GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 16]

76New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:12 pm

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

So, I too must buy a new TV (well, the house burned down so I need to buy everything, all over again). one of the things that I get a lot about plasma TV's is that they don't work well in a bright room ... instead, I'm considering an 8000 series Samsung LED. Does that sound like the right decision?

77New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:23 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sucks about your stuff burning.

The brightness of the room isn't as much a concern as the glare on the screen might be. So you need to determine if you'll have any light sources (lights, sun, etc) shining directly at the screen.

78New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Shiiiiiit that sucks brother... sorry to hear that.

79New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What happened? Everyone alright?

80New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheAvatar wrote:So, I too must buy a new TV (well, the house burned down so I need to buy everything, all over again).  one of the things that I get a lot about plasma TV's is that they don't work well in a bright room ... instead, I'm considering an 8000 series Samsung LED.  Does that sound like the right decision?
Holy crap dude! That is crazy. Hope everyone is ok!

81New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

In BB, not feeling the Pany. The Samsung 65f7100 is sweet!

82New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:So, I too must buy a new TV (well, the house burned down so I need to buy everything, all over again).  one of the things that I get a lot about plasma TV's is that they don't work well in a bright room ... instead, I'm considering an 8000 series Samsung LED.  Does that sound like the right decision?
I hope everyone is safe and sound, that's what's important

83New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:08 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:In BB, not feeling the Pany.  The Samsung 65f7100 is sweet!
Careful. A big box store is the worst place to judge a TV.

84New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That Sammy does get a good review though...

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un65f7100.html

What model is the Panny?

This site: http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Has some good reviews.

85New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The guy took both off the rotating source and played the same bluray in both. Plasma doesn't do it for me. I like led better.

86New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:That Sammy does get a good review though...

What model is the Panny?

Has some good reviews.
Pany p65vt60, they don't have the p65st60 left

87New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:28 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
shabbs wrote:That Sammy does get a good review though...

What model is the Panny?

Has some good reviews.
Pany p65vt60,  they don't have the p65st60 left
That Panny is a sweet TV too....

http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-tcp65vt60.html

88New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I could squeeze my budget up $500 and go Sammy 75f6300. It looked pretty good to me. Not sure if there's a huge difference between 240 and 120hz in real world setting.

89New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:36 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The 120Hz vs 240Hz is an often discussed and debated subject. Both will handle judder properly and do a 2:3 pull down nicely on film sourced as 24fps (assuming your BR player will send it at 24fps). In my opinion, the 240Hz is not worth the extra $$$. Save some and spend it on some BR titles.

I have seen talk of going to 240Hz if you want to use 3D. If that's something you are thinking of doing, consider the 240Hz. I don't care for 3D, nor do any of my TVs support it. The reason for this is that the 3D signal gets split into two I believe, in a phase shift, and thus the rate gets halved, so having 240Hz gets you 120Hz for each side of the 3D signal. Not totally sure about that, but I'm sure a bit of Googling can clear that up.

Plasma is 600Hz. Wink

90New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I know plasma is 600hz, but I really don't like the look. We'll see what happens this Thanksgiving.

91New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks. Everyone is fine. It happened Sunday afternoon 2 weeks ago. It was a chimney fire. We live in a bungalow (finished basement). The basement (where the wood stove was located) is fine but the main floor is destroyed. Everything is charred. The whole house must be gutted, down to the structure and rebuild (and a new roof).

We were not able to save anything from the main floor. Clothing, electronics, appliances, furniture, flooring, etc had to be junked. It's all "stuff" though and most of it can be replaced.

We had made copies of our digital pictures on various hard drives to protect ourselves from hardware failure but we had no offsite backups. We were pretty shaken up by all of our hard drives being melted but it turns out that we were able to retrieve the contents from one of the drives.

We stayed in a hotel for a couple of weeks but we have now rented a house. This means that life can start again. The insurance and restoration companies estimate that we should be able to move back in around May or June.

92New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I know plasma is 600hz, but I really don't like the look.  We'll see what happens this Thanksgiving.
Should be some sweet sweet deals...

93New Plasma TV - Page 6 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Try and check out the TVs in an audio/video store that has dedicated setups/rooms and have calibrated their TVs. You get a much better idea of what they TVs can do. Then go find the cheapest place to buy the one you want on Black Friday and enjoy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum