GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 16]

16New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:Why don't you wait for the 4K sales on boxing day? They've dropped in price significantly recently I think.
lol doesn't look like it

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/4k-tvs/4k-tvs-devices.aspx?path=ddbf503efe22aae813cd32a81102caf9en01

I wanna spend less than $1000

17New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a LG plasma, not a Panasonic, but Panasonic is universally regarded as the plasma-king. Also, get it now, because I think Panasonic is ending production of plasmas next year.

Getting a 4K TV now is just a waste of money, especially since no 4K programming is available.

For the price of this Panasonic you're looking at, there's nothing that can beat it. Just. Do. It.

18New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:58 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Stereo Plus and Design has a 75' LED Smart TV on sale for 2999 (regularly 3999).
SOLD!!!

19New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

75 feet is pretty big.

20New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I have a LG plasma, not a Panasonic, but Panasonic is universally regarded as the plasma-king.  Also, get it now, because I think Panasonic is ending production of plasmas next year.

Getting a 4K TV now is just a waste of money, especially since no 4K programming is available.

For the price of this Panasonic you're looking at, there's nothing that can beat it.  Just. Do. It.
I'm still waiting for true HD programming to come in on my cable box or satellite dish. You have to be challenged to spend money on an upgrade when broadcasting hasn't even caught up to "old" TVs yet.

21New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

But if you game and watch Blu-Ray, it's worth it (not the 4k I mean)

22New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:15 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:But if you game and watch Blu-Ray, it's worth it (not the 4k I mean)
This 75 foot TV I keep reading about is something I definitely would consider.

23New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:or 240Hz LCD
Those ratings are somewhat irrelevant. The broadcast is using 60 frames per second so as long as you can switch from one frame completely to another at 60 Hz you're fine. Problem is the set may claim to be able to switch at 60 or 120 or 240 Hz but that's usually measured on a grey-to-grey transition. See this:

For an LCD display, typical response times are 8 to 16 ms for black-white-black, or 2 to 6ms for grey-to-grey. The response time was traditionally recorded at the full black > white transition, which became the ISO standard for this specification on LCDs. Grey transitions are far more common in practice but in terms of pixel latency, they remained significantly behind the ISO transition.
My set is 120 Hz (LED backlight) and after some calibration (to adjust colors/contrast/brightness/etc. *and* to disable the "tru motion" crap) it looks fantastic. No blur whatsoever. Now the tru-motion is supposed to be better for sports but I'm not sure I agree. I see a huge (negative) difference watching film (makes everything look like a soap opera) and don't notice any benefit watching sports, so I just disabled it in every setup.

As to the glare, my brother in law has a Pioneer Elite. I don't think they make them any more and even if they did, not sure you would be comfortable spending *that kind* of $$. Very expensive, but also very, very nice. His set is in the living room with a full-wall window to the right, and there is zero glare.

In some cases the glare comes from a protective screen that can be removed, so if you don't have kids/pets or if the set is up on a wall, you could google around to see if anyone has removed the protective cover from your set.

24New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:Tempted to get a plasma, wonder if I'd notice 720p vs. 1080p.  Looking at them in the stores if you sit close enough you notice (I do anyway).

720p ones are dirt cheap now.
Thing with those is that they probably have a native resolution of 768, not 720, so the picture is altered to fit the greater number of lines. I'm not 100% sure but I think the 1080p sets *actually* have a native resolution of 1080.

25New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:or 240Hz LCD
480Hz are coming...

Still can't match the 600Hz of Plasma.

Wink
Still don't need to. Content is 30 fps or 24 fps. For 3D you'd want to double that. For being able to match both 30 fps and 24 fps, *and* 3D you need 240.

Now, actually being able to switch every pixel 240 times per second without any blur -- that is what you need, but none of those specs reliably tell you whether the set can actually accomplish that.

Plasma has blur, for sure. It's not as bad as CRTs or the older LCDs, but it's no instant on/off either. Of course that doesn't mean you can actually notice it.

26New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good plasmas don't have noticeable blur.

LEDs have more blur.

27New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I have a LG plasma, not a Panasonic, but Panasonic is universally regarded as the plasma-king.  Also, get it now, because I think Panasonic is ending production of plasmas next year.

For the price of this Panasonic you're looking at, there's nothing that can beat it.  Just. Do. It.
Netflix (US) has some 4K content, I think.

Edit: Yep. http://news.yahoo.com/netflix-starts-streaming-4k-content-115222888.html

28New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Why are you replying to posts that are two and a half years old?!?!? You've lost it, W.P. Rager.

29New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Why are you replying to posts that are two and a half years old?!?!?  You've lost it, W.P. Rager.
lol Didn't even notice. Saw the new posts didn't realize it was an old thread.

30New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Netflix (US) has some 4K content, I think.

Edit: Yep. http://news.yahoo.com/netflix-starts-streaming-4k-content-115222888.html

They have one test video available in 4K definition, and there's no internet service in Canada fast enough that would stream it in 4K.

31New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I'm still rocking the humongous cabinet 65" CRT HDTV rear projection. Still going strong.

32New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PLASMA FTW!!!

33New Plasma TV - Page 2 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:13 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Plasma's are unquestionably the best TVs, but after Panasonic stops making them next year, they are finished.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum