GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonchar to Ottawa

+24
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Hoags
dennycrane
Devo
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
SensHulk
SDH89
shabbs
wprager
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Ev
asq2
SensGirl11
Sens4thecup
Riprock
PKC
PTFlea
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 20]

61Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Can't please some people. For 3 years everyone here has been screaming for a PMD. Well we got the best available.

62Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:16.5 million dollars for a 36 year old on the decline.

50 points in 62 games last season. 12 points in 13 games in the playoffs and he was playing hurt.

It's not like we just signed Lidstrom, but I think it's a good, albeit risky, move.

On the Penguins, not the Sens. The Pens have two guys upfront that no-one on the Sens even touches, and that includes Alfie, as much as it pains me to say that.

63Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

hemlock wrote:
Devo wrote:Yeah, because our PP was so great last year that we don't need help

Would you rather be better for 12 minutes a game or 60?

Losing Sutton and Volchie, and bringing in Gonchar does nothing to help us defensively. Not a damn thing.

So who do you sign?

You're making an assumption that Michalek wanted to come here and would. Would you pay him 4 million for 4 years or more with NTC? I believe that's what it would take.

Oh and yes I want to get better 12 minutes a game. Special teams wins games, and if you can score on the PP you can win and go far in the playoffs.

64Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:54 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:This is exactly what I wantef. Why sign 2 guys at 3M each when you can get the best guy out there for 5M+.

Your logic is flawed in that you are thinking he's the best guy available. Offensively, sure, but how does Murray not look at Michalek, who's entering his prime and is a much much better all around player than Gonchar.
Yay! We get better for what? 10-12 minutes a game on the PP? Garbage.

Lol your obsession with age is mind boggljng. If you think therr was a better d out there I am not gonna waste my Time arguing

65Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:Can't please some people. For 3 years everyone here has been screaming for a PMD. Well we got the best available.

Again, best move ever for Ottawa. He'll make guys like Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev, Regin - he'll make them all excited to play again. The awesomeness of his offensive prowess is lost on a couple of people here - he's a monster who'll make the Sens' forwards a HELL of a lot better.

Our FORWARDS are better because of Gonchar, do people realize that? It's a Cussing coup. Murray got the guy he needed to get.

66Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:One of the best signings in the history of this franchise - and I mean that. He's filthy offensively, will QB the PP with Karlsson, will teach Karlsson, Wiercioch, Runblad the ins and outs, is not great defensively, but is not as bad as some are saying. He's a winner, he's NOT retiring, he's not on the decline - with the exception of injuries.

We have all the cap space in the world next season - and Gonchar's like adding a 2nd line forward.

Best move in a long, long, long time. Again, maybe ever.

Not on the decline??? He's 36. Are you trying to say that he'll be as good in 3 years as he is today? Name me even one player who doesn't decline after 36.

I'm saving this thread, because at some point, I'll be creating an "I TOLD YOU SO" thread when he becomes everyone's new whipping boy.

67Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I like him, but this is definitely overpayment for a guy that has been healthy enough to play 87 regular season games over the last 2 years.

This is as much a business decision to sell more tickets as it is a hockey decision.

As far as guys like Cullen and Sutton, those players are always available later in the summer for cheap, or at the deadline.

68Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Exactly. 3 years and NTC is scary but who cares? Cap will clear alot for us after next season. Might as well go all balls in this season.

Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

We are not a Stanley Cup contender and anyone who says that is kidding themselves. We don't even have a full top line for God sakes. We have two first line players: One is 37 and the other is the town whipping boy.

I don't know dude. What happened to Washington and Pittsburgh? a 2nd round playoff exit is still an improvement over what we had last season right? If YOU think that Z. Michalek would have made us an instant stanley cup contender then you're the one who's wrong. Matter of fact, with our cap space and depth, a series of many moves would be required to make us a stanley cup contender. Again, glass half full. this IMPROVES the team. That's every GM's goal. Looking at how the Eastern Conference played out this past season, you never know.

I'm happy. RocknRoll

69Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:Can't please some people. For 3 years everyone here has been screaming for a PMD. Well we got the best available.

Again, best move ever for Ottawa. He'll make guys like Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev, Regin - he'll make them all excited to play again. The awesomeness of his offensive prowess is lost on a couple of people here - he's a monster who'll make the Sens' forwards a HELL of a lot better.

Our FORWARDS are better because of Gonchar, do people realize that? It's a Cussing coup. Murray got the guy he needed to get.

Unless he's a magician and can turn one of our 12 2nd/3rd line guys into a top line player, we are STILL lacking a top liner for Spezza and Alfie.

I'm not debating his offensive skill, it's his age, defensive prowess, length and term of this stupid contract that have me shaking my head.

70Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Not on the decline??? He's 36. Are you trying to say that he'll be as good in 3 years as he is today? Name me even one player who doesn't decline after 36.

I'm saving this thread, because at some point, I'll be creating an "I TOLD YOU SO" thread when he becomes everyone's new whipping boy.

Lidstrom. He got better. Gonchar's hockey IQ is through the roof. I'm not saying he'll stay on his 0.85 PPG pace or whatever it is, but he'll be lethal until the day his contract ends. Unless he gets hurt, then we'll have to put him on the long term IR, but he won't retire - and he won't decline the way you think he will.

This is elite talent. Where Alfie 'declines' he's still better than most forwards out there.

71Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

And if you're wrong...

How does Michalek make us better. We struggled gettig the puck out of our end and up to the forwards. Getting a guy who can help move the puck out of the zone and attack with speed is not only needed on this team, but essential. PP was horrible last year he helps there. Mix him with Philips and there is your defense.

You'll never be happy.

72Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Unless he's a magician and can turn one of our 12 2nd/3rd line guys into a top line player, we are STILL lacking a top liner for Spezza and Alfie.

I'm not debating his offensive skill, it's his age, defensive prowess, length and term of this stupid contract that have me shaking my head.

Yeah, Kovalev. This changes EVERYTHING Hemlock. Don't be stubborn now, this changes the dynamics of the Sens for the better. Smile

73Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

WOAH WOAH WOAH, WAIT A MINUTE

Will Gonchar be taking Brian Lee's #55?!?!?!

74Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:WOAH WOAH WOAH, WAIT A MINUTE

Thank God.

75Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 805406

76Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Lidstrom. He got better. Gonchar's hockey IQ is through the roof. I'm not saying he'll stay on his 0.85 PPG pace or whatever it is, but he'll be lethal until the day his contract ends. Unless he gets hurt, then we'll have to put him on the long term IR, but he won't retire - and he won't decline the way you think he will.

This is elite talent. Where Alfie 'declines' he's still better than most forwards out there.

Some would argue that Alfie has got better as well. Does not score as much but all around I think he's better.

77Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Michallica wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Exactly. 3 years and NTC is scary but who cares? Cap will clear alot for us after next season. Might as well go all balls in this season.

Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

We are not a Stanley Cup contender and anyone who says that is kidding themselves. We don't even have a full top line for God sakes. We have two first line players: One is 37 and the other is the town whipping boy.

I don't know dude. What happened to Washington and Pittsburgh? a 2nd round playoff exit is still an improvement over what we had last season right? If YOU think that Z. Michalek would have made us an instant stanley cup contender then you're the one who's wrong. Matter of fact, with our cap space and depth, a series of many moves would be required to make us a stanley cup contender. Again, glass half full. this IMPROVES the team. That's every GM's goal. Looking at how the Eastern Conference played out this past season, you never know.

I'm happy. RocknRoll

I'm not going to argue this with everyone, because it seems that I am the only one who gives a Dung about anything beyond the PP. Yes, that improves, but the quality of our defense goes way down, unless Murray has something else in mind (which I can't see, save for a trade).

Where did I suggest that Z. Michalek makes us a contender? In fact, What I said was, we are categorically NOT a Cup contender, so do me the courtesy of not putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

78Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

who?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum