GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

WTF Ottawa

+3
Riprock
NEELY
22_4_ever
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm gonna have nightmares about Bucky tonight... I just know it...

17WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

Are you from Ottawa...

Are you talking about Bucky Buchanan?

18WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

22_4_ever wrote:Are you from Ottawa...

I grew up in Ottawa and did the Power Skating camps with Bucky when I played hockey as a kid. Left Ottawa in 1999 and moved to Toronto (long story, save it for beers with the GMHockey crew one day).

Don't remember his last name.

19WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Bucky Buchannan was one of my teachers in school and I attended his power skating school as well. I doubt seriously that there are two guys in Ottawa running power skating in Ottawa named Bucky.

Now, there are a couple of very good ones, although they all charge an arm and a leg.

Perfect Skating if very good, so is Edgeworks and Turcotte's.

All are very good, but no where near as hard core as they were when we were young.

20WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The good old days when kids weren't coddled and shielded and had peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch at school...

21WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:Bucky Buchannan was one of my teachers in school and I attended his power skating school as well. I doubt seriously that there are two guys in Ottawa running power skating in Ottawa named Bucky.

Now, there are a couple of very good ones, although they all charge an arm and a leg.

All are very good, but no where near as hard core as they were when we were young.

Bucky Buchannan was my high school law teacher. Quite the character.

22WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Oh yah!

Best camp I went to was Roger Neilson's which was in Port Hope originally and then moved to Lindsey... when it went to Lindsey part of the camp turned into an OHL camp for 13 and 14 year olds that were of higher caliber. Awesome camp and so many memories.

The power skating coach was a woman named Marian... she was hot and she drove us into the ice. Roger Neilson lived and died by her on the ice with the young kids.

The best part was when the NHL goalies jumped on the ice with us and in full gear. Tuggnut was the best, especially right after Ottawa's first ever playoff run. He had been there years before as a member of the Nords but when he was a Sen it was something else. My brother was a goaltender so he was the lucky one that got to work with him one on one.

Out of town camps are awesome in general, but money is an issue for some people (was for us too in hindsight).

23WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Also, I'll say this and I am not implying anything in the least. Having a kid away from parents and away from their very bias voices (negative or positive) is a good change for a kid. Going away the kids have each other to depend on, they learn to be part of a team/family because they are with each other none stop, and if a kid is a total a$$hole (not saying your kid is or isn't) he will be weeded out pretty quickly and will learn from it.

24WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 am

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

tim1_2 wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:Bucky Buchannan was one of my teachers in school and I attended his power skating school as well. I doubt seriously that there are two guys in Ottawa running power skating in Ottawa named Bucky.

A Bell Grad?

25WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 am

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

NEELY wrote:

Oh yah!

Best camp I went to was Roger Neilson's which was in Port Hope originally and then moved to Lindsey... when it went to Lindsey part of the camp turned into an OHL camp for 13 and 14 year olds that were of higher caliber. Awesome camp and so many memories.

The power skating coach was a woman named Marian... she was hot and she drove us into the ice. Roger Neilson lived and died by her on the ice with the young kids.

The best part was when the NHL goalies jumped on the ice with us and in full gear. Tuggnut was the best, especially right after Ottawa's first ever playoff run. He had been there years before as a member of the Nords but when he was a Sen it was something else. My brother was a goaltender so he was the lucky one that got to work with him one on one.

Out of town camps are awesome in general, but money is an issue for some people (was for us too in hindsight).

I'll tell you this much...my son has gone to a couple of the different power skating camps. There is one camp/group that he's attended a couple of times and they have got the most out of him. Their style of teaching matches his style of learning, but more than that one of their instructors is a former figure skater (I believe she was nationally ranked too) and he absolutely loves her and listens to her really well.

She took him from doing backward c-cuts to him now doing backward crossovers and skating backwards better than just about every other kid in his age at the A or AAA level.

I have so much respect for those that can teach kids, and get them to learn. Anyone can instruct, but few can teach especially at a young level.

26WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 am

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

NEELY wrote:Also, I'll say this and I am not implying anything in the least. Having a kid away from parents and away from their very bias voices (negative or positive) is a good change for a kid. Going away the kids have each other to depend on, they learn to be part of a team/family because they are with each other none stop, and if a kid is a total a$$hole (not saying your kid is or isn't) he will be weeded out pretty quickly and will learn from it.

Oh yeah I agree with you....the problem is at 8 it's too young to be away...in a couple of years for sure.

On his spring team the coaching staff asked that the parents drop the kids off 45 mins early and leave...no hanging around the locker room before or after games. At first it was tough, but soon I found it to be great for him. The locker room is a players place to bond with his team mates. As you said, I found out quite quickly (or the coaching staff did) that kids changed their personality quickly. Kids (even at 8) have a way of seeing right through all the bull$hit.

27WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

A Bell Grad?

Yes. You?

28WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SRB 4 EVER!!!!!

29WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

22_4_ever wrote:
NEELY wrote:Also, I'll say this and I am not implying anything in the least. Having a kid away from parents and away from their very bias voices (negative or positive) is a good change for a kid. Going away the kids have each other to depend on, they learn to be part of a team/family because they are with each other none stop, and if a kid is a total a$$hole (not saying your kid is or isn't) he will be weeded out pretty quickly and will learn from it.

Oh yeah I agree with you....the problem is at 8 it's too young to be away...in a couple of years for sure.

On his spring team the coaching staff asked that the parents drop the kids off 45 mins early and leave...no hanging around the locker room before or after games. At first it was tough, but soon I found it to be great for him. The locker room is a players place to bond with his team mates. As you said, I found out quite quickly (or the coaching staff did) that kids changed their personality quickly. Kids (even at 8) have a way of seeing right through all the bull$hit.

Disagree. My brother and I both went from the time we were 7-14. The kids there are young and the match lines up based on their size and skill and that usually goes hand in hand with their age.

Giving a kid a sense of independence is important IMO as well as learning to be part of something that is more like a family than a team. The amount I improved from the 2 weeks I spent at the camp when I was 8 was jaw dropping. I went from a kid that could barely skate at 7 to a kid that played the highest level possible at 8.

Kids will listen to people who are legit. They are way smarter than people give them credit for.

30WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:27 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Figure skaters are the strongest skaters on the planet and should be teaching power skating.

31WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:SRB 4 EVER!!!!!

Ha. I knew there was something wrong with you.

32WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:47 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Figure skaters are the strongest skaters on the planet and should be teaching power skating.

There's a woman who does clinics around the Rideau - St. Lawrence region. Can't remember her name though. She's apparently tough on her students too kinda like that Cookie fella.

33WTF Ottawa - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Ottawa Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:49 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Figure skaters are the strongest skaters on the planet and should be teaching power skating.

There's a woman who does clinics around the Rideau - St. Lawrence region. Can't remember her name though. She's apparently tough on her students too kinda like that Cookie fella.

Yah, women are fantastic hockey instructors a lot of the time and don't get near the credit they deserve. Especially the ones who teach power skating from the simplest cross over to using your edges to really learning how to dig in and use your legs to generate power.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum