team?

2007-07:
Emery (Gerber)
Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Fisher, Vermette, Schaeffer, Kelly, Comrie, Neil, McAmmond, Saprykin, Eaves
(I'm not even going to try to remember the lines -- beyond the top line and Fisher centering line 2, that was not a very memorable lineup)
Redden, Volchenkov, Phillips, Meszaros, Corvo, Preissing, Schubert

2013-14:
Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Zibanejad
Pageau, Conacher, Condra, Greening, Smith, Neil
Karlsson, Methot, Cowen, Wiercioch, Phillips, Gryba, Corvo

Discuss.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

2007 team wasn't the best team the Sens ever had, I wouldn't even put it top 3 but they happened to have all the luck in the world that year as opposed to previously better teams where they consistently had bad to awful luck along with a coach like Martin who didn't know how to push the right buttons or win games in the playoffs.

That said I would take this current Sens team over the 2007 team simply because there is more talent on the current Sens team with a better mix of players and depth. The East is just a lot stronger now and in 5 years when the power has shifted away from the Pens and Bruins, Ottawa will be the class of the East.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They're not as top-line heavy as the '07 team.  Who knows, maybe Ryan, Spezza and Michalek can reach a similar level to the Pizza Line ?

Defense is close, hard to say. Redden was declining at that point but Philips and Volchenkov were great back then and Meszaros was good for us as well. We had no one like Karlsson back then though.

Goaltending is arguably much better, if only because we've got a solid backup in Lehner. Emery was a one year wonder.

Then again the '07 team wasn't the best team we had and they made it to the finals when arguably better teams didn't and that was on coaching IMO (Jacques Martin FAIL).

So this team should be up there as one of the best teams(on paper) that we had.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:2007 team wasn't the best team the Sens ever had
I'll say. 2002-2003 team was the best. 2nd best was 2005-2006 team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:They're not as top-line heavy as the '07 team.  Who knows, maybe Ryan, Spezza and Michalek can reach a similar level to the Pizza Line ?

Defense is close, hard to say.  Redden was declining at that point but Philips and Volchenkov were great back then and Meszaros was good for us as well.  We had no one like Karlsson back then though.

Goaltending is arguably much better, if only because we've got a solid backup in Lehner.  Emery was a one year wonder.

Then again the '07 team wasn't the best team we had and they made it to the finals when arguably better teams didn't and that was on coaching IMO (Jacques Martin FAIL).

So this team should be up there as one of the best teams(on paper) that we had.
I don't think being 1-2-3 in the playoff scoring race is going to happen again for a while -- on any team. 14 playoff goals (Alfie) is pretty rare, too. Crosby and Malkin had 15 and 14 (respetively) in 2009, but that was in 4 more games. Pisani also had 14 the year the Oil went deep but, again, in 24 games. NHL.com only has stats going back to '97 and 14 in 20 games had not been done before or since.

So, bottom line, I don't think we have as dominant a line as that was. However we have a much better second line, and when you have the likes of Green, Pageau, Conacher in your bottom 6 you know you've got depth and your top-six won't be exhausted.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:
NEELY wrote:2007 team wasn't the best team the Sens ever had
I'll say.  2002-2003 team was the best.  2nd best was 2005-2006 team.
I guess it all depends on how you measure success. 2006-07 was the most successful team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also the team is a sum of its parts. You can't say they had the best team when they either couldn't score in the playoffs or couldn't keep the puck out of their goal.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The key to both lineups? Spezza and Scorevo. History is about to repeat itself but with a better supporting cast, the Cup is a good as ours.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I wouldn't be counting on Michalek too much more after this season. Truth is that guy may have a career year on a line with Ryan and Spezza and I wouldn't give him a damn thing over what he is making now on a shorter term deal (3 years). Injuries and inconsistency are something that go hand in hand with Michalek and that money is going to be better spent elsehwere.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I wouldn't be counting on Michalek too much more after this season.  Truth is that guy may have a career year on a line with Ryan and Spezza and I wouldn't give him a damn thing over what he is making now on a shorter term deal (3 years).  Injuries and inconsistency are something that go hand in hand with Michalek and that money is going to be better spent elsehwere.
If Michalek is not going for whatever reason we can promote Greening, Zibanejad, Conacher; maybe bring up Hoffman or Stone. How far down the depth chart do we have to go to get to the likes of Comrie (post-hip surgery), Saprykin, MacAmmond, Schaeffer?

Good god, how did we get out of the East??!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:I wouldn't be counting on Michalek too much more after this season.  Truth is that guy may have a career year on a line with Ryan and Spezza and I wouldn't give him a damn thing over what he is making now on a shorter term deal (3 years).  Injuries and inconsistency are something that go hand in hand with Michalek and that money is going to be better spent elsehwere.
If Michalek is not going for whatever reason we can promote Greening, Zibanejad, Conacher; maybe bring up Hoffman or Stone.  How far down the depth chart do we have to go to get to the likes of Comrie (post-hip surgery), Saprykin, MacAmmond, Schaeffer?  

MacAmmond picked up his game in the playoffs noticeably and Schaeffer is probably one of the most underrated players from that edition of the Senatesnores. Some of the best hands all-time in Ottawa but pretty much Cussed in the head.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
If Michalek is not going for whatever reason we can promote Greening, Zibanejad, Conacher; maybe bring up Hoffman or Stone.  How far down the depth chart do we have to go to get to the likes of Comrie (post-hip surgery), Saprykin, MacAmmond, Schaeffer?  

Comrie was amazing though. He fit in here like a glove on line 2 and added a lot to this lineup. Mez was good IIRC as well.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:

That's the choice they have at this point, Greening or Michalek and Greening is the easy answer for a lot of reasons. Will make less, will play basically every game, has shown he will up his game in the playoffs... Michalek, guy scores in bunches and can't stay healthy and in the playoffs he's always been a non-factor. He could very well be a guy that is traded at some point as well if his season goes well but they may just rid him and his contract out as well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

Comrie was amazing though.  He fit in here like a glove on line 2 and added a lot to this lineup.  Mez was good IIRC as well.
What did Comrie do in the playoffs (2G); what did Schaeffer do (1G)? McAmmond, at least put up some points (5/3/8).

NEELY

Mod
Mod

McAmmond was a really solid player for the Sens throughout.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum