GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers sucks; Bell sucks; which one sucks less?

+14
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
Hoags
Devo
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Flo The Action
wprager
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 20]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm on Carp road and I have one of those mammoth bastards shooting straight up the side of my house and above the roof.
Mammoth bastards?  You mean a mast-mounted antenna or are you talking about a dish?
I was talking about the antenna but to be honest I also have a giant free standing Dish sitting amongst the trees doing nothing.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

I have Teksaavy's 30$/month 8gb internet with 150GB max usage, NHL Game Center and Netflix. That's enough TV for me and that's less than $50 a month.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:I have Teksaavy's 30$/month 8gb internet with 150GB max usage, NHL Game Center and Netflix. That's enough TV for me and that's less than $50 a month.
I've got 4 kids -- two of them have iPods, 2 of them have Acers tablets, all with Netflix/Youtube/etc. Also Netflix on the PS3 and LG TV54. Before Netflix out internet usage was 8-12 GB. Switching to Netflix (lowest quality settings) I started paying for extra downloads (on an 80 GB plan). After switching to unlimited I changed the PQ settings to best and last time I checked we were at 335 GB with a couple days to go in the billing period.

So, sure, I could make do with 150, but if I wanted better PQ from Netflix that simple wouldn't be enough.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There are cheap unlimited plans available through TekSavvy, but I'm tired of telling you how to get better service.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:There are cheap unlimited plans available through TekSavvy, but I'm tired of telling you how to get better service.
Point is TekSavvy would not be enough. I'd still need content from Rogers or Bell. Netflix is nice for the kids but for us we have watched almost all the shows we wanted to watch during the summer and early fall. Right now we've got a few shows on the go and none of them are on Netflix (yet). If they ever come up with a (reasonably priced) service where I can get all the latest shows on demand then I'd look at that, but for now I *need* a PVR and a service. Currently I'm with Rogers waiting for my contract to end and Fibe to arrive (may already be there). It's very like;y that 2 years after switching I'll do so again.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You're assuming that you're better off with a bundle.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:There are cheap unlimited plans available through TekSavvy, but I'm tired of telling you how to get better service.
Point is TekSavvy would not be enough.  I'd still need content from Rogers or Bell.  Netflix is nice for the kids but for us we have watched almost all the shows we wanted to watch during the summer and early fall.  Right now we've got a few shows on the go and none of them are on Netflix (yet).  If they ever come up with a (reasonably priced) service where I can get all the latest shows on demand then I'd look at that, but for now I *need* a PVR and a service.  Currently I'm with Rogers waiting for my contract to end and Fibe to arrive (may already be there).  It's very like;y that 2 years after switching I'll do so again.
With a US DNS you can stream all sorts of american shows and most smart tvs allow you to connect your laptop via WIFI so there's really no need for PVR or Bell or Cable IMO

- Unknown Author

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Point is TekSavvy would not be enough.  I'd still need content from Rogers or Bell.  Netflix is nice for the kids but for us we have watched almost all the shows we wanted to watch during the summer and early fall.  Right now we've got a few shows on the go and none of them are on Netflix (yet).  If they ever come up with a (reasonably priced) service where I can get all the latest shows on demand then I'd look at that, but for now I *need* a PVR and a service.  Currently I'm with Rogers waiting for my contract to end and Fibe to arrive (may already be there).  It's very like;y that 2 years after switching I'll do so again.
With a US DNS you can stream all sorts of american shows and most smart tvs allow you to connect your laptop via WIFI so there's really no need for PVR or Bell or Cable IMO
Pretty much. The Prager knows the answer but chooses not to accept it Sarcasm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Pretty much. The Prager knows the answer but chooses not to accept it Sarcasm
I have a US DNS (free one, too). Streaming from my laptop to the TV is not likely to happen any time soon. This google thingie (chrome cast?) looks somewhat promising though. But I have certain members of the family that have enough problems with the PVR; using a laptop to stream video from the internet to the TV would likely have a learning curve steeper than the ticket increases we'll be seeing next year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone explain Bell mobile plan pricing? Comparing three plans: Voice&Data Lite Promo 70, Voice&Data Plus Promo 80, Personal Shareable Plus + 1GB:

http://mobility.costco.ca/en/on/mobile-phone-plans/compare/?plan[0]=5375|700&plan[1]=5625|700&plan[2]=4870|700

So, first of all, I see absolutely no difference between the $70 and $80 plans, other than you save $10 if you bring your own phone with the $70 plan, and $20 for the $80 plan.

On the $85, which I was interested in, initially, because I thought it was an actual sharing plan, the "sharing" is with a tablet or a "mobile internet device". It's not like you can get two cell phones and share something (my wife has a plan with Bell so I was wondering if I could add a second phone, somehow, for less).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just set up a hot-spot with your phone and then just use WiFi on your tablet? For the $15 more that you'd pay for that plan over the $70 plan you get a half a gig less data (1GB for the $85 and 1.5 for the $70), pay more for additional data ($15 per GB vs. 5 cents/MB -- works out to $51.20 per GB) and you get unlimited NA minutes vs. 300.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What a rip off. Am I wrong? They say they have "tablet plans starting from $5" *OR* for $10 you can share your data with your tablet. Can't I share it for free by setting up a WiFi hot spot? I can do that on the corporate BB no problem.

Also, apparently included in the plan is:
Unlimited access to Canada's largest Wi-Fi network, including participating McDonald's®, Tim Hortons®, Indigo® and Chapters® locations

And here I was thinking that free WiFi at McD's and Timmy's and Chapters is actually free for anyone with a WiFi enabled device.

Can they really write that and get away with it?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Screw both of them. I'm with Koodo for $45 1GB now...probably will switch to $35 500MB

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Screw both of them. I'm with Koodo for $45 1GB now...probably will switch to $35 500MB

Koodo is the only phone company I haven't had trouble with. I've been with them a year, give or take, so that's a pretty significant sample size.  I had headaches with Telus and Rogers from the get-go. I had enough trouble with Bell TV and internet to discourage me from ever getting a mobile phone from them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You don't really save all that much. The difference between the Bell $70 plan and Koodo's $45 is $25/month. For a phone like the Note 4, at Bell, you spend $300 up-front and then $600 over the 24 month period (the $25 more per month). Koodoo makes you pay $450 up-front and then $360 on your tab over 24 months. So you end up saving $90 over the 2 years but have to pay $150 more up-front.

And if I get it now from Costco I get $100 back in Costco cash so it's basically a wash.

Actually the Bell $70 plan is 1.5GB and Koodoo's $45 is only $1GB. Now, if you say you are switching from 1GB to 500MB then, of course that extra half gig is unnecessary, but with my BB (corporate plan is 1GB but it's pooled) I've often gone over 1GB.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Or you bring your own phone like I did.

If I was buying a new phone I would probably go on the rogers corporate plan at work to get 2gb for $60 and the galaxh s6 for like $250

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why is it that our corporate plan is $80/month for 1 GB? I don't ever want to pay that much.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wireless plans in Canada are a Cussing farce, and I say this as someone that is about to go drop way over $1000 tomorrow for two phones and sign up for a sharing plan with Bell.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

All I know is I know what I'm paying every month with Koodo. Not so much when i was with Telus or Rogers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum