GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UNMODERATED - DISCUSS AT YOUR OWN RISK!:Uptown Sports has this little ditty to say:

+13
strachattack
TheAvatar
spader
Tuk Tuk
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
wprager
SensHulk
shabbs
The Silfer Server
Ev
Riprock
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:
wprager wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:The sooner religion dies out, the sooner this hatred and bigotry will. I don't know why some people believe their own religious beliefs should have power over the rights of others. I don't see why people are so threatened by the concept of homosexual marriage. How does two men or women marrying take any value away from your own marriage?

Marriage is no longer a concept owned by the church, or any religion. Which means the views of those religions should have no influence on it.

You realize that you sound like a bigot, right there, don't you? Is corporate greed any better? Communism? Capitalism? The problem is not religion, but people. You *do* realize that, don't you? The Koran does not tell anyone to strap on a bomb and kill children, just like Christ never told his disciples to go out and kill those who refused to be converted.

The opposite of religion isn't corporate greed, communism, or capitalism. The problem is the people who grow up being taught this through their religion, and then pass it on to their children, and so on. It's mainly the middle eastern religions too. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. You don't see this in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, etc to my knowledge. Even the Romans and Greeks were completely accepting of homosexuality. We're farther back in terms of homosexual acceptance than people who lived more than 2000 years ago. That's what religion has done to us.

I wasn't going for opposites at all, just alternatives.

Communism is an alternative to religion? Eyebrow

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tuk Tuk wrote:I have read the bible. I've gone through catholic schooling for 14 years now. I've also read the Qur'an, the Nevi'im and Kethuvim, The Morman Bible, and the Tripitaka.

If anyone's just accepting what's being fed to them, it's you.

Why would you read those if you didn't have to? They probably do make for some good fiction though.

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:I have read the bible. I've gone through catholic schooling for 14 years now. I've also read the Qur'an, the Nevi'im and Kethuvim, The Morman Bible, and the Tripitaka.

Why would you read those if you didn't have to? They probably do make for some good fiction though.

Not even. The plots all over the place, disjointed, characters appear and reappear out of no where, and the main character has a "holier than thou" attitude. I wouldn't recommend it.

I find the psychology of religion really interesting, I've written a few school papers on it, and been in a few debates, so I want to know as much as I could about them.

Last edited by Tuk Tuk on Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
The bible is pretty plain about certain things that are expected of it's followers. That's the scripture where the flaw lies, not the people. I'm talking ridiculous notions such as killing someone who works on the sabbath, selling your daughter into slavery, not being allowed to have contact with a women during menstruation etc etc.

You say the problem is people not religion. Religion is a man-made invention. It's a learned belief, and an absurdly archaic and flawed one at that. To blame people but not religion is ignoring the ridiculous notions that religion expects of it's followers.

I am with Tuk Tuk in that religion serves no purpose in today's society. It's unneccesary and quite frankly, the good outweighs the bad.

OMG, have you even read the Bible? Or do you just accept what's fed to you on TV?

Moses came down the mountain with 10 laws. *TEN* No-where does it say, in those 10, that you are not allowed to pick up a phone on Saturday, or even drive your car. Forget that there were no phones or cards in Moses' times. That was all interpretation by flawed man. "Keep the Sabbath Holy" somehow became "you can't cook or answer the phone on Saturdays". I'm not making this up, a good friend who was very strict Orthodox explained this to me. She had it in her contract to go home at 3:30 on Fridays in the winter, because she was not allowed to drive after sundown, when Sabbath officially began.

So we had 10 laws and man turned them into hundreds of pages of "interpretations".

Have I read the bible? Surely, you jest. How do you think I became an atheist in the first place?

And I quote from Deuteronomy 5:6-21:

"But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work"

Straight out of the New Revised Standard Edition. As far as the other things I mentioned, they are all in there, in the book of Leviticus, which I suggest you read before accusing me of not reading the bible.

Tuk Tuk wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

I find the psychology of religion really interesting, I've written a few school papers on it, and been in a few debates, so I want to know as much as I could about them.

I'm fascinated too. People kill for their religion, some die for it. I dismiss it completely. Something about that fascinates me.

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
But you know there are some religions that do condone same sex marriage. So if a same sex couple were to get 'married' under that religion, would you then consider it a marriage or not?

Name one!

Unitarians, for one. Some others are moving towards an acceptance of happy marriage, but haven't made changes yet, including Episcopalians and Lutherans. Also, there are plenty of non-Christian religions that accept happy marriage including those of some Aboriginal communities, Buddhists, Pagans, and Wiccans.

Again, denominations are not religions. Pagans and Wiccans -- are you serious? Why not bring up the greeks and Romans, too. Buddhism is a philosophy than religion. Buddha was not, and never professed to be a deity. Just enlightened.

Sorry, I should have left Paganism and Wiccan out of the debate. I didn't realize we were only talking about the "serious" and "believable" religions.

Just to clear things up and make this process a bit simpler, why don't you tell us what counts as a religion? Denominations are out, as are fringe religions. What are we talking about here? Judaism, Islam, and Christianity? Or do the last two count as denominations of the first? Sarcasm

Don't forget about the Church of Scientology. Those people have it going on.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
But you know there are some religions that do condone same sex marriage. So if a same sex couple were to get 'married' under that religion, would you then consider it a marriage or not?

Name one!

Unitarians, for one. Some others are moving towards an acceptance of happy marriage, but haven't made changes yet, including Episcopalians and Lutherans. Also, there are plenty of non-Christian religions that accept happy marriage including those of some Aboriginal communities, Buddhists, Pagans, and Wiccans.

Again, denominations are not religions. Pagans and Wiccans -- are you serious? Why not bring up the greeks and Romans, too. Buddhism is a philosophy than religion. Buddha was not, and never professed to be a deity. Just enlightened.

Sorry, I should have left Paganism and Wiccan out of the debate. I didn't realize we were only talking about the "serious" and "believable" religions.

Just to clear things up and make this process a bit simpler, why don't you tell us what counts as a religion? Denominations are out, as are fringe religions. What are we talking about here? Judaism, Islam, and Christianity? Or do the last two count as denominations of the first? Sarcasm

I keep thinking about the Steven Roberts quotation. Something like, "I contend that we're both atheists. I merely believe in one less god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you'll understand why I dismiss yours."

spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

Name one!

I keep thinking about the Steven Roberts quotation. Something like, "I contend that we're both atheists. I merely believe in one less god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you'll understand why I dismiss yours."

That was my signature here for the better part of my tenure here. I only just changed it recently actually.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:That was my signature here for the better part of my tenure here. I only just changed it recently actually.
Ha. I knew I'd seen it here. I actually PM'd SD (and wprager, I think) a couple months ago to find out who it was that had that as a sig. I couldn't remember who had used it. ThumbsUp

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Buddhism not a religion? Surely the millions here In Thailand would disagree. Just because Buddha wasn't delusional enough to think of himself as the son of god doesn't mean a religion didn't ensue.

Speaking of homosexuality, here in Thailand, the general population doesn't blink twice about it. It's also very common for a man to rebound his born gender and seek an operation to be a woman. No one bats an eye at this.

Makes one wonder how many people repress themselves under the morals of Christianity an our conservative society.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
Have I read the bible? Surely, you jest. How do you think I became an atheist in the first place?

"But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work"

Straight out of the New Revised Standard Edition. As far as the other things I mentioned, they are all in there, in the book of Leviticus, which I suggest you read before accusing me of not reading the bible.

You completely skipped what I said. The *basis* of the Judaic laws is the Ten Commandments. There are various translations and, no, sorry, I have not read the original, but whether it says to keep it holy or to not work, my point was the ridiculous ends to which it has been interpreted. Leviticus was just the start. Moses did not come down the mountain holding the Book of Laws but just a couple of stone tablets. "Man" is responsible for the rest.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Some may say "man" is responsible for all of this? Vertigo

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Buddhism not a religion? Surely the millions here In Thailand would disagree. Just because Buddha wasn't delusional enough to think of himself as the son of god doesn't mean a religion didn't ensue.

Speaking of homosexuality, here in Thailand, the general population doesn't blink twice about it. It's also very common for a man to rebound his born gender and seek an operation to be a woman. No one bats an eye at this.

Makes one wonder how many people repress themselves under the morals of Christianity an our conservative society.

Wow get out of Thailand right now!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:

You completely skipped what I said. The *basis* of the Judaic laws is the Ten Commandments. There are various translations and, no, sorry, I have not read the original, but whether it says to keep it holy or to not work, my point was the ridiculous ends to which it has been interpreted. Leviticus was just the start. Moses did not come down the mountain holding the Book of Laws but just a couple of stone tablets. "Man" is responsible for the rest.

Back to the Stephen Roberts quotation that I posted earlier, there are more than a few of us that argue that man is responsible for the whole thing. We're dismissive of the Judaic religions the same way (and for the same reasons) that you were dismissive of Paganism and Wiccan.

Additionally, if the tablets are the basis of the religion, where does it say in the tablets that homosexuality is wrong (I realize that that's not what you're saying) or that marriage is between one man and one woman? I guess that falls under the section that humans are responsible, no?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You are right. Homosexuality is not mentioned in the Ten Commandments. They talk about not coveting your neighbor's a$$ thought, don't they?

Hold on, wait. It says nothing about homosexuality, but it says not to commit adultery (sex outside of marriage). You see where this is going? Clever!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Some may say "man" is responsible for all of this? Vertigo

Yes. Woman is often heard saying this.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's a good reason why Church and State should remain separate.

A Marriage under religion should remain as such until such point that a new interpretation (has happened many times and will continue to happen) is agreed upon IMO.

A Civil Marriage is not a religious union and as such it should allow same sex couples to enter into it IMO.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hey, if you’re taking it up the pooper, you’ve already suffered enough to be a worthy marriage candidate!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum