GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonchar to Ottawa

+24
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Hoags
dennycrane
Devo
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
SensHulk
SDH89
shabbs
wprager
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Ev
asq2
SensGirl11
Sens4thecup
Riprock
PKC
PTFlea
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 20]

46Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:40 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Yup, I don't think there's any need for Cullen now with Gonchar's slapper available. haha man I'm glad I was leaning towards landing gonch more than michalek. THis is super exciting.

I think this takes us out of the running for Michalek though unless there's actually a market for Kuba

47Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Someone please tell me this is a Cussing joke.

Why are you people happy about this?

16.5 million dollars for a 36 year old on the decline. With a NTC no less? I'm glad I don't live in Ottawa and attend games, that way I won't have to see him and Kovalev alternating taking nights off.

Our PP got better today, and our defence got worse.

Remember how happy you were today, because it won't last, especially when you get to see Gonchar's defense.

Brutal. Too much, too old, too long. Worse part is it probably means we are missing out on a right-handed, shot blocking machine with offensive upside entering his prime in Z. Michalek. I would have preferred to overpay Michalek with this money, every day of the week.

EDIT: I guess we'll have a new whipping boy, once Spezza is moved. Unless Murray finds a way to Cuss that up too.

48Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Two things I love about this move:
1- What a role model for Karlsson to learn from.
2- A fellow Russian to wake Kovalev up

I guess this means there's that much less room on that blue line now.
Phillips-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Lee

If any one of Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba make it then Murray has to move Lee, Campoli (I'd rather one of the others be the 7th than Lee)

So that still leaves room to trade for a forward.

49Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 pm

marakh wrote:This is exactly what I wantef. Why sign 2 guys at 3M each when you can get the best guy out there for 5M+.

Your logic is flawed in that you are thinking he's the best guy available. Offensively, sure, but how does Murray not look at Michalek, who's entering his prime and is a much much better all around player than Gonchar.

Yay! We get better for what? 10-12 minutes a game on the PP? Garbage.

50Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 pm

wprager wrote:Two things I love about this move:
1- What a role model for Karlsson to learn from.
2- A fellow Russian to wake Kovalev up

I guess this means there's that much less room on that blue line now.
Phillips-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Lee

If any one of Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba make it then Murray has to move Lee, Campoli (I'd rather one of the others be the 7th than Lee)

So that still leaves room to trade for a forward.

Sure, as long as he doesn't teach the Travis Moen Ole move.

51Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Yeah, because our PP was so great last year that we don't need help

52Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Someone please tell me this is a Cussing joke.

Why are you people happy about this?

16.5 million dollars for a 36 year old on the decline. With a NTC no less? I'm glad I don't live in Ottawa and attend games, that way I won't have to see him and Kovalev alternating taking nights off.

Our PP got better today, and our defence got worse.

Remember how happy you were today, because it won't last, especially when you get to see Gonchar's defense.

Brutal. Too much, too old, too long. Worse part is it probably means we are missing out on a right-handed, shot blocking machine with offensive upside entering his prime in Z. Michalek. I would have preferred to overpay Michalek with this money, every day of the week.

EDIT: I guess we'll have a new whipping boy, once Spezza is moved. Unless Murray finds a way to Cuss that up too.

What's not to be happy? This takes our team in a new direction, and I'm glad. Our Defence sucked noodles the last two seasons with plenty of defensive d-men blocking shots. and 50 pts in 62 games with a sick outlet pass? Mentor for Karlsson? This is what Karlsson will be in the next few years. Granted he's old and will naturally decline, but you're clearly not wanting to take a look at the glass being half full.

Oh and our defence sucked the last two years. Did I mention that? its why Karlsson and Campoli were forced onto the team.

53Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

You know what's great, he's gonna mentor the kids, and when the karlssons and cowens etc will re sign his cap hit is off the books. The timing is as perfect as you can get.

54Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:This is exactly what I wantef. Why sign 2 guys at 3M each when you can get the best guy out there for 5M+.

Your logic is flawed in that you are thinking he's the best guy available. Offensively, sure, but how does Murray not look at Michalek, who's entering his prime and is a much much better all around player than Gonchar.

How do you know he didn't or isn't.

55Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Devo wrote:Yeah, because our PP was so great last year that we don't need help

Would you rather be better for 12 minutes a game or 60?

Losing Sutton and Volchie, and bringing in Gonchar does nothing to help us defensively. Not a damn thing.

56Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:16.5 million dollars for a 36 year old on the decline.

50 points in 62 games last season. 12 points in 13 games in the playoffs and he was playing hurt.

It's not like we just signed Lidstrom, but I think it's a good, albeit risky, move.

57Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Exactly. 3 years and NTC is scary but who cares? Cap will clear alot for us after next season. Might as well go all balls in this season.

58Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock wrote:

How do you know he didn't or isn't.

Well, he blew his wad on Gonchar in 10 minutes flat. Logic dictates that Michalek will be heading elsewhere. Otherwise he has to clear space for him, which may or may not happen.

59Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Michallica wrote:

Exactly. 3 years and NTC is scary but who cares? Cap will clear alot for us after next season. Might as well go all balls in this season.

Why? To get into Round 2 of the playoffs?

We are not a Stanley Cup contender and anyone who says that is kidding themselves. We don't even have a full top line for God sakes. We have two first line players: One is 37 and the other is the town whipping boy.

60Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

One of the best signings in the history of this franchise - and I mean that. He's filthy offensively, will QB the PP with Karlsson, will teach Karlsson, Wiercioch, Runblad the ins and outs, is not great defensively, but is not as bad as some are saying. He's a winner, he's NOT retiring, he's not on the decline - with the exception of injuries.

We have all the cap space in the world next season - and Gonchar's like adding a 2nd line forward.

Best move in a long, long, long time. Again, maybe ever.

61Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Can't please some people. For 3 years everyone here has been screaming for a PMD. Well we got the best available.

62Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:16.5 million dollars for a 36 year old on the decline.

50 points in 62 games last season. 12 points in 13 games in the playoffs and he was playing hurt.

It's not like we just signed Lidstrom, but I think it's a good, albeit risky, move.

On the Penguins, not the Sens. The Pens have two guys upfront that no-one on the Sens even touches, and that includes Alfie, as much as it pains me to say that.

63Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

hemlock wrote:

Would you rather be better for 12 minutes a game or 60?

Losing Sutton and Volchie, and bringing in Gonchar does nothing to help us defensively. Not a damn thing.

So who do you sign?

You're making an assumption that Michalek wanted to come here and would. Would you pay him 4 million for 4 years or more with NTC? I believe that's what it would take.

Oh and yes I want to get better 12 minutes a game. Special teams wins games, and if you can score on the PP you can win and go far in the playoffs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum