GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL going to Vegas, baby

+2
Mosky
Riprock
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:37 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/10/06/nhl_awards/

... not expansion or relocation though... yet. They are looking into having the city host the NHL awards though. That would eb a start. I'm not opposed to a franchise relocatiing there, like Atlanta or Nashville.

Expansion would work too, so long as they add at leats one more Canadian team. Though 32 teams might be too much?

2NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:39 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

That would be pretty nuts... a vegas team lol, but its true about that question.. is 32 teams too much? it would be nice to have another canadian team but i really think that the only city that might be able to have a team in canada would be winnipeg...

3NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mosky wrote:That would be pretty nuts... a vegas team lol, but its true about that question.. is 32 teams too much? it would be nice to have another canadian team but i really think that the only city that might be able to have a team in canada would be winnipeg...

They're talking about moving one of the existing teams that suck with attendance there (Nashville, Long Island, Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida) - take your pick, they all suck.

4NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Quebec City could probably handle it as well.

I think they should focus on relocating the hurting franchises first. Prime candidates IMO are Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida. Not sure about Phoenix' success. Wasn't Washington also on the bottom of revenue?

5NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:45 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I still think that by 2009 - 2010, Balsillie will own an NHL team and either Winnipeg or possibly even Kitchener or Halifax will have a team located or relocated there...

The front runner being Winnipeg. The people there are STARVING for the NHL to make a comeback and return.

6NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah but Washington has AO... so they have to be drawing somewhat more now than before... Quebec city could, but I just haven't heard of them at all wanting a team back.. i think the population is there but just not the interest. I was watching sportsnet a couple of weeks back and they had someone talking about bringing a team back to winnipeg, don't remember who it was but it was a former nhl player... i think it would be good to have atleast one team in the prairies lol

7NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:47 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:I still think that by 2009 - 2010, Balsillie will own an NHL team and either Winnipeg or possibly even Kitchener or Halifax will have a team located or relocated there...

The front runner being Winnipeg. The people there are STARVING for the NHL to make a comeback and return.

Winnipeg has too many problems for an NHL team to return... plus the arena they just built is too small...

8NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

you're right about that arena and the issues, but a new owner could take care of the arena.

As for the other issues, I'm not too sure or clear as to what they are, but I know it could work.

Quebec city would make sense to me, in a way, but for some reason, I don't see it happening. Also, if the rumor is true that they have a hard enough time recruiting players to the habs due to Quebec's tax laws, one more franchise in "la Belle province" would prove just as challenging, no?

9NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:50 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, they really have supported Phoenix when they've held pre-season games there. They need a bigger building though, from what people say.

I'd like to see Halifax get a team, would cover most of the Maritimes, huge student base, tourism, etc.

10NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:50 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:you're right about that arena and the issues, but a new owner could take care of the arena.

As for the other issues, I'm not too sure or clear as to what they are, but I know it could work.

Quebec city would make sense to me, in a way, but for some reason, I don't see it happening. Also, if the rumor is true that they have a hard enough time recruiting players to the habs due to Quebec's tax laws, one more franchise in "la Belle province" would prove just as challenging, no?

if not worse...

11NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:52 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Mosky wrote:Yeah but Washington has AO... so they have to be drawing somewhat more now than before...

They've had him for a while now and it hasn't helped. And they are spending to the cap. I think despite all that they are suffering quite a bit. Any Canaidan team would love to have Alexander the Gr8.

12NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

DashRiprock wrote:
Mosky wrote:Yeah but Washington has AO... so they have to be drawing somewhat more now than before...

They've had him for a while now and it hasn't helped. And they are spending to the cap. I think despite all that they are suffering quite a bit. Any Canaidan team would love to have Alexander the Gr8.

Ottawa...? :drunken: lol

13NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well, yes, but I meant relocating the team to a Canadian city... any of which would be more successful than those failing American ones.

14NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:43 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:you're right about that arena and the issues, but a new owner could take care of the arena.

yeah it would... it's too bad because it would be great for hockey to go back there... very passionate and smart hockey fans up there...

15NHL going to Vegas, baby Empty Re: NHL going to Vegas, baby Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:47 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Yeah, they really have supported Phoenix when they've held pre-season games there. They need a bigger building though, from what people say.

I'd like to see Halifax get a team, would cover most of the Maritimes, huge student base, tourism, etc.

I'd love to see a team in Halifax, but i'm not so sure it would work... Students don't really have the money to support an NHL team, and tourism in the winter isn't that great in the maritimes... They would also need to build another arena.. I'd love to see it happen as I have lots of family down there, but i just have a hard time imagining it working...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum