GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+20
Amnesia021
Number Twenty Nine
DirtyDave
sens4win
22_4_ever
DefenceWinsChampionships
stempniaksen
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Riprock
NEELY
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:I fully expect a shortened season now. A November start seems pretty likely. And if that's the case, I say it bodes well for Alfie playing.

For very selfish reasons (i.e., an unmanageable workload between the start of September and the end of November), I'm OK with a late start this year. Smile

will you still be at Carleton?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I fully expect a shortened season now. A November start seems pretty likely. And if that's the case, I say it bodes well for Alfie playing.

When's the Winter Classic? Work backwards 2-3 weeks so they can advertise the hell out of it on NBC and that is your deadline for when the season starts. The smaller market teams will end up losing less money; the large market teams can afford this. While they would never admit to it, the owners don't mind shortening the season every 5-7 years to keep the salaries down. Neither do the stars, who can afford to take a pay cut to play shinny in Europe for a few months. The ones who lose are the minimum-wage players, the agents, the fringe players (who get pushed out of Euro league teams and the AHL) and, of course, the fans.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

When's the Winter Classic? Work backwards 2-3 weeks so they can advertise the hell out of it on NBC and that is your deadline for when the season starts. The smaller market teams will end up losing less money; the large market teams can afford this. While they would never admit to it, the owners don't mind shortening the season every 5-7 years to keep the salaries down. Neither do the stars, who can afford to take a pay cut to play shinny in Europe for a few months. The ones who lose are the minimum-wage players, the agents, the fringe players (who get pushed out of Euro league teams and the AHL) and, of course, the fans.

Source?

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Brennan blames it on Bettman:
If Alfredsson retires it's all commissioner's fault

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/21/blame-it-on-bettman

I would really blame it on 6 or 7 NHL owners/GM's for the ridiculous contracts they sign.. especially when 2 of them sit with the ownership bargaining committee who are complaining about the long term and high-salaried contracts. What a bunch of hypocrites.
Now I don't like Bettman... but when you have GM's like Holmgren, Sather, Lamarello and now Leopold -- Buffalo for their stupid contracts last year to Leino et al... they drive up the price that the rest of the teams can't match... They have created this.. by finding the loopholes.. that if closed, should stop this madness... The owners have to be protected from themselves.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Source?

Math.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Source?

Math.

Ah, I figured. So, the owners that make money every season, do they mind shortening the season (and losing profits)? The fact that stars can afford to take a pay cut...this means that they don't mind taking a pay cut? I'd like to see the mathematical formula you used to make these claims.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:

For very selfish reasons (i.e., an unmanageable workload between the start of September and the end of November), I'm OK with a late start this year. Smile
I'd be good with a regular 62-game season every year to be honest.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Most owners are making very little or actually losing. The losing ones will lose less in a shortened season. It's like the "anomaly" in The Matrix. There is a level of survival they are prepared to accept.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

There's a glitch in the Matrix.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'd be good with a regular 62-game season every year to be honest.

I can't watch 82 games anyway, no time. And 62 games would represent a 24.4% cutback. The owners can be generous and only ask for a 24% rollback again Smile

Seriously, the season starts a couple of weeks before the World Series and ends right when the NBA playoff races are going down to the wire. 20 games will give you 6-7 weeks -- start in late October to avoid the World Series, then stop 1-2 weeks earlier to reduce the overlap with the NBA season. Change the rules so that the players actually get paid for playoff games -- maybe the euros will play with a little more compete level Smile

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

will you still be at Carleton?

Yes, in a slightly different and expanded capacity. If the 9-5 job and 1 course isn't enough, I'll also have to deal with a conference, proofing my book, and the job apps season (itself a part-time job all on its own).

Hockey might as well start in December as far as I'm concerned, because I'm not sure how I will be able to make time for it before then. Right now, I'm not even sure how I'm going to be able to slot time for regular sleep in there. Smile

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

"Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid."

Ruh roh

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:"Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid."

Ruh roh

Not good. If the trade isn't voided, how can he show up in the dressing room after this?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Kris Versteeg re-ups in FLA for 4-years.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
Riprock wrote:"Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid."

Ruh roh

Not good. If the trade isn't voided, how can he show up in the dressing room after this?

A guy that clearly doesn't want to be there - just like another Russian who was forced to go there (Nabakov). Maybe they can flip him to Ottawa? Sarcasm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:Kris Versteeg re-ups in FLA for 4-years.

$4.4 x 4-years, according to Dreger via Twitter.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
spader wrote:

Ruh roh

A guy that clearly doesn't want to be there - just like another Russian who was forced to go there (Nabakov). Maybe they can flip him to Ottawa? Sarcasm

Lubo is Slovak!

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

D'oh! Facepalm Sounds Russian... very Ruski-ish.

So was his NTC with Anaheim or Edmonton? Cause if it was with EDM, then it would be like the Heatley scenario in which it was voided after he waived it to go to Anaheim (or SJ in DH's case).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum