GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+19
Hobiesens
SensHulk
Hockeyhero22000
rooneypoo
spader
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
NEELY
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Ev
LeCaptain
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34 ... 66  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 66]

31Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:$2 million

Fire Murray!
That has to be a mistake. If not FIRE MURRAY!!!

32Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Wow, putting a lot of faith into Wiercioch right there.  PW better really work this off season because now the real pressure to perform is on.  That said, this could end up being a steal if he does get first unit PP time and does well with it.

As I said before, he could put up #s close to Gonchar if he gets the same PP minutes. At the very least he will put up more points in the next 2 seasons than Gonchar did in his first 2 seasons for Ottawa. Bargain.

33Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:

Fire Murray!
That has to be a mistake.  If not FIRE MURRAY!!!

Just wait till you see what he's handing out to Cowen.

So much for that $50M internal budget -- where did that come from, anyway? Just speculation or did one of Murray or Melnyk actually say that figure?

They are at $53,653,833 right now with 14 forwards and Cowen to sign. Assuming JOB is dealt for the proverbial bag of pucks (i.e. no salary coming back), and giving Cowen $3M, that puts them at just over $56M.

34Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Wow, putting a lot of faith into Wiercioch right there.  PW better really work this off season because now the real pressure to perform is on.  That said, this could end up being a steal if he does get first unit PP time and does well with it.

As I said before, he could put up #s close to Gonchar if he gets the same PP minutes. At the very least he will put up more points in the next 2 seasons than Gonchar did in his first 2 seasons for Ottawa. Bargain.

He's going to be that LH shot on the first unit from the point for sure. You don't give out a contract like that without having a solid plan in place. I think a guy like Wiercioch will also benefit from the normal schedule because there was no way he could keep weight on last year, this year it will be normal and he will be even better IMO.

35Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:44 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

Fire Murray!
That has to be a mistake.  If not FIRE MURRAY!!!

Just wait till you see what he's handing out to Cowen.

So much for that $50M internal budget -- where did that come from, anyway?  Just speculation or did one of Murray or Melnyk actually say that figure?  

They are at $53,653,833 right now with 14 forwards and Cowen to sign.  Assuming JOB is dealt for the proverbial bag of pucks (i.e. no salary coming back), and giving Cowen $3M, that puts them at just over $56M.

Cowen's not done yet because he's being dealt for young Bogo. Details to follow.

The only person I've seen mention that number is Wayne Scanlan, The Hockey Scanner, who's about as plugged-in as a wristwatch.

36Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The only thing that gnaws at me a little is that I find Wiercioch to be similar to Rundblad in that he can move the puck and can register points, but he's very weak in the defensive zone.

Wiercioch appeared to evolved more than Rundblad did, but he's still got a long way to go in the defensive zone.

Plus...may I ask where he plays? On the right side? Yikes, a young guy who has a rough time defensively and you're gonna take one of his clearing options away by playing him on his off-side? Unless Phillips plays the right I guess.

37Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Some dude on HF says Greening is rumoured be to signing a 5 year extension.

http://www.senschirp.ca/blog/item/1074-schedule-released-greening-extension

I'll have a full breakdown on the schedule early next week but in the meantime some other news to pass along as word has it the Sens are working on an extension for forward Colin Greening. The deal is believed to be in the neighborhood of 5 years and will see the forward earn between 2 and 3 mil a season. wrote:

38Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

I like Wiercioch but he still has to be better defensively...

He was the 2nd highest in rookie D scoring behind on Justin Schultz.

McLean will probably rely on him to take some of Gonchar's minutes...

A little high by about 500K.... but not a terrible overpayment.

Cowen should get a little more than that -- how much? Who knows.

Question is... do you put Wiercioch on the 2nd pairing with Cowen?

39Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

sandysensfan wrote:
Question is... do you put Wiercioch on the 2nd pairing with Cowen?

Can't answer that right now, need training camp to assess Wiercioch's weight and his ability to win puck battles in the corners - and generally be stronger on his skates.

Also, playing him with Cowen means he needs to play the right side - or one of them does - and I dislike the thought of that quite a bit.

40Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Why do people get so caught up with 2nd line, 3rd line, 2nd pairing, 3rd pairing. Wiercioch will probably have his partner in Phillips or Corvo on a lot of nights, maybe some nights he has to take a seat in the press box. It's mix and match and it happens all year long. At the end of the year he will probably be top 4 in mins played along with Karlsson, Methot, and Cowen.

41Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Why do people get so caught up with 2nd line, 3rd line, 2nd pairing, 3rd pairing.  Wiercioch will probably have his partner in Phillips or Corvo on a lot of nights, maybe some nights he has to take a seat in the press box.  It's mix and match and it happens all year long.  At the end of the year he will probably be top 4 in mins played along with Karlsson, Methot, and Cowen.  

It means a lot.  Who players play with can mean a heck of lot when it comes to chemistry.  The Sens can't waste many points, so the chemistry needs to be there ASAP at the start of the year - and if Wiercioch is stuck playing the right side with Cowen, I think that'll hurt us.

What I think will happen is Wiercioch will play 3rd pairing minutes with Phillips - Phillips on the right side - and Wiercioch will play top line PP like he did at times last year.  Good for about 16 minutes a night (no PKing) - give or take.

EDIT: This means that Gryba pr Corvo plays with Cowen to which I'd rather have Gryba there than Corvo please.

42Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:48 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Why do people get so caught up with 2nd line, 3rd line, 2nd pairing, 3rd pairing.  Wiercioch will probably have his partner in Phillips or Corvo on a lot of nights, maybe some nights he has to take a seat in the press box.  It's mix and match and it happens all year long.  At the end of the year he will probably be top 4 in mins played along with Karlsson, Methot, and Cowen.  

It means a lot.  Who players play with can mean a heck of lot when it comes to chemistry.  The Sens can't waste many points, so the chemistry needs to be there ASAP at the start of the year - and if Wiercioch is stuck playing the right side with Cowen, I think that'll hurt us.

What I think will happen is Wiercioch will play 3rd pairing minutes with Phillips - Phillips on the right side - and Wiercioch will play top line PP like he did at times last year.  Good for about 16 minutes a night (no PKing) - give or take.

EDIT: This means that Gryba pr Corvo plays with Cowen to which I'd rather have Gryba there than Corvo please.

No it doesn't. Guys come in and out of the lineup all year long and the only pairing that won't be touched is Karlsson/Methot.

43Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:52 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Corvo

I'm more than okay with that.

44Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Corvo

Yeah, that's probably good enough.

45Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cowen-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Corvo

we'll see. Gryba and wiercioch could both suffer sophomore slumps. probably not both though.

with that kind of money invested you think Murray has faith the wier can play enough minutes to be considered top 4.

46Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Cowen-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Corvo

we'll see. Gryba and wiercioch could both suffer sophomore slumps. probably not both though.

with that kind of money invested you think Murray has faith the wier can play enough minutes to be considered top 4.

I hope for that in a big way. That would mean that Wiercioch is bigger, stronger and has a chance to be a really, really big part of this team. Again, I found his defensive game quite lacking, but if he can start cleaning it up, he'll be a great piece for this team.

47Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I imagine Ceci replaces Corvo by trade deadline depending on his progression in Bingo. Trading Corvo for a 3rd at the deadline would be another nice asset going into next year's draft.

Also can't forget this D will be playing in front of (arguably) the best goalie in the NHL. Our D will be fine, easily improved upon, but fine.

48Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I imagine Ceci replaces Corvo by trade deadline depending on his progression in Bingo. Trading Corvo for a 3rd at the deadline would be another nice asset going into next year's draft.

Also can't forget this D will be playing in front of (arguably) the best goalie in the NHL. Our D will be fine, easily improved upon, but fine.
not sure Corvo would net us a 3rd...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34 ... 66  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum