GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UNMODERATED - DISCUSS AT YOUR OWN RISK!:Uptown Sports has this little ditty to say:

+13
strachattack
TheAvatar
spader
Tuk Tuk
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
wprager
SensHulk
shabbs
The Silfer Server
Ev
Riprock
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Some may say "man" is responsible for all of this? Vertigo

Yes. Woman is often heard saying this.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's a good reason why Church and State should remain separate.

A Marriage under religion should remain as such until such point that a new interpretation (has happened many times and will continue to happen) is agreed upon IMO.

A Civil Marriage is not a religious union and as such it should allow same sex couples to enter into it IMO.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hey, if you’re taking it up the pooper, you’ve already suffered enough to be a worthy marriage candidate!

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Have I read the bible? Surely, you jest. How do you think I became an atheist in the first place?

And I quote from Deuteronomy 5:6-21:

"But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work"

Straight out of the New Revised Standard Edition. As far as the other things I mentioned, they are all in there, in the book of Leviticus, which I suggest you read before accusing me of not reading the bible.

You completely skipped what I said. The *basis* of the Judaic laws is the Ten Commandments. There are various translations and, no, sorry, I have not read the original, but whether it says to keep it holy or to not work, my point was the ridiculous ends to which it has been interpreted. Leviticus was just the start. Moses did not come down the mountain holding the Book of Laws but just a couple of stone tablets. "Man" is responsible for the rest.

Man is responsible for ALL of it, not the rest of it. Religion is man made. It's a taught and learn belief system. And the story of Moses and the stone tablets originates from the bible, which was written by who? Man, not god. The Torah itself is thought to have be written by Moses himself, and that includes Leviticus. To say that the problem lies with man misinterpreting the bible and not the bible itself doesn't make sense.

That is your original point I am debating,that religion itself is not to blame, but it's adherents that misinterpret it etc. Religion was flawed from it's invention.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Have I read the bible? Surely, you jest. How do you think I became an atheist in the first place?

"But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work"

Straight out of the New Revised Standard Edition. As far as the other things I mentioned, they are all in there, in the book of Leviticus, which I suggest you read before accusing me of not reading the bible.

You completely skipped what I said. The *basis* of the Judaic laws is the Ten Commandments. There are various translations and, no, sorry, I have not read the original, but whether it says to keep it holy or to not work, my point was the ridiculous ends to which it has been interpreted. Leviticus was just the start. Moses did not come down the mountain holding the Book of Laws but just a couple of stone tablets. "Man" is responsible for the rest.

Man is responsible for ALL of it, not the rest of it. Religion is man made. It's a taught and learn belief system. And the story of Moses and the stone tablets originates from the bible, which was written by who? Man, not god. The Torah itself is thought to have be written by Moses himself, and that includes Leviticus. To say that the problem lies with man misinterpreting the bible and not the bible itself doesn't make sense.

That is your original point I am debating,that religion itself is not to blame, but it's adherents that misinterpret it etc. Religion was flawed from it's invention.

Whatever. See you in hell. I'll be the one looking down and waving Sarcasm

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
But you know there are some religions that do condone same sex marriage. So if a same sex couple were to get 'married' under that religion, would you then consider it a marriage or not?

Name one!

Unitarians, for one. Some others are moving towards an acceptance of happy marriage, but haven't made changes yet, including Episcopalians and Lutherans. Also, there are plenty of non-Christian religions that accept happy marriage including those of some Aboriginal communities, Buddhists, Pagans, and Wiccans.

Again, denominations are not religions. Pagans and Wiccans -- are you serious? Why not bring up the greeks and Romans, too. Buddhism is a philosophy than religion. Buddha was not, and never professed to be a deity. Just enlightened.

Are suggesting that the belief systems that the Greeks and Romans held was not a religion? This reminds me of a joke I once heard:

Do you know the difference between religion and mythology? About a 1000 years.

The Greeks and Romans were EVERY bit as devout in their beliefs as any religious person today. To them it was no less real than Islam is to a Muslim, or Jesus Christ to a Christian.

And yes, different denominations are different from one another (further proves how absurd the bible is), and have different views and dogmas. Is a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness the same as a Catholic? No, there are some real fundamental differences in the way they interpret the bible, and thus, are different. Sure the differences are minute in most circumstances (since there are roughly 40,000 sects of Christianity), but they are each distinct, and they are distinct because at one time or another they spilt from another group because of differences in belief.

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Whatever. See you in hell. I'll be the one looking down and waving Sarcasm

I bet that would sting I actually believed in hell. Laugh1

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Was meant as a joke, not a condemnation. I don't think you can actually see from Heaven into Hell, anyway. All those white fluffy clouds, and the dark billowy brimstone clouds in the way.

wprager wrote:Was meant as a joke, not a condemnation. I don't think you can actually see from Heaven into Hell, anyway. All those white fluffy clouds, and the dark billowy brimstone clouds in the way.

I figured it wasn't serious. No worries.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Kyle Dubas just tweeted that he left Uptown Sports. You may recall that Kyle Dubas is the 25-year-old GM of the Soo Greyhounds. He was an agent at Uptown. I guess it's easier to quit your job when you have a better one lined up.

Now, when are we going to see some pros leaving?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think now would be a good time for me to apply to be an agent there.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:I think now would be a good time for me to apply to be an agent there.

Work on that five year plan!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum