GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators and the what ifs...

+4
Hockeyhero22000
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have been very cautiously optimistic about the Ottawa Senators this season considering all the question marks going in. So far we've had some uncharacteristic starts from Fisher (Great) and Spezza (Not so Good). Cheechoo, Foligno, Shannon and Kovalev have also had a hard time producing offense. Carkner has been down right amazing and Ruutu and Neil have been pleasant surprises on offense. Our Defense seems to be turning a bit of a corner and I've actually found myself appreciating some of Brian Lee's work in his own end.

What would the Senators as a team and the players as individuals need to do to make you believers, that they can make some noise in the playoffs, this season? How long into the season before you've made your decision?

I personally think that if they can get themselves close to a .700 record by Christmas, get Spezza(goal production), Kovalev, Foligno and Regin going offensively, and get Leclaire closer to a .920 save pct and 2.5 GAA then I'll be a believer that they can at least win a couple rounds.

- Unknown Author

2Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

All I would need from the players to make me a true believer would be simply to meet their individual expectations. Simple. It never happens, though. For any team really.

3Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:30 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

You forgot to mention the huge disappointments that are Picard and Campoli. I haven't been as annoyed at a player - night in, night out - as I am at Campoli since Arvedsson's last years as a sen.

4Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Picard has really picked up his game IMO. I think the Picard-Carkner pairing has been quite good. Campoli and Lee haven't looked too bad lately either.

- Unknown Author

5Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

I think everyone is reading way too much into spezza's lack of goal production he has been tremendously better defensively(compared to previous years) and has still put up a good amount of assists the goals will come but i would rather see him continue to work on his defensive game

6Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:I think everyone is reading way too much into spezza's lack of goal production he has been tremendously better defensively(compared to previous years) and has still put up a good amount of assists the goals will come but i would rather see him continue to work on his defensive game

100% agreed - but, you have to admit that when Spezza doesn't contribute offensively, there's tremendous pressure on others. Right now Fisher has taken the reigns...if he stops... Ahhhhh!

7Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

but michalek is also putting up the numbers and spezza is still setting guys up he has 12 assists in 18 games so yea his numbers are a bit low but he is still making plays in general which is what he does best i still think it is justr a matter of time until he puts it all together

8Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

If Dany Heatley was still here Spezza would probably have 20 assists by now but I still think he is playing as good as ever. Wins are cming in, so I don't worry much. I thought we wanted to have a "team" playink like one and not care about individual stats?

9Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:I think everyone is reading way too much into spezza's lack of goal production he has been tremendously better defensively(compared to previous years) and has still put up a good amount of assists the goals will come but i would rather see him continue to work on his defensive game

The goals dont bug me much, the 0 points in 6 games before Buffalo did though. That cant happen for stretches like that. He doesnt have to score but he does have to provide offense.

10Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
The goals dont bug me much, the 0 points in 6 games before Buffalo did though. That cant happen for stretches like that. He doesnt have to score but he does have to provide offense.

I feel the same way. Could care less if he scores another goal all year, but he has to be setting guys up so that we can score and take some pressure off our D and off Fisher's line.

What we're seeing now - I believe - is Spezza learning the finer points of playing a 2-way game, something that he probably should have taken more time to learn when he was 22 instead of 26. I think we're seeing a guy who is committed to making these adjustments and playing a better all-around game and I think we're seeing the growing pains that accompany that (less points, more hard skating, hard work, more soreness, more sacrifice etc.).

Like most other players who commit to this style a little later, it usually takes a solid year - if not more - to merge their talent with the work ethic in all three zones.

11Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:00 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:

But if his passes aren't converted is that his fault? If you don't have to score but you have to provide offense, that just means you have to make good passes to players. The rest depends on the other players. There have been a few times where he made good passes but they were not converted.

Last few games, though, he's not been playing all that well, that much is obvious. But neither was Alfie until he had that 2-goal game. It'll come.

12Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:39 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So back to the topic. What does the team need to do to make you a believer? When will you have made up your mind?

- Unknown Author

13Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:41 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

For me If they only score 2 goals a game for the rest of the season but are winning I'm fine. I always laugh when people say Player X isn't scoring, but he has 50 assists. That's still 50 goals the team has scored whether he did or helped someone else to.

Anyway, I'll be a believe if the continue their dominance at home (remember 2 of their 3 losses came from Pittsburgh and NJ, both of which I believe they deserved to win the games), and they are .500 on the road come Jan 1. That for me will mark that regardless of how well Heatley is playing by himself that by trading him Ottawa is now a true Team.

14Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:50 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So Devo will the game on Wednesday be a tough one to watch being a Devils fan? Will you be hoping for an OT loss by the Sens on this one?

- Unknown Author

15Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Empty Re: Ottawa Senators and the what ifs... Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:09 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So Devo will the game on Wednesday be a tough one to watch being a Devils fan? Will you be hoping for an OT loss by the Sens on this one?

Yeah an OT loss for the sens would be perfect. With that said I don't think anyone on this board can be upset with 9 points in 5 games against some of the better teams in the East. This run has the boys at TSN worrying, they are already way way off with Toronto finishing 9th ( I believe they picked TO 9th and Ottawa 10th).

How embarrassing for them should Ottawa finish at the top and Toronto so far off...I love hearing the name dropper back track.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum