GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Future of the Ottawa Senators

+12
ddt
Straight Shooter
Flo The Action
Hayden
Oglethorpe
Ev
SensHulk
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
wprager
SeawaySensFan
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 am

I went to the game last night and I can honestly say that it was the worst Sens game that I had ever been to. The boxscore may show that the Sens had 30+ shots on net, but Ward and the Canes didn't look phased at all by the Sens attack.

The 4th line and Erik Karlsson were the only players on the ice that seemed to have any passion. Our captain and leader is playing hurt, and he can't put a team on his shoulders the way he used to. Our best player is gone for 6 weeks, Kovalev and Gonchar have to be the two worst UFA signings over the last two years in the NHL, and our third line looks lost and role-less. Everyone on this team is under-performing at a level inconceivable by fans and management alike.

Looking at management, Muckler traded away a majority of our top-end talent for stop-gaps and prospects that never amounted to anything. At least at that point we were competing. Since Murray took over, we've missed out on top-end UFAs, elite players wanting to play in Ottawa, we chased our best player out of the city, we've gone through three coaches, and we've missed the playoffs once, squeeked in once, finshed respectfully last year but are on pace to miss the playoffs again this year.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Ottawa Senators as an organization is percieved as a joke league wide. We have management issues, coaching issues, player issues, and the city itself isn't a desireable playing location. We're sandwiched between two of the most energetic and passionate fan bases in the NHL in one of the coldest cities in the NHL.

The question I am posing to you is how do we right this ship. This questions stems beyond a rebuild. How do we improve the image of our franchise and how do we get back into being a contender?

2The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:12 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kovalfie wrote:I went to the game last night and I can honestly say that it was the worst Sens game that I had ever been to. The boxscore may show that the Sens had 30+ shots on net, but Ward and the Canes didn't look phased at all by the Sens attack.

The 4th line and Erik Karlsson were the only players on the ice that seemed to have any passion. Our captain and leader is playing hurt, and he can't put a team on his shoulders the way he used to. Our best player is gone for 6 weeks, Kovalev and Gonchar have to be the two worst UFA signings over the last two years in the NHL, and our third line looks lost and role-less. Everyone on this team is under-performing at a level inconceivable by fans and management alike.

Looking at management, Muckler traded away a majority of our top-end talent for stop-gaps and prospects that never amounted to anything. At least at that point we were competing. Since Murray took over, we've missed out on top-end UFAs, elite players wanting to play in Ottawa, we chased our best player out of the city, we've gone through three coaches, and we've missed the playoffs once, squeeked in once, finshed respectfully last year but are on pace to miss the playoffs again this year.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Ottawa Senators as an organization is percieved as a joke league wide. We have management issues, coaching issues, player issues, and the city itself isn't a desireable playing location. We're sandwiched between two of the most energetic and passionate fan bases in the NHL in one of the coldest cities in the NHL.

The question I am posing to you is how do we right this ship. This questions stems beyond a rebuild. How do we improve the image of our franchise and how do we get back into being a contender?

It's still early. I've been preaching patience for months now and I maintain that position. No need to panic.

3The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:17 am

This isn't a sign of panicking. It's fact.

Let's face it. Murray has effed this team up quite a bit since becoming GM. Yes he may have re-stocked the prospect shelves but until these guys become elite forces in the NHL, he's done nothing but make our on-ice product worse.

We've gone through three coaches, one star player demanded a trade out of here, and our star players have regressed considerably year after year.

Our fans are dead silent, attendance is taking a serious hit, and people in this city are losing interest in the team.

How can this be fixed? I'm not even sure that a re-build is the answer. I think it starts from management down.

4The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You've punctuated every loss with a "Time to blow this dung up". Not exactly preaching patience Smile

5The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 am

I think a lot of people on this site are over-optimistic. I might be more on the pessimistic side but I mean, I was on my blackberry half way through the first period wishing I wasn't at the game.

You all say to preach patience. What am I waiting for?

6The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:28 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:You've punctuated every loss with a "Time to blow this dung up". Not exactly preaching patience Smile

Maybe I was just repeating what the "patient" ones said for effect to emphasize how right I was about blowing this Dung up (for months now). Dancing

Now let's blow this Dung up y'all!!!

Ahhhhh yeeeaahhhhh!!!

Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

7The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm a patient guy, but it's time to pack this season in. Kuba/Kovalev/Gonchar/Ruutu are all available for a pick; Leclaire for nothing. Twist my arm and you can have Campoli and Regin as well. Neil, it will be sad to see you go but at $2M per season I'm disappointed.

Start next season with Cowen and Rundblad -- I don't care if they make mistakes, at least they'll be exciting mistakes. Smith deserved a spot out of camp this year, so he's a lock. O'Brien and Butler can have a long look as well. And despite what CR (and others) are saying, by all means bring in Lehner to push Elliott.

Heck, if we can move some contracts, I'd love to see these guys here sooner.

8The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:39 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Fortunately we got cap space this summer to make significant changes.

I do not think we can get rid of as many players as we'd like but I think the team would be different enough to have hope that next year will be different.

I mean look at Calgary(a team in a similar situation) and they are really up the creek.

We've got flexibility to make changes, let's hope BM or whoever the next GM is has the guts to do what has to be done.

I don't think we're seen as a joke around the league, Gonchar (for what it's worth) had quite a few good things to say about us.

I think the naysayers were right. Our window has closed, for whatever reason the team overachieved last year, this lineup will not get anywhere.

Last edited by Hoags on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

9The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's a very real risk of wrecking these guys if they're brought up too early though isn't there? Especially in Lehner's case right?

- Unknown Author

10The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:41 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:There's a very real risk of wrecking these guys if they're brought up too early though isn't there? Especially in Lehner's case right?

Besides, even if this season is lost, the mandate next year will be to make the playoffs.

11The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:41 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is how I want to approach the off-season:

__________ - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Regin - Butler
Z.Smith - Kelly - Neil
_________ - Winchester - _________

possibles:
1.Greening
2.O'Brien
3.Condra
4.Silfverberg
5.Ryan Shannon

Phillips - Karlsson
_______ - Gonchar
_______ - ________

extra
Carkner

possibilities:
1.Cowen
2.Rundblad

Elliott
_______

possibilities:

1.Lehner
2.Brodeur
3.Brust

Obviously there are trades and acquisitions to make aplenty.

EDIT:
No, not happy with the 2nd line.

12The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't put Lehner in, let's not descend into Brian Burke levels of desperation.

I'd call up as many kids from Bingo who are ready but I doubt it'd be in his best interests, people are saying we rushed Elliott in as well.

Everytime I think it might be a good idea to bring Lehner up, I think of Steve Mason.

Oh and I wouldn't trade Gonchar, I think it's too soon to call it on him. Not to mention we just signed him and gave him an NMC. It'd look bad on us asking him to waive it less than a year on the Sens, and have him move his family in the process again.

I think he'll be a good mentor for Karlsson, Rundblad and maybe Wiercioch if he makes it up.

13The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not desperation. I wouldn't expect a lot of wins or a playoff spot. Just get all the kids together and build some team chemistry and a bit of experience. Then hopefully a top-five pick forward or two and let's see where 2012-13 finds us.

To me, this season is a write-off and it won't be better (on paper) next year. But a more exciting team will bring more people in -- the better play and better expectations for the future.

14The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

At this point I don't really care if it makes us look bad to trade Gonchar. UFAs don't want to come here unless we are overpaying them or giving them an extra year (or both). Let's make an exiting, promising team and get UFAs to want to come here for the *right* reasons.

Please, don't feel sorry for a guy making $5.5M a year and being outplayed by a 175-lb sophomore.

15The Future of the Ottawa Senators Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:00 am

@ Hoags: I agree. Lehner needs to be the #1 in the AHL next season.

@SpezD: That 2nd line is horrendous

Who do we target in the off-season? Who should our coach and GM be?

Trade-wise, I'd take a serious look at the following players. I think all these guys are obtainable given the right package:
- D. Penner
- S. Weber
- N. Filatov
- N. Bergfors
- T. Zajac
- O. Moller
- J. Staal
- Josh Bailey

I'd sign Vokoun, and one (or both) of Backes and Fleischmann in the off-season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum