GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonchar to Ottawa

+24
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Hoags
dennycrane
Devo
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
SensHulk
SDH89
shabbs
wprager
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Ev
asq2
SensGirl11
Sens4thecup
Riprock
PKC
PTFlea
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 20]

76Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Not on the decline??? He's 36. Are you trying to say that he'll be as good in 3 years as he is today? Name me even one player who doesn't decline after 36.

I'm saving this thread, because at some point, I'll be creating an "I TOLD YOU SO" thread when he becomes everyone's new whipping boy.

Lidstrom. He got better. Gonchar's hockey IQ is through the roof. I'm not saying he'll stay on his 0.85 PPG pace or whatever it is, but he'll be lethal until the day his contract ends. Unless he gets hurt, then we'll have to put him on the long term IR, but he won't retire - and he won't decline the way you think he will.

This is elite talent. Where Alfie 'declines' he's still better than most forwards out there.

Some would argue that Alfie has got better as well. Does not score as much but all around I think he's better.

77Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Michallica wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Devo wrote:Yeah, because our PP was so great last year that we don't need help

Exactly. 3 years and NTC is scary but who cares? Cap will clear alot for us after next season. Might as well go all balls in this season.

Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

We are not a Stanley Cup contender and anyone who says that is kidding themselves. We don't even have a full top line for God sakes. We have two first line players: One is 37 and the other is the town whipping boy.

I don't know dude. What happened to Washington and Pittsburgh? a 2nd round playoff exit is still an improvement over what we had last season right? If YOU think that Z. Michalek would have made us an instant stanley cup contender then you're the one who's wrong. Matter of fact, with our cap space and depth, a series of many moves would be required to make us a stanley cup contender. Again, glass half full. this IMPROVES the team. That's every GM's goal. Looking at how the Eastern Conference played out this past season, you never know.

I'm happy. RocknRoll

I'm not going to argue this with everyone, because it seems that I am the only one who gives a Dung about anything beyond the PP. Yes, that improves, but the quality of our defense goes way down, unless Murray has something else in mind (which I can't see, save for a trade).

Where did I suggest that Z. Michalek makes us a contender? In fact, What I said was, we are categorically NOT a Cup contender, so do me the courtesy of not putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

78Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:WOAH WOAH WOAH, WAIT A MINUTE

Will Gonchar be taking Brian Lee's #55?!?!?!

who?

79Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

BTW, seeya Anton.

Murray wasn't kidding last week when he said if he didn't resign A-Train that he'd be going offense.

80Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

So if we're not a contender why not bring a guy in to show the likes of Karlsson, Wiercioch, Rundblad all how to play and be a PP QB?

He'll give them the lessons they never could get here on getting the puck out of our end and up to the forwards quickly to allow them to attack.

And, he makes Pittsburgh worse than they were last year because he's not there.

There is no denying that they are a worse team now than they were last year, even if they sign Michalek they are still worse.

81Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:04 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Michallica wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Devo wrote:Yeah, because our PP was so great last year that we don't need help

Exactly. 3 years and NTC is scary but who cares? Cap will clear alot for us after next season. Might as well go all balls in this season.

Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

We are not a Stanley Cup contender and anyone who says that is kidding themselves. We don't even have a full top line for God sakes. We have two first line players: One is 37 and the other is the town whipping boy.

I don't know dude. What happened to Washington and Pittsburgh? a 2nd round playoff exit is still an improvement over what we had last season right? If YOU think that Z. Michalek would have made us an instant stanley cup contender then you're the one who's wrong. Matter of fact, with our cap space and depth, a series of many moves would be required to make us a stanley cup contender. Again, glass half full. this IMPROVES the team. That's every GM's goal. Looking at how the Eastern Conference played out this past season, you never know.

I'm happy. RocknRoll

I'm not going to argue this with everyone, because it seems that I am the only one who gives a Dung about anything beyond the PP. Yes, that improves, but the quality of our defense goes way down, unless Murray has something else in mind (which I can't see, save for a trade).

Where did I suggest that Z. Michalek makes us a contender? In fact, What I said was, we are categorically NOT a Cup contender, so do me the courtesy of not putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

Okay I'm not suggesting you said that. But what I am saying is that whether we signed Michalek or Gonchar, it wouldn't make us a stanley cup contender, referring to how you preferred Michalek over Gonchar and that's fair. But we also got some young d-men up and coming in the next few seasons. Obviously Carkner is not going to be around in the long term. We replace Kuba as well in the next few seasons, and we replace with Cowen, Weircioch, Rudblad. Take it easy man. Who knows how the signing will go? And the day is not done yet....maybe Michalek magically ends up in Ottawa still Nod

82Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:04 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Unless he's a magician and can turn one of our 12 2nd/3rd line guys into a top line player, we are STILL lacking a top liner for Spezza and Alfie.

I'm not debating his offensive skill, it's his age, defensive prowess, length and term of this stupid contract that have me shaking my head.

Yeah, Kovalev. This changes EVERYTHING Hemlock. Don't be stubborn now, this changes the dynamics of the Sens for the better. Smile

You're hanging your hat on Kovalev?

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to this. Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 805406

83Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:04 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:BTW, seeya Anton.

Murray wasn't kidding last week when he said if he didn't resign A-Train that he'd be going offense.

It's gonna be such a relief to see a team of defenseman who think pass first and not banking the puck off the glass every time it comes near them.

Volchenkov handles that puck like it's a grenade.

84Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If I'm Melnyk, Gonchar > Michalek at least for the next 3 years because he's more exciting and his NAME alone will bring more people into the seats.

Next year when Leclaire and Kovalev and Cheechoo's buyout are off the books, you bring in Cowen and Wiercioch and possibly Rundblad, and you have a TON of money to sign some forwards.

85Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why is anyone arguing this signing? Who was the last 50 point defenseman this team had? And how did the team fare back then?

86Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Well we need an elite PMD to teach Karlsson, Wierchioch and Rundblad the ropes so it's exactly what we need.

Gonchar wants to play in Soichi so he's not retiring. Barring injuries he should be good and our PP will no longer be the joke it was last year.

The TSN guys were saying this might get Kovalev going as well.

All in all there's some risk, some overpayment but it's what we needed.

87Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:If I'm Melnyk, Gonchar > Michalek at least for the next 3 years because he's more exciting and his NAME alone will bring more people into the seats.

Next year when Leclaire and Kovalev and Cheechoo's buyout are off the books, you bring in Cowen and Wiercioch and possibly Rundblad, and you have a TON of money to sign some forwards.

I can live without Michalek now. This was the only way I could. Perfect. I'm very pleased right now.

Now we have some trades to do.

88Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Cheechoo's buyout would only be off our cap after next season.

89Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Oh yeah. This is also a sexier move and will drive up the season ticket sales. Again, the cap hit hurts and so does the NTC. But, its freakin' Gonchar. First time ever Ottawa has made such a significant move on Free agency day. Good job all around for Murray and staff.

90Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Devo wrote:And if you're wrong...

How does Michalek make us better. We struggled gettig the puck out of our end and up to the forwards. Getting a guy who can help move the puck out of the zone and attack with speed is not only needed on this team, but essential. PP was horrible last year he helps there. Mix him with Philips and there is your defense.

You'll never be happy.

Uh, yeah, I would have been happy if we didn't drop the equivalent of the GDP of most African nations on a guy who's a geriatric in sports years, and give him a NTC as well.

Just throw him in there with Phillips and the problem is solved? Just that easy right?

I'm not debating his offensive skill, or the fact that he can move the puck. I am also not debating that this is a good move for bringing the kids along. However, like I said, this move is Too old, too long, too expensive.

I've said my peace. I'm not interested in arguing with a dozen people who are obviously too excited to look at this from all the angles.

You people make it sound like we landed Drew Doughty or something.....

I'll be just as happy you all are now if Gonchar forces me to eat my words, which I'll gladly do, but if I am a betting man, I'd say he won't.

91Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

It's pretty obvious that we weren't going to rebuild, so this signing was IMO one of the best alternatives. If Gonchar was signed in Pittsburgh for this money and we had traded Karlsson/Regin+ for him, I'd be pissed. But I think the worst-case scenario is that our 1st round pick is not as good (not that it'd be great anyway, we weren't going to land in the top-14 IMO and 2011 is very shallow) and maybe we have to live with a bad contract for a year. But we survived with Redden's $6.5 million for two.

Our powerplay will get better, our forwards will have considerably more support from the back-end, and Karlsson and our other young PMDs will get better. There are positives here.

92Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Love how Cussing dumb people are.

Martin St. Louis signs for nearly the same money and term given age and everyone says great Cussing signing.

Gonchar? People start pissing and moaning.

93Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

It's pretty obvious that we weren't going to rebuild, so this signing was IMO one of the best alternatives. If Gonchar was signed in Pittsburgh for this money and we had traded Karlsson/Regin+ for him, I'd be pissed. But I think the worst-case scenario is that our 1st round pick is not as good (not that it'd be great anyway, we weren't going to land in the top-14 IMO and 2011 is very shallow) and maybe we have to live with a bad contract for a year. But we survived with Redden's $6.5 million for two.

Our powerplay will get better, our forwards will have considerably more support from the back-end, and Karlsson and our other young PMDs will get better. There are positives here.

Again, I am not debating that. But there are negatives as well, and it seems that I'm the only one willing to talk about them.

I'm done. I'm just not interested in taking on a lynch mob for my opinion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum