GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kuba To be Back against the panthers...?

+10
LeCaptain
Urkie
Hoags
M_Christopher
The Silfer Server
wprager
shabbs
PTFlea
Tuk Tuk
Hockeyhero22000
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? Empty Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

as per http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=503589&navid=DL|OTT|home

Filip Kuba insists he can't inject some life into the Ottawa Senators' struggling power play all on his own.

But the return to the lineup of the veteran defenceman – who has been
sidelined since the season-opener with a nagging lower-body injury –
certainly can't do anything but help a specialty unit that is a mere
4-for-35 so far this season. That 11.4 per cent efficiency level ranks
29th among 30 National Hockey League teams.

No wonder, then, that head coach Cory Clouston spent a solid hour
working on power-play drills during Monday morning's team practice at
Scotiabank Place. Having Kuba working from the point surely brought a
smile to everyone's face, even if the Czech blueliner doesn't exactly
see him as a saviour of any sort in that area.

"I don't think it's about one guy playing
on the power play," said Kuba, who expects to be back in the lineup
when the Senators face off against the Florida Panthers in Sunrise,
Fla., on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN2, Team 1200). "It's the whole
unit. I just want to play hockey and it's been tough sitting out and
watching the game from the stands."

Still, Clouston believes Kuba can help jump-start the Ottawa power play.

"He'll make a big improvement, just as far as poise, confidence and
experience back there," he said. "(Kuba) doesn't have a booming shot,
but he's able to get the shot through for the most part. He's also very
intelligent as far as reading (the play).

"Just to be able to calm things down back there... I think he'll be important for that."

Clouston also had captain Daniel Alfredsson working from the point in an effort to make further gains in an area he believes has been a problem with the man advantage.

"Right now, we don't have a shot threat," said Clouston. "Guys are
squeezing their stick on the back end and it just becomes (a) bigger
and bigger (problem). When they do have an opportunity, they've duffed
shots and missed nets.

"It'll turn around. But Alfie has some experience on the back end and
he does have a very good shot back there. Hopefully, if he does (get
shots through), it'll open up some other things. Right now, teams
aren't too threatened by our point shots and we have to change that."

Alfredsson welcomes the opportunity to contribute in that area.

"I don't think it's about
one guy playing on the power play. It's the whole unit. I just want to
play hockey and it's been tough sitting out and watching the game from
the stands." - Filip Kuba

"We need to get something going and it could be a good change for us,"
he said. "I thought we were going in the right direction. Stats-wise,
it doesn't look great for us right now but in the last three games, I
think we scored a power-play goal in each of them and that was a good
sign.

"But the last game (Saturday's 4-3 shootout loss to the Boston Bruins) was not good for us at all."

Added centre Mike Fisher:
"We've got to be a little bit more patient, just make sure we're
getting pucks to the net. Just simplify things and not try to do too
much because we know (the power play) is struggling. We've just got to
stick to our strengths and we know it's just a matter of time. We know
it's going to come and it's going to get better."

Kuba just wants his absence from the lineup to end. His original
"day-to-day" diagnosis has stretched into eight games but he's
confident he'll be good to go Wednesday night in Florida.

"It was frustrating for sure. I didn't think it would take this long to
come back," said Kuba. "The season is starting for me all over again. I
played only one game and that's not enough to build the confidence.
I've just got to work on my game and try to get into game shape.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? 4943659

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? 805406 Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? 235689 Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? 226479 Kuba To be Back against the panthers...? 43150

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

"Right now, we don't have a shot threat," said Clouston. "Guys are
and bigger (problem). When they do have an opportunity, they've duffed shots and missed nets.

Uh...yeah we have 3 threats from the point:

1.Erik Karlsson
2.Chris Campoli
3.Alex Picard

Don't know what Clouston means there.

Im starting to think Clouston is more of a motivator then an actual coach. Pat Quinn like...

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:"Right now, we don't have a shot threat," said Clouston. "Guys are
and bigger (problem). When they do have an opportunity, they've duffed shots and missed nets.

1.Erik Karlsson
2.Chris Campoli
3.Alex Picard

But these guys havent been able to get a lot of shots through or on net as a good quality of shot that is what i think he means. Every once and a while they get some good ones through but not on a consistent enough basis. Hopefully with kuba in and maybe alfie on the point they get more and better shots through on a consistent basis

Anyways, it will be nice to see Karlsson with his REAL partner in Kuba. The only good thing to come out of this is the emergance of Picard/Carkner. No one saw that coming and they have both taking that ball and ran with it.

Campoli is the spare part IMO but he's on a one way deal, so we'll see what happens there. Kuba and Karlsson should get the go ahead though because Campoli has a tough enough time playing his right right let alone being moved to the other side.

Karlsson/Kuba have been the natural pairing since day 1 and still are. Who knew Picard and Carkner would be so effective.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
But these guys havent been able to get a lot of shots through or on net as a good quality of shot that is what i think he means. Every once and a while they get some good ones through but not on a consistent enough basis. Hopefully with kuba in and maybe alfie on the point they get more and better shots through on a consistent basis

True enough, but Karlsson hasn't really been given a fair opportunity on PP 1.

Karlsson has been stuck in a position where he has almost no chance to succeed and he has handled it very well and improved every game. Lets see how he looks with Kuba.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:"Right now, we don't have a shot threat," said Clouston. "Guys are

1.Erik Karlsson
2.Chris Campoli
3.Alex Picard

I think he's saying the guys on the backend are not doing what they should be doing, and thus are not a threat.

Well the two guys he wants to produce are playing together so WTF does he expect? One guy has to be more conservative and responsible thus it will effect their game, also, he expects a rookie to be playing with Campoli to really go out there and produce and be effective on both sides of the rink...?

Is Clouston this stupid? Really? Shannon was still on the point on the PP at practice too...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't understand why they even bother at all practicing the power play. Fisher says they ahve to be more patient. Whaaat? They need to drive the net and pile on the shots. Keep it simple. Get the dirty goals first and then the pretty ones will follow. Don't try to over-think it. Patience overall, yes, sure. It will get better -- we are not going to be 29th in the league with this lineup. But when we are on the power play itself, screw patience. Put guys in the crease and throw it on the net.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:Well the two guys he wants to produce are playing together so WTF does he expect? One guy has to be more conservative and responsible thus it will effect their game, also, he expects a rookie to be playing with Campoli to really go out there and produce and be effective on both sides of the rink...?

Is Clouston this stupid? Really? Shannon was still on the point on the PP at practice too...
He must see something or have some type of huge amount of faith that they will start to produce. I don't know.

Ya, well the PP sucks and I have yet to see a 30th place PP make the playoffs. That's on Clouston.

Im trying to resfuse to believe that Clouston is actually this dumb, but it's getting tougher and tougher.

N4L wrote:Im starting to think Clouston is more of a motivator then an actual coach. Pat Quinn like...

maybe, but Quinn did a hell of a lot with very little. He's already got Edmonton playing like a respectable team...

Clouston has also already shown that he is more than just a motivator. He can play the tacticians game too. Right now, though, he's busy trying to improve his players and improve his team. Like it or not, going with the best strategy isn't always the best strategy...thinking long-term often requires sacrificing the short-term.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum