GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trade Bonanza 2012! Speculation, Rumours, the Works!

+17
rooneypoo
KidKarlsson
sandysensfan
cash
dennycrane
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
SensHulk
Hoags
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
Hobiesens
Ev
shabbs
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
wprager
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 24]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm still slightly confused by the Lee/Gilroy trade. Did we need more offence from our D? I thought it was already tops in the league.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm sure it's because he wants teams to know that no matter what happens, the price will remain the same. If he sticks to his guns and gets a massive package back, he wins, if not, then he's fired (he should be anyway, enough is enough).

This is not like the Heatley situation where, yeah, losing him for arguably less than market value was sucky and unfortunate. This is the life of the franchise at stake here. CLB has to get a phenomenal return -- it can't be anything less. And yeah, if Nash asked for the trade but wants to restrict the number of teams that he'll be traded to, too bad, we have to do what's best for this franchise now.

With Heatley, I was against digging our heels in, for a bunch of reasons. But in CLB's situation, they absolutely have to dig in here. If he's going, fine, but the return has to be great, and if that means getting it from a team that's not on Nash's list, he has to be open to that now.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm sure it's because he wants teams to know that no matter what happens, the price will remain the same. If he sticks to his guns and gets a massive package back, he wins, if not, then he's fired (he should be anyway, enough is enough).

This is not like the Heatley situation where, yeah, losing him for arguably less than market value was sucky and unfortunate. This is the life of the franchise at stake here. CLB has to get a phenomenal return -- it can't be anything less. And yeah, if Nash asked for the trade but wants to restrict the number of teams that he'll be traded to, too bad, we have to do what's best for this franchise now.

With Heatley, I was against digging our heels in, for a bunch of reasons. But in CLB's situation, they absolutely have to dig in here. If he's going, fine, but the return has to be great, and if that means getting it from a team that's not on Nash's list, he has to be open to that now.

Exactly this.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm still slightly confused by the Lee/Gilroy trade. Did we need more offence from our D? I thought it was already tops in the league.

I didn't understand the deal the moment it was made, and I don't really understand it now -- which is not to say it's bad, I'm just not sure why we did it. To be fair, tho', Gilroy isn't a guy I've paid a lot of attention to, either. As long as he can play D at the same level that Lee was bringing, I guess that's OK. But at 6 ft, 200 pounds, he's not likely to be a guy who can clear the front of the net, which is something we need.

I think the only way you justify this move is, you know you don't want Lee back next year, for whatever reason, and you want to get something in return for him. So, what he gets us is a 2+ month look at Gilroy, to see if he's a fit for us longer term.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm still slightly confused by the Lee/Gilroy trade. Did we need more offence from our D? I thought it was already tops in the league.

I didn't understand the deal the moment it was made, and I don't really understand it now -- which is not to say it's bad, I'm just not sure why we did it. To be fair, tho', Gilroy isn't a guy I've paid a lot of attention to, either. As long as he can play D at the same level that Lee was bringing, I guess that's OK. But at 6 ft, 200 pounds, he's not likely to be a guy who can clear the front of the net, which is something we need.

I think the only way you justify this move is, you know you don't want Lee back next year, for whatever reason, and you want to get something in return for him. So, what he gets us is a 2+ month look at Gilroy, to see if he's a fit for us longer term.

I guess....

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:Ha. Burke gave a 12 minute presser on his big trade. Laughing3

Shouldn't you be sporting a Leaf avatar?

The sig. You think that's there for fun? Laugh1

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I think this is mostly a lateral move, although it should help the 2nd power play unit not having Phillips or Cowen out there. Secondly, I believe this gives Murray a 2 month window to see if he needs to resign Kuba. Let's face it, Brian Lee was never a favorite of this organization and has been on the trading block for years.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Riprock wrote:This is not Nash's problem at all, this is the worst thing Columbus could do. They just threw their best player ever, under the bus. Then backed it up over him.

Nash has been nothing but a class act for the city and the team. I bet that Howson approached him, maybe put it in his head about leaving, so Nash said "ok, trade me" then is now leaving out the first part of the convo.

Regardless, Columbus is screwed now. As if anyone would defend that clusterdiddle when apparently they can't make the playoffs in their history nor develop their draft picks.
I consider Nash as big a douchebag as Heatley now. Not for requesting a trade, but for invoking his no-trade clause to limit the organizations options. BIG OL' DOUCHEBAG.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Guess what: you're the GM of a rebuilding team perpetually stuck in the 10-13 spot in the east, and you have no assets capable of bringing back anything of substantial value. But here's to you patting yourself on your own back as you coast off to a future of prolonged mediocrity, big guy.

I am sure Burke spent the deadline day trying to find another Sutter to take the Leafs junk for a worthwhile player.

I'd love to hear his offer for Nash. Laugh1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:Ha. Burke gave a 12 minute presser on his big trade. Laughing3

Shouldn't you be sporting a Leaf avatar?

The sig. You think that's there for fun? Laugh1

Ah, I see that now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:
I think this is mostly a lateral move, although it should help the 2nd power play unit not having Phillips or Cowen out there. Secondly, I believe this gives Murray a 2 month window to see if he needs to resign Kuba. Let's face it, Brian Lee was never a favorite of this organization and has been on the trading block for years.

I think it's more about Carkner/Borowiecki/Gryba than Kuba. Murray loves Kuba, always has, I'm positive he'll do everything he can to re-sign him .

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

I think it's more about Carkner/Borowiecki/Gryba than Kuba. Murray loves Kuba, always has, I'm positive he'll do everything he can to re-sign him .
I thought so as well, but I am starting to wonder since nothing has been done yet.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

I thought so as well, but I am starting to wonder since nothing has been done yet.

Not sure why he hasn't been re-signed yet either. Perhaps Kuba wants a 3 or 4 year term and Murray wants to only give him a 2?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:

From what BM said, they think that Lee is more of a depth guy (6/7) and Gilroy is an "NHL player" and a 4/5 guy. Basically, the Sens management believes that they traded up. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I get a chance to see what Gilroy's got.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

From the admittedly little I have watched of him in Tampa, he is a good skater who is a little bit physical, but he has a bad habit of wandering around and getting caught way out of position both in the offensive and defensive end. He should fit it very well here LOL!!

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
Riprock wrote:This is not Nash's problem at all, this is the worst thing Columbus could do. They just threw their best player ever, under the bus. Then backed it up over him.

Nash has been nothing but a class act for the city and the team. I bet that Howson approached him, maybe put it in his head about leaving, so Nash said "ok, trade me" then is now leaving out the first part of the convo.

Regardless, Columbus is screwed now. As if anyone would defend that clusterdiddle when apparently they can't make the playoffs in their history nor develop their draft picks.
I consider Nash as big a douchebag as Heatley now. Not for requesting a trade, but for invoking his no-trade clause to limit the organizations options. BIG OL' DOUCHEBAG.

Yeah, his fault for wanting to stay with a struggling franchise then when he is backed into a decision to waive, he chooses to use the option given to him to say "If I leave I don't want to go to another struggling team; I'd rather stay here in that case. But If you want to trade me, then here's where I will go".

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Also, speculation that Nash approached BJ's owner and asked him to make changes in management/coaching and he refused, so it left Nash with feeling that team wasn't in good hands.

If Alfie approached Melnyk with concerns about coaching/GM, you listen.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would agree, not that Nash knows about hockey operations, but at this point, you fire Howson and start fresh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum