GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL going to Vegas, baby

+2
Mosky
Riprock
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Well, yes, but I meant relocating the team to a Canadian city... any of which would be more successful than those failing American ones.

17NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:43 pm

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:you're right about that arena and the issues, but a new owner could take care of the arena.

As for the other issues, I'm not too sure or clear as to what they are, but I know it could work.

Quebec city would make sense to me, in a way, but for some reason, I don't see it happening. Also, if the rumor is true that they have a hard enough time recruiting players to the habs due to Quebec's tax laws, one more franchise in "la Belle province" would prove just as challenging, no?

yeah it would... it's too bad because it would be great for hockey to go back there... very passionate and smart hockey fans up there...

18NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:47 pm

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Yeah, they really have supported Phoenix when they've held pre-season games there. They need a bigger building though, from what people say.

I'd like to see Halifax get a team, would cover most of the Maritimes, huge student base, tourism, etc.

I'd love to see a team in Halifax, but i'm not so sure it would work... Students don't really have the money to support an NHL team, and tourism in the winter isn't that great in the maritimes... They would also need to build another arena.. I'd love to see it happen as I have lots of family down there, but i just have a hard time imagining it working...

19NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I'd like to see the NHL move a team to Vegas and either Winnipeg or Hamilton. I think bthat either city could do well. Then the league should contract to 28 teams. The players would then be dispursed to the remaining teams were I am sure each team would get at least get one good player and a decent prospect.

20NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I can't see that happening.... that would have a huge affect on the salary cap. Teams like Nashville with players like Weber, Suter, Arnott, etc and Atlanta with Kovalchuk, Schneider... no way they can be added to a team... then you get a guy like Kovy somehow going to Pittsburgh in some lottery? Reeks of conspiracy and unfairness.

21NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:58 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:I can't see that happening.... that would have a huge affect on the salary cap. Teams like Nashville with players like Weber, Suter, Arnott, etc and Atlanta with Kovalchuk, Schneider... no way they can be added to a team... then you get a guy like Kovy somehow going to Pittsburgh in some lottery? Reeks of conspiracy and unfairness.

Yeah, with salary caps in place I wonder how a dispersal draft would take place... Would you be only able to take players who fit under your cap? and then if so, like said if a guy like Kovalchuk dosen't fit under anyone's cap what would happen?

22NHL going to Vegas, baby - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well it would create a huge tidal wave throughout the NHL... a team would obviously take Kovy even if it meant waiving/trading to get him under the cap... but it cannot happen. Do you give the last place team first pick AND #1 overall pick? No way. Lottery pick? As I said, then a team like Detroit or Pittsburgh could get a huge star. Makes no sense.

Plus, there are a lot of players (NHL caliber) not playing this level because there's no room, take two teams away and 40+ players lose their jobs.

What they need is to stabilize the financially burdened teams by relocating them to cities that will support them and sell them to owners that can afford the risk (Balsillie). They also need to add a few more AHL affiliates, since some teams are still sharing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum