GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 16]

1New Plasma TV Empty New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

After doing a LOT of research to replace my older LCD rear-projection set, I finally settled on an LG 60PK550 plasma TV. It's 60 inches versus my LCD RP set that was 55".

Anyway, it was on sale for a SWEET price ($1299). A comparable LED/LCD set would've run a minimum of $2000. The reviews all indicated that this was a great TV. I just had it delivered on Monday. From what I can understand, plasmas tend to produce a better overall picture than LEDs, but the difference is pretty slim, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference. Generally plasmas have better black-levels compared to LEDs, but LEDs can produce brighter whites. Brighter whites sounded important for hockey-viewing, but after seeing this plasma in action, I had to buy it.

The first game I watched (Monday night on TSN2, it was a Versus broadcast) left me disappointed. The ice appeared pretty dull and grey compared to the picture on my old LCD RP set.

I did more searching online, and found some different picture settings to try. I watched the Sens game last night and the picture was 100% better. I attribute this in part to the picture adjustments I did to the plasma, but also I think the Versus broadcast was lower quality, and I think whatever arena the game was in (can't remember) was probably poorly lit, and the camera angle was different.

Suffice it to say, I am a very happy plasma owner. The fluidity of the motion was MUCH better on the plasma than my old set, and colours appear more vibrant. Watching other TV in high-def is also a pleasure.

The one downfall to my plasma (and most plasmas from the sound of it), is that the screen is quite reflective. This isn't a big deal in my basement, as I can dim my lights and close the blinds, but it's still a drawback.

I can't compare my TV to LEDs currently on the market, as I've never had one in my setup, but I can say that I'm quite satisfied with my purchase.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience with a plasma? Any hockey-watching plasma owners out there?

2New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

check out http://www.avsforum.com/

all the info to your heart's content....

3New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's where I got a lot of my info. A lot of those guys are REALLY hardcore about A/V stuff.

4New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

For fast action sports like hockey... plasma is preferred.

Great choice.

We've got a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma (1080p) in our bedroom. It's flippin' sweet.

PLASMA FTW!!!!!

5New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

or 240Hz LCD

6New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have a 50' LG Plasma. It's not 1080P or I or whatever but for $300 new I can't complain.

7New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Tempted to get a plasma, wonder if I'd notice 720p vs. 1080p. Looking at them in the stores if you sit close enough you notice (I do anyway).

720p ones are dirt cheap now.

8New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:59 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:or 240Hz LCD
480Hz are coming...

Still can't match the 600Hz of Plasma.

Wink

9New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Tempted to get a plasma, wonder if I'd notice 720p vs. 1080p. Looking at them in the stores if you sit close enough you notice (I do anyway).

720p ones are dirt cheap now.

You would notice the difference depending on how close you are sitting to the TV, and what size screen you get. If you're getting anything under 47 inches, then 720p is fine. If you're going to be getting a 60 incher, and sitting 10 feet away from it, I'd get 1080p.
Also, be aware of the reflections. If you're going to put a TV in a room with a lot of ambient light, I'd go with a LED/LCD. In the basement, a plasma is great.

10New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did a lot of research lately on TV's (want a new one - 42 inch is just small for me), and this TV seems killer. The lesser version has received rave reviews for it's picture quality, and it's a very low cost. This version improves the picture in bright environments.

Anyone have it? It's $785.99 at Costco.

http://www.costco.ca/Panasonic-Viera-TC-50PS64-50-in.-Smart-1080p-Plasma-HDTV**-.product.100041978.html

11New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:44 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Why don't you wait for the 4K sales on boxing day? They've dropped in price significantly recently I think.

12New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Stereo Plus and Design has a 75' LED Smart TV on sale for 2999 (regularly 3999).

- Unknown Author

13New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:Why don't you wait for the 4K sales on boxing day? They've dropped in price significantly recently I think.
lol doesn't look like it

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/4k-tvs/4k-tvs-devices.aspx?path=ddbf503efe22aae813cd32a81102caf9en01

I wanna spend less than $1000

14New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a LG plasma, not a Panasonic, but Panasonic is universally regarded as the plasma-king. Also, get it now, because I think Panasonic is ending production of plasmas next year.

Getting a 4K TV now is just a waste of money, especially since no 4K programming is available.

For the price of this Panasonic you're looking at, there's nothing that can beat it. Just. Do. It.

15New Plasma TV Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:58 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Stereo Plus and Design has a 75' LED Smart TV on sale for 2999 (regularly 3999).
SOLD!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 16]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum