GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What are the lines/pairings when Spezza/Kuba are back?

+2
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So as not to make it a complete rip off of a HFBoards thread, I've added the D-pairings to the subject. Although, to be fair, I wondered about the line-combos earlier this morning in the GDT, and only found the HFBoards thread when I was looking for some news on Elliott.

So, the question(s):

When Spezza gets back -- could be as early as this Saturday against the Bruins -- what are the line combinations?

When Kuba gets off that underwater treadmill -- could be as early as next year against the Leafs -- what are the defensive pairings?

I'll start with the forward lines. I see a couple of likely scenarios: First, Clouston puts the old top-line (Alfie-Spezza-Michalek) back together, demotes Fisher back to the second line, slides Foligno to 3rd/4th, Smith or Winchester sit out. Second, Clouston keeps the current top line intact until Fisher cools off, Spezza plays second line with Regin/Kovalev, Foligno slides down and you've heard the rest.

Given that Spezza has missed a couple of weeks, and the current top-line is humming, I can see the second option being the more likely one -- bring Spezza's ice time up gradually. On the other hand, you can't completely ignore the chemistry the original top line had, either (even though they have played about a half-dozen games, including the pre-season).

My dark-horse option is to move Fisher over to the wing but I feel like I'm BeatingaDeadHorse

In all scenarios I see Foligno losing his top-six spot and, given the chemistry of the RKN line, that probably means a slide all the way to 4th.

One last question -- who sits? Shannon has been playing well, Smith just scored a goal -- does that mean Winchester is out? Maybe against the Bruins you sit Shannon and have a fourth line of Smith-Winchester-Foligno. Goosebumps?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I personally think they'll rest Spezza longer than expected if things keep humming along.

As for Kuba - He'll slot in with Campoli initially but that "remains" a couple weeks away so....

Okay we'll assume they're both back - Here's what I think.

On Defense:
Phillips with Gonchar, Kuba with Campoli, Carkner with Karlsson at least initially.

Forwards:

Spezza will start out on line 4 in the lineup card but will be quickly moved to line one with Alfie and Michalek
line two is Regin, Fisher, Kovalev - Gotta find a spot for Fisher as usual
line 3 Ruutu, Kelly, Neil - Can't break this line up.
Line 4 Foligno, Smith/Winchester, Shannon - They'll get more than 5 min a game. Shannon has to stay in based on his point production with limited ice time.

- Unknown Author

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think Kuba and Karlsson will be the 2nd pairing.

Campoli and Carkner for the 3rd, Hale will go back down.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:I think Kuba and Karlsson will be the 2nd pairing.

I think eventually it will be Kuba - Karlsson but probably not right away IMO.

Campoli has shown he deserves top 4 minutes and Karlsson still needs to ease his way back into top 4 from what I've seen. I don't think they put Karlsson on the bottom pair just to bide time while they wait for Kuba to be his partner. Kuba will be coming off an injury and will need a steady partner.

- Unknown Author

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Campoli has shown he deserves top 4 minutes and Karlsson still needs to ease his way back into top 4 from what I've seen. I don't think they put Karlsson on the bottom pair just to bide time while they wait for Kuba to be his partner. Kuba will be coming off an injury and will need a steady partner.

If you want both players on their natural side, to maximize the chance of them playing well, then Kuba-Karlsson and Campoli-Carkner is the only solution, unless Phillips and Gonchar are split up.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Spezza starting on the 4th line? Madness Cap'n. We'll see how many minutes he gets tomorrow night... that will tell the tale.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally think they'll rest Spezza longer than expected if things keep humming along.

As for Kuba - He'll slot in with Campoli initially but that "remains" a couple weeks away so....

Okay we'll assume they're both back - Here's what I think.

On Defense:
Phillips with Gonchar, Kuba with Campoli, Carkner with Karlsson at least initially.

Forwards:

Spezza will start out on line 4 in the lineup card but will be quickly moved to line one with Alfie and Michalek
line two is Regin, Fisher, Kovalev - Gotta find a spot for Fisher as usual
line 3 Ruutu, Kelly, Neil - Can't break this line up.
Line 4 Foligno, Smith/Winchester, Shannon - They'll get more than 5 min a game. Shannon has to stay in based on his point production with limited ice time.

I think you're getting your pairings mixed up. Carkner has always played with Campoli, and Karlsson with Kuba (well, saying "always" is a stretch). Karlsson and Carkner are both right-hand-shots.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

What, exactly, has Campoli shown?

Kuba's game does not rely on speed or quickness, and he doesn't have to have timing for big hits. I think he's one of those players that can slot in and do pretty much everything they usually do.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Spezza starting on the 4th line? Madness Cap'n. We'll see how many minutes he gets tomorrow night... that will tell the tale.

Yeah, it's the minutes, really. Although I could see him playing with Shannon and Smith -- that would be an interesting line. He'd make up time on the PP but would still ease in slowly.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah... the D will surely be:

Phillips - Gonchar
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner
Lee/Hale

Hale will get sent down... unless Lee is no longer with us. Either of which I am fine with. Actually, I may prefer Hale as our 7th D-man. Yes.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Spezza starting on the 4th line? Madness Cap'n. We'll see how many minutes he gets tomorrow night... that will tell the tale.

Yeah, it's the minutes, really. Although I could see him playing with Shannon and Smith -- that would be an interesting line. He'd make up time on the PP but would still ease in slowly.

I would at least try it. Given his contract, he should be able to muster offence on his own, especially if the opposition has to focus on other lines (and if they don't, it'll alleviate defensive pressure on FKR and MFA). Get Smith to battle in the corners and go to the front of the net.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, here we are. Game Day and Spezza will play. Problem is, Michalek is out a week with tendinitis in that surgically repaired knee. Spezza looks like he will skate on the 2nd line with Kovalev and Regin. So who moves up to the top line with Fishredsson? I'd like to see Shannon be given a shot, but he's not going to go from 6 minutes to 15.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I suspect Foligno will get the call.

Regin - Spezza - Kovalev
Foligno - Fisher Alfredsson
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Shannon - Smith - Winchester

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The biggest question -- in my opinion, of course -- is whether we should call them Fisherdsson, Fishredsson (which I used above) or Alfredsher. The last one puts Alfie first, which is more appropriate but, unfortunately, it leaves the lease-recognizable part of Fisher's name.

We may need a poll Sarcasm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The biggest question -- in my opinion, of course -- is whether we should call them Fisherdsson, Fishredsson (which I used above) or Alfredsher. The last one puts Alfie first, which is more appropriate but, unfortunately, it leaves the lease-recognizable part of Fisher's name.

We may need a poll Sarcasm

Alfisherdsson. Nod

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum