GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2012 NHL Draft

+24
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
sens4win
rooneypoo
SensHulk
SensGirl11
Amnesia021
tim1_2
sandysensfan
cash
shabbs
spader
Flo The Action
ddt
PTFlea
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
wprager
stempniaksen
Ev
LeCaptain
Riprock
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 67]

3762012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:And yet Matt Duchene was on a stacked team, but people still knew he was an elite player.

Not really sure that Brampton team was "stacked". They were good but a lot of it was because he and Hodgson carried that team. Taylor Hall was on a stacked team.

3772012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Brampton was awesome. I saw every single home game through a lens, and it was the best hockey I have seen. Sure, Windsor was the better team in the end, but the Battalion not only had Cody and Matt, but Grachev, and a solid shutdown defence of Brad Alberts and Matt Clark, not to mention the secondary scoring of Carrick and Stajan.

Man those were the days. Stan Butler is an amazing hockey builder.

3782012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Tue May 22, 2012 10:20 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Brampton was awesome. I saw every single home game through a lens, and it was the best hockey I have seen. Sure, Windsor was the better team in the end, but the Battalion not only had Cody and Matt, but Grachev, and a solid shutdown defence of Brad Alberts and Matt Clark, not to mention the secondary scoring of Carrick and Stajan.

Yah, that's not a stacked team. That's a good team. Like the 67's this year... good, not great, not stacked. The Ice Dogs were stacked.

Best hockey you have seen or not doesn't make it a team that was supposed to be anything more then a potential contender.

3792012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Tue May 22, 2012 10:52 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Riprock wrote:Ugh, that's an odd statement.

Figured you would be encouraging players that are winners.

I when top end talent fails to get things done or can't lead a team to victory, yah, there is something to be said. If Taylor Hall choked and couldn't win a OHL title, I would use that an excuse not to take him.

The best players tend to be on teams that dont win, expecially in jr. That why I think a guy like Finn may end up being a Sen because he just isn't playing right now. That's where you find the gems.

That doesn't make a lick of sense when you Dung on guys for being "losers' but ok.

Guys that don't reach expectations, that's my point. A guy like Spezza, 90% of the time does fail to do that. Another guy like that IMO will be like that is Sean Couturier.

A guy like Taylor Hall is a guy that always met expectations but always played on a winning team. Then there are guys like Scott Gleanie who are along for the ride and their stock goes sky high because of the team they are on, that's something you have to avoid in the draft.

The best players are the Matt Duchene's, Tyler Myers', Krieder's etc that don't get the extra attention before being drafted like others who play in the Memorial Cup. Yah, I am picking and choosing a bit but my point is guys that fail to meet expectations in Jr will very likely not meet them in the pro's. That's just how I view the draft. You want guys that make you go "wow, didn't know he had that in him" as opposed too "I was expecting more".

You see guys like Duchene declining in the NHL (people were and still are ridiculous for saying he would be better than Tavares) so it just depends on the player.

I want to draft guys who get better every year and have a nice development curve. I don't care if they're on a winning team or if they're on a losing team. Knocking a guy for being on a good team is stupid. Just look at the player himself. A guy like Reinhart or a guy like Maatta are on great teams but they have both exceeded expectations in these playoffs and have been dominant.

3802012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:Brampton was awesome. I saw every single home game through a lens, and it was the best hockey I have seen. Sure, Windsor was the better team in the end, but the Battalion not only had Cody and Matt, but Grachev, and a solid shutdown defence of Brad Alberts and Matt Clark, not to mention the secondary scoring of Carrick and Stajan.

He's a good builder but I'm surprised he's lasted so long given his results.

3812012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Tue May 22, 2012 10:58 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Like I said, I used a guy like Gleanie as the example. People should still be very weary of players that get a ton of exposure because of the team they are on as well as players who seem to have all the talent but leave people wanting more. That's why Couturier dropped, that's why Fowler dropped.

Playing a winning absolutely hides some faults of players. To suggest it doesn't is wrong. Maata could be the latest in that group.

A guy like Finn is a player people should look at and say "wow, he did a lot for the Storm and was their MVP" where would they be without him? You look at London and ask the same thing about Maata and the answer is "right where they are".

Yah, looking at the development curve of a player is the most important thing but looking at the situation they have been put in along with the players surrounding them is important as well.

3822012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Riprock wrote:Ugh, that's an odd statement.

Figured you would be encouraging players that are winners.

I when top end talent fails to get things done or can't lead a team to victory, yah, there is something to be said. If Taylor Hall choked and couldn't win a OHL title, I would use that an excuse not to take him.

The best players tend to be on teams that dont win, expecially in jr. That why I think a guy like Finn may end up being a Sen because he just isn't playing right now. That's where you find the gems.

That doesn't make a lick of sense when you Dung on guys for being "losers' but ok.

Guys that don't reach expectations, that's my point. A guy like Spezza, 90% of the time does fail to do that. Another guy like that IMO will be like that is Sean Couturier.

A guy like Taylor Hall is a guy that always met expectations but always played on a winning team. Then there are guys like Scott Gleanie who are along for the ride and their stock goes sky high because of the team they are on, that's something you have to avoid in the draft.

The best players are the Matt Duchene's, Tyler Myers', Krieder's etc that don't get the extra attention before being drafted like others who play in the Memorial Cup. Yah, I am picking and choosing a bit but my point is guys that fail to meet expectations in Jr will very likely not meet them in the pro's. That's just how I view the draft. You want guys that make you go "wow, didn't know he had that in him" as opposed too "I was expecting more".

You see guys like Duchene declining in the NHL (people were and still are ridiculous for saying he would be better than Tavares) so it just depends on the player.

I want to draft guys who get better every year and have a nice development curve. I don't care if they're on a winning team or if they're on a losing team. Knocking a guy for being on a good team is stupid. Just look at the player himself. A guy like Reinhart or a guy like Maatta are on great teams but they have both exceeded expectations in these playoffs and have been dominant.

I still think that might be the case at the end of the day but Tavares is looking better than I thought he was to be honest. I didn't give him enough credit and taking him 1st overall was the right call (not that I ever disagreed with it). I think Duchene has more tools but w/e, doesn't matter what I think. The guy that is looking like a wasted 2nd overall is Hedman, never been a fan of his game.

3832012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 10:31 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah Hedman looks very overrated, mind you I don't see enough games, but vs. Ottawa he looked out of place and uncollected.

3842012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 10:45 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Yeah Hedman looks very overrated, mind you I don't see enough games, but vs. Ottawa he looked out of place and uncollected.

I didn't like him at the WJC in Ottawa and when I said Karlsson was about 100 times better than he was a lot of people laughed it off.

3852012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 11:54 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'd probably still take him (in Ottawa) right now though.

Just ave to seriously winder "what if" though if you are Tampa... yes, they needed a defenceman of "franchise"-like caliber, but they could have had Duchene to go with Stamkos, then possibly have traded Vinny to Montreal, for that rumored package of Subban and/or Plekanec.

3862012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
Riprock wrote:Yeah Hedman looks very overrated, mind you I don't see enough games, but vs. Ottawa he looked out of place and uncollected.

I didn't like him at the WJC in Ottawa and when I said Karlsson was about 100 times better than he was a lot of people laughed it off.

It's been a pet-peeve of mine that of the two Swedish D-men taken in the top 10 he had more hype. I followed them closely in the first couple of seasons and starting from their rookie years Karlsson was better. Hedman's claim to fame was putting Sid out of action for a year.

P.S. If you really said "100 times better" that's probably what people laughed at. It's hyperbole. The only thing Hedman has on Karlsson is size. Karlsson is a much faster skater, more steady on his sates as well (which allows him to play bigger than he is -- just ask Boyle), able to navigate with the puck in tight traffic, very accurate pass and a great shot, and he just plain sees the play develop a lot faster and has the tools to react appropriately.

3872012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

haha I was looking up stats for Henrik Samuelsson and he played in a league called "PF Chang's U18".

http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2029&year0=2010&status=stats

3882012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 1:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PF Chang? Any relation to Senor Chang?

3892012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sat May 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:PF Chang? Any relation to Senor Chang?

It's a Chinese restaurant chain lol

3902012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun May 27, 2012 1:31 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If anyone wants a draft guide, I have one that I am willing to e-mail out. PM me your e-mail if you want one.

3912012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun May 27, 2012 9:20 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mmmmm PF Chang's....

3922012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tom Wilson is said to have the most NHL-ready physique at the combine, garnering comparisons to Seguin and Landeskog.

He should be a nice riser because of this and his strong playoffs (7 goals in 13 games, after 9 in 49 in the regular season).

3932012 NHL Draft - Page 26 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

as my avatar and location shows, I believe Tomas hertl will be a surprise higher pick come draft day, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottaw have him ranked high. Really underrated, lots of skill and lots of size. Plays a Zibanejad type game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum