GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burke says a hug'll do ya

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Burke says a hug'll do ya Empty Burke says a hug'll do ya Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=316352

Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager Brian Burke is convinced a good hug may go a long way to curbing a constant safety issue in the NHL - hitting from behind.

Burke is lobbying the league to allow what he calls a "bear hug," where a player, usually a defenseman, is allowed to wrap his arms around the targeted player, for a fleeting moment, while he takes him into the boards.

Burke says this change would avoid the "billiard-ball" force hits that exist now where all of the force is transferred directly from the "hitter" to the "hittee."

Interesting idea, but it means you would have to "hug" (otherwise known as "holding") a player way before it became too late to even slow down. Players would definitely use that to re-introduce holding. I don't think this will work.

2Burke says a hug'll do ya Empty Re: Burke says a hug'll do ya Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:18 pm

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=316352

Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager Brian Burke is convinced a good hug may go a long way to curbing a constant safety issue in the NHL - hitting from behind.

Burke is lobbying the league to allow what he calls a "bear hug," where a player, usually a defenseman, is allowed to wrap his arms around the targeted player, for a fleeting moment, while he takes him into the boards.

Burke says this change would avoid the "billiard-ball" force hits that exist now where all of the force is transferred directly from the "hitter" to the "hittee."

Interesting idea, but it means you would have to "hug" (otherwise known as "holding") a player way before it became too late to even slow down. Players would definitely use that to re-introduce holding. I don't think this will work.
ya i agree, it would also open up a lot of penalties calls if the player holds on to the other for to long, i.e delay of game ? holding ?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum