GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Restaurant Reviews - or - Where are you eating now?

+13
Cap'n Clutch
LethalLehner
spader
LeCaptain
wprager
shabbs
dennycrane
SensHulk
Riprock
tim1_2
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Thought we already had a thread like this, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Figured this could be an useful thread to have.

A couple of nights ago, I went to a great Lebanese sit down restaurant (not shawarma), and it was absolutely amazing. The meat is all grilled, with various beef, chicken, lamb, and some pork dishes. They have their specialty chicken which is incredible, and I was a big fan of their Shish Taouk. Also their Baba ghanouj was unreal. The food was fresh, and even though I ate more than I should have, I didn't feel sick afterward. The name of this place is Les Grillades, and is on Holland ave, just north of Wellington. Main courses are about $14. It's in the mold where you order various dishes and the table shares.

Another restaurant I want to recommend is called Coconut Lagoon on St. Laurent Boulevard at McArthur. It's Indian style cuisine, and is absolutely delicious. Beautifully spiced. Nice enough ambiance. One can vary the heat level, and on some dishes choose whether they want vegetarian, lamb, chicken, beef or fish. Main dishes are on average about $17. I recommend the Lamb Kurma, it was succulent, and incredibly flavourful. And for those who like really spicy food, you can ask them to make it that way. But be warned, they can make it atomic. I went with my dad, he ordered the Beef Vindaloo, and asked for it really spiced, saying he can handle it, blah blah blah. Lucky they brought some yogurt too, because we as white people just got owned. My dad was just pouring the yogurt on since it was so hot. I wasn't so lucky, since I can't eat yogurt, i had to stomach it, and wash away the pain with water and beer.

Last restaurant I want to mention is a steakhouse by the name of Prime 360. The steaks there are just to die for. So amazingly good. I've heard great things about Hy's as well, with Al's Steakhouse being thrown in the mix for best steaks in Ottawa. Prime 360 is definitely better than Al's, as that's where we used to go. It's located in the Minto Suites Hotel in Downtown, on Laurier. It is an expensive steak though, but I don't remember how much, as it has been a while since I last went. A good indication of this is that their website does not list the prices. The ambiance is quiet, classy, and pretty romantic. We always go for steak, and last time I started with the Calamari, which was also very well prepared, and very flavourful. Highly recommended for a special occasion.

These are a couple of my contributions, would love to know about others favourite places to eat. I like trying new food, and am excited to try your hidden gems. So... What you got?!?!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I shall call you... The Epicurean.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:I shall call you... The Epicurean.

I like it!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Silfer Server wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I shall call you... The Epicurean.

I like it!

Cheers

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good to know about the Coconut Lagoon. LOVE Indian food, might have to give it a go. I'm very partial to Haveli's in the market. Best Beef Madras I've ever had.

Yum friggin yum....

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Five Guys

Hazeldean Road, Stittsville

On the menu: Burgers, hot dogs, fries

The menu is simple. Burger. Cheeseburger. Bacon Cheeseburger. Hot Dog. Cheesedog. Bacon Cheesedog. Regular Fries. Large Fries. Drinks. That's it. And it's all good.

Expect to pay somewhere in the $8-$12 range for a meal including drink. The burgers are a good size, and delicious. The hot dogs are pretty standard, but also big and good. The bacon cheeseburger has lots of bacon. A variety of toppings are available for your selection.

The fries are also yummy. They are more akin to chip wagon fries than fast-food fries in that they are big. They fry them in peanut oil (allergy alert), and don't salt them afterwards, leaving you free to pimp them as you see fit. The fry sizes are also like those at a chip-wagon. A regular fry, accompanied by a burger or hot dog, is plenty for one person. A large is a meal in itself, or good for sharing.

Your meal will come in a bag, leaving you free to in the restaurant, or take your food home with you.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hmm, another interesting suggestion ^

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Indian Express is a good option for Indian, but it's take out only.

Anyone know of any restaurants in Ottawa the serve Beef Wellington?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Take it from an Indian person....the best Indian food in town is a place called 'Little India Cafe' right across the Coliseum theatre. It is a very small place, and doesn't have the presentation of a haveli's or east india company, but the food and service is 100x better than those places.

It's been in the citizen several times and lineups on weekends are outrageous. I highly recommend.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Five Guys

Hazeldean Road, Stittsville

On the menu: Burgers, hot dogs, fries

The menu is simple. Burger. Cheeseburger. Bacon Cheeseburger. Hot Dog. Cheesedog. Bacon Cheesedog. Regular Fries. Large Fries. Drinks. That's it. And it's all good.

Expect to pay somewhere in the $8-$12 range for a meal including drink. The burgers are a good size, and delicious. The hot dogs are pretty standard, but also big and good. The bacon cheeseburger has lots of bacon. A variety of toppings are available for your selection.

The fries are also yummy. They are more akin to chip wagon fries than fast-food fries in that they are big. They fry them in peanut oil (allergy alert), and don't salt them afterwards, leaving you free to pimp them as you see fit. The fry sizes are also like those at a chip-wagon. A regular fry, accompanied by a burger or hot dog, is plenty for one person. A large is a meal in itself, or good for sharing.

Your meal will come in a bag, leaving you free to in the restaurant, or take your food home with you.

Sounds like amazing Pre-Sens game fare. I'll definitely check it out. Since going to Chicago for the Sens game last year, and tasting how diverse, good, and reasonably priced arena food can be, I've been disillusioned with our own stadium's deficiencies in the area.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Another good burger place is Vera's, found inside the Butchery in Bells Corners. You can get a burger, fries or a hot dog. Pretty solid, again 8-12 bucks.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:Indian Express is a good option for Indian, but it's take out only.

Anyone know of any restaurants in Ottawa the serve Beef Wellington?

According to a Google search, Courtyard Restaurant on George st has/had them, but a quick look at their website and menu, they currently only have a beef tenderloin.

Being a watcher of Hell's Kitchen, I've oft thought of trying to make it myself, just to see what it's like. But then I really think about it, and I just like beef too much to wrap it in pastry. Just seems wrong.

Also because of that show, I've been wanting to make a risotto.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Michallica wrote:Take it from an Indian person....the best Indian food in town is a place called 'Little India Cafe' right across the Coliseum theatre. It is a very small place, and doesn't have the presentation of a haveli's or east india company, but the food and service is 100x better than those places.

It's been in the citizen several times and lineups on weekends are outrageous. I highly recommend.

I'll definitely have to try that place. But it's usually a good sign for ethnic restaurants when they are frequented by said ethnicity.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yup, Hell's Kitchen is why I am tempted to try it.

I've seen recipes to make Wellington (Beef, Pork, etc). And I did use google to try and find a restaurant and got the same one you did, but as you said, it was an old post. Surprised the Keg doesn't have one.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Sitar is pretty good too...

http://sitarindianrestaurant.ca/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum