GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Switching from Rogers to TekSavvy for internet access or Bell FibeTV

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, my contract with Rogers expires in January.  I'm paying $51.99 for Express plus $7 for the modem, plus $2/GB if I go over 80GB.  

TekSavvy "Cable 18" gets me up to 18 Mbps (I think officially I get "up to 25" now with Rogers but who are we kidding, right?) for $39.95/month.  The upload isn't great (512 Mbps versus Rogers' alleged 2 Mbps) but I think I'd be OK.

Now the extras.  They charge $65 for cable service activation and $65 for "Cable move fee".  Anyone know what the second fee is for?  And do they periodically run specials where they waive any of these fees?

Modem is $99, but you can also get your own from a list of compatible ones.  I remember looking into this a while back and you can do a little better on e-bay or some other places.

Has anyone else done this?  What's your experience been?  

Also, if I end up switching to Fibe TV in January, does Bell offer just TV services?  I can probably have the best of both worlds by having cable internet with TekSavvy and Fibe TV with Bell.  No problems with download speeds being pinched by TV watching or vice versa.

Last edited by wprager on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I installed Teksavvy in my appartment last september (in Montreal)
I only paid 75$ of activation fee, plus the cost of the modem (I didn't have one)
I have no idea what your second fee is, maybe you should just ask?

Anyway, as far as the internet go, I pa 29.99 a month for 8gb of speed and 150Gb of data. Never had any problem in 10 months.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's 18 Mbps...Megabits per second.

You get unlimited usage between 2am and 8am, and 300GB the rest of the time. Rogers ain't giving you that.

I haven't done TekSavvy cable, I've done DSL, so that doesn't help you. I recommend you actually call them. Their call-centre is in Toronto, and you will get actual, real advice, and not have someone run through a checklist of questions with you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:That's 18 Mbps...Megabits per second.

You get unlimited usage between 2am and 8am, and 300GB the rest of the time.  Rogers ain't giving you that.

I haven't done TekSavvy cable, I've done DSL, so that doesn't help you. I recommend you actually call them.  Their call-centre is in Toronto, and you will get actual, real advice, and not have someone run through a checklist of questions with you.

Sorry, fixed.

I thought it was 300GB total (which would be totally fine, given as I don't think I've ever gone over 100).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just found out that with Bell you must have Fibe Internet in order to get Fibe TV. So unless the "chat" rep was wrong (entirely possible) I would not be able to use TekSavvy for internet and Bell Fibe TV.

So, some more quick questions for any of you who have Fibe TV in Ottawa.

- is there a list of channels included in the "better" package available online?
- is SportsNet HD included?
- the 25/10 internet package includes 100 GB and I would want to add $10 for unlimited (so I can set my Neflix up for the better PQ); has anyone been able to negotiate unlimited for free (since I wanted to use TekSavvy and their 300 GB cap)?
- I don't have any use for 5 free features on the home and didn't really want to pay $10 extra for unlimited Canada/US, but I could use 100 minutes Canada/US LD -- any wiggle room there?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum