GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 16]

136New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Dell.ca has a 60" LG plasma $200 off -- $800, free shipping.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6813436

Also the Sharp 70" and 80" LEDs are $700 off:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6954158
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6939164

137New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Dell.ca has a 60" LG plasma $200 off -- $800, free shipping.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6813436

Also the Sharp 70" and 80" LEDs are $700 off:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6954158
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6939164

That LG plasma is pretty much equivalent to what I have. Such good value.

138New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This is the plasma you want...

http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/viera-televisions/smart-viera-tvs/tc-p65zt60.html

Kuro who?

I. Must. Have. This.

139New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:02 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NCix has the Samsung PN60f8500 on sale for $1,698, $1,300 off. The best picture quality on the market.

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/80267/1301

140New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:22 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dell.ca had some 84" UHD TV regular price $20k on sale for $8k. While $12k off is really impressive, I question how anyone would ever spend $20k for anything at an online retailer.

141New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:31 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Future Shops website had a couple $30K TVs.

You should buy that plasma, Ev. They're being phased out, but have the beat picture.

142New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:NCix has the Samsung PN60f8500 on sale for $1,698, $1,300 off. The best picture quality on the market.

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/80267/1301

I went looking for info on plasma vs OLED. Found an article that said the blue organicLED compound had a a short lifespan guesstimated at 7000 hours. That's just under 5 years at 4 hours per day.

Stick with plasma if weight/heat are not concern.

143New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:48 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Still too much coin for me. I'll enjoy my 50 inch panny for now

144New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Future Shops website had a couple $30K TVs.

You should buy that plasma, Ev. They're being phased out, but have the beat picture.

FS also have brick-and-mortar shops, Dell is strictly online.

145New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bought a new TV. Samsung 55KS8000. Have my 3 year old 50 inch Panny plasma available to sell if anyone was interested. Love the picture, just wanted something bigger and more versatile. The plasma is best for darker rooms - it has a reflection filter built in so it's not the worst, but it's not the best for brighter environments.

146New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I love my plasma TV. Some of the edges are starting to show some weird colours but she's I think 4 or 5 years old? I guess that's what happens. I do recommend them though

147New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I was visiting my mom on the weekend. That old JVC 35" CRT that I bought when I was living on the NSERC scholarship, apparently still working very well for watching VHS. She loves the audio (that's the biggest complaint with the thin TVs -- they shouldn't even bother putting in speakers). Paid $1200 for it back around 1985 and the inflation calculator tells me that's nearly $2,550 today. I saw a 42" LED 1080p set at Shoppers for $280 the other day.

Your plasma is only 4-5 years old and it's starting to show weird colors around the edges? They don't build them like they used to.

148New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I was visiting my mom on the weekend.  That old JVC 35" CRT that I bought when I was living on the NSERC scholarship, apparently still working very well for watching VHS.  She loves the audio (that's the biggest complaint with the thin TVs -- they shouldn't even bother putting in speakers).  Paid $1200 for it back around 1985 and the inflation calculator tells me that's nearly $2,550 today.  I saw a 42" LED 1080p set at Shoppers for $280 the other day.

Your plasma is only 4-5 years old and it's starting to show weird colors around the edges?  They don't build them like they used to.

Hahaha. You're right. I think we've been conditioned to accept lesser quality nowadays and it's a really shame. I'm amazed that my laptop is still performing past 3 years but it's starting to show signs of slowing down on its performance.
280$ fora 42"? Thats a great deal!well, depending on the brand and if it works past the 1st year.

This will probably be my last plasma but that's just because I'm likely facing having to move around in the next couple of years so I don't want anything to bulky. (Im even contemplating the possibility of moving back to Ottawa! Bank of canada is presently hiring) depending where my next job takes me.

149New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We're moving in less than a month and I still have my 57" rear projection CRT collecting dust in the basement. In the previous house it was our main TV on the basement, in a built in wall unit. In this house we has it in the main floor family room at first, then got a first panel (3d) TV with the idea of putting it above the mantle. That never materialized but the old behemoth was relegated to the basement for occasional use with the GameCube or (when we had FibeTV) to watch the WJC while the main set was occupied playing all the new games the kids got for Christmas.

PQ wise this set is better than the LED 3d TV for most things. And the audio is better than the soundbar we use with the thin one.

I'm going to hate to move it. Anyone want it?

150New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

After four months, I'm not the biggest fan of my KS8000. The picture is great, it gets very bright, but Samsung seems to have this judder/blur when there is any sort of panning on the screen, and the motion overall is just weird. It's not bad, it's just weird to me. I might look at getting an OLED instead

151New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

From here

I turned off the "Auto Motion Plus" feature and all my issues are solved.

You should be able to find settings listed for this set to do some proper calibration in addition to disabling (or at least setting to the lowest level) any "enhancements".

Typically with all motion smoothing schemes the end result is the picture looks like it was videotaped (even for film); the so-called soap-opera effect. It may be OK for sports (not sure about gaming) but I absolutely hate it for film. Stayed at a hotel a little while back and the TV in the room had motion enhancements turned on, with no way (that I could figure out) to access the menu to turn it off.

152New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another possibility from a Facebook thread:

I have a KS8000 and have also been suffering awful motion blur/ghosting especially in dark scenes but I managed to eliminate most of the issue by turning off "Digital Clean View" in the picture settings

Again, any digital manipulation of the picture usually leads to a worse picture.

153New Plasma TV - Page 10 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yup I have all those turned off. It's not really motion blur that's the issue, it's an image duplication that is apparently present on all TVs that use backlight flickering. My eyes are also more sensitive to this sort of thing as I have had laser surgery and lights sometimes have a halo around them. Plasma was great for this. Apparently most Sony 4K tvs don't use flickering so I may look into those.

This isn't a big deal or anything but it's hard getting used to it after watching on a plasma for so long. That's why I think I'll take the plunge and get OLED

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum