GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010

+21
Hockeyhero22000
Devo
PKC
caissie_1
stempniaksen
Riprock
The Silfer Server
garblar
SDH89
PTFlea
SensGirl11
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
dennycrane
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
sens4win
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
25 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Ottawa @ Montreal, March 22, 2010

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_lcap222%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_lcap244%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_rcap2 44% [ 4 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_lcap222%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_lcap211%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 20]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010.

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 LargeGAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 AtGAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Large

Bad HABits are hard to break

Ottawa (37-30-5, 79 pts, barely 2nd in the North East and 6th in the Eastern Conference) visit the Habs (36-29-7, 79 pts, 7th in the Eastern Conference) Monday night. The Sens are now mired in a season-worst-tying 5 game losing streak. The good news is that they have scored 7 goals in the last 2 games, after scoring only 5 goals in their previous 6 losses. All while missing their top goal-scorer, Michalek, to the dreaded lower body injury. An optimistic way to look at this is to say that they are losing games they should be winning, which could signal the end of the losing streak. The Sens' power-play is also showing signs of life, with 2 goals against a solid defensive team. The bad news is that a lack of clutch goaltending ruined a great outing by Jason Spezza, who scored a third career hat-trick while adding an assist on the Fisher goal. A lot of the goals scored on Leclaire looked unstoppable, but the simple truth is that he often either over-committed (perhaps, cheating) or was too hesitant and deep in his crease. A good example was the eventual winning goal -- a perfect shot in the top corner; if Leclaire was out a foot more the shooter would not have had an angle.

Read the full recap of the game here.

The Canadiens lost in a shoot-out to the Leafs on HNIC to lose their 6 game winning streak, but the loser point puts them in a virtual tie with the Sens. Both teams have played 72 games, with Ottawa ahead because of having one more win. You can be sure that the Habs will be gunning for two points. Montreal has been hot lately, riding some excellent goaltending from Jaroslav Halak. With Gainey out of the picture, it now appears that Price's term with Montreal is coming to an end. Rumour has it that Philly will pursue him in the off-season. Maybe they should concentrate their efforts on better scouting.

Game Coverage
TV: RDS (HD),SNET-E

Radio: Team 1200
Web: check ATDHE.net and Justin.tv

Latest updates:
Filip Kuba was a late, late scratch on Saturday.
Milan Michalek appears to not be ready yet, as Zach Smith has been called up from Bingo. However, the way some forwards have been playing, Smith could easily be replacing someone else, even if Michalek is ready to go Monday night - Z. Smith is replacing Ryan Shannon.
Cammalleri and Bergeron could both return to the lineup on Monday - Both are only scheduled to see the doctor on Tuesday so they're not expected to play.

Lineups

Ottawa
    Montreal

Ottawa Key Injuries

Milan Michalek (leg, more testing to be done, not expected to play)
    Filip Kuba (lower body, probable confirmed will not play)

Montreal Key Injuries

Mike Cammalleri (right MCL, has resumed practicing, to see doctor Tuesday)
    Marc-Andre Bergeron (knee, has resumed practicing, to see doctor Tuesday)
    Paul Mara (shoulder surgery, remainder of season)

Game Day Previews:

ESPN Preview
    NHL Preview (same as the one on the Sens' site)
    TSN Gameday

ESPN Stats Comparison
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 Sens%40Habs

Media Links:

OfficialSens Twitter
    SensTVOnline

GO SENS GO!!!

Last edited by wprager on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Melnyk should have called Leclaire, too:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2010/03/20/13308011-qmi.html

The Senators boss called coach Cory Clouston and four players — Daniel Alfredsson, Chris Phillips, Mike Fisher and Jason Spezza — to let them know he still believes in his favourite sports toy.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hopefully playing against MTL will spark Kovalev. He's got to get a point sometime this month, right?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Game preview from Sens website:
http://senators.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2009021078

Surging Canadiens host struggling Senators
Brian Hunter - NHL.com Staff Writer

SENATORS (37-30-5) at CANADIENS (36-29-7)
Last 10: Ottawa 2-7-1; Montreal 7-2-1

Season series: Sixth and final meeting of the regular season between these Northeast Division rivals. Ottawa has won four of the first five matchups this season, including the previous three in a row. Mike Fisher scored with 1:27 left in overtime to give the Senators a 3-2 win on Jan. 30, the last time they met. He leads the team with three goals in the series, while goalie Pascal Leclaire has won both of his starts. Mike Cammalleri and Benoit Pouliot have three goals apiece to pace the Canadiens.

Big story: Each team begins Monday with 79 points, but they are headed in opposite directions in the Eastern Conference playoff picture. The surging Canadiens had a six-game winning streak end but still picked up a point in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Maple Leafs on Saturday. Earlier in the day, the fading Senators saw their losing streak extended to five when they were beaten 5-4 by the Stars.

Team Scope:

Senators: Maybe a date with Montreal will shake Ottawa from its recent doldrums. The good news for the Senators is their 11-game winning streak prior to the Olympic break gave them enough breathing room where they don't have to worry about dropping out of the top eight just yet. But they hardly look like a team ready to put together a lengthy playoff run. Jason Spezza's hat trick was the lone highlight Saturday in Dallas, a game in which Leclaire got pulled after giving up five goals on just 19 shots.

"Right now I'm pretty frustrated," Spezza said. "This time of year it's all about wins. I'd be happier with nothing (no goals) and winning the game and moving up in the standings instead of losing a game like we did tonight."

Canadiens: Although Montreal couldn't pick up a seventh straight win in Toronto, forward Brian Gionta assured the Canadiens did not leave the Air Canada Centre empty-handed. Gionta scored his second goal of the game on a power play with 6:06 remaining in the third period and Jaroslav Halak held the Leafs off until the shootout, where he was beaten in round three by John Mitchell.

"We just weren't on our game," Gionta said. "We weren't sharp enough. A team like that, they're going to take advantage of that and we were playing catch up the whole game because of that."

Who's hot: Spezza's three goals Saturday gave the Senators forward 19 for the season. He scored just three in his first 28 games, but has 16 in 22 since. … Gionta has 23 goals in 51 games in his first season with the Canadiens, three off Cammalleri's team-leading total. Halak has posted a 6-0-1 record in his last seven starts, giving up two goals or less in five of them.

Injury report: Ottawa forward Milan Michalek missed Saturday's game with a leg injury and is day-to-day. … Cammalleri, who hurt his right MCL the last time these teams met, could be activated from injured reserve for Monday's game. Montreal defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron is also nearing his return from a knee injury. Fellow blueliner Paul Mara is expected to undergo shoulder surgery and be out for the season.

Stat pack: Fisher scored the first Senators goal on Saturday, his 22nd of the season to tie Michalek for the team lead. … Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov scored two goals and added eight assists during a seven-game points streak that was snapped in Saturday's defeat.

Puck drop: The return of Cammalleri would create an added frenzy amid the Bell Centre crowd. A sixth straight loss would be a season high for Ottawa.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

we HAVE to win tomorrow! i'm not gonna hear the end of it at work until next year if we don't. too bad MTL is doing so good these days, maybe i had too much fun making fun of them here this past season. oh well, it's the joys and pains of livin' in MTL.
GO SENS GO

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

Look at what happens when we lost 5 straight last time, even with that in mind this is a big game coming into the final strech.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sens4win wrote:Look at what happens when we lost 5 straight last time, even with that in mind this is a big game coming into the final strech.

At this point, so long as we are playing well, I'm comfortable with the situation we're in. 3rd or 4th and a home series in the first round would have been nice, for sure, but it's looking very unlikely at this time. We have beaten Buffalo, Montreal, Boston, the Rangers, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia on the road already, the first four of those teams, twice. We can still win an away series in the first round.

The last two games we've scored 7 goals with our top goal-scorer out of the lineup. Doesn't make us the Washington Capitals, but we've certainly played better. You know what they say about the tail ends of streaks -- winning games you should lose, and losing games you should win. The scoring is coming around, and if the forwards tighten up their defensive play as well (better fore- and back-checking) the job will be so much easier for our D and goalie.

Montreal *was* on a winning streak, let's not forget that. In their last six games, they've gone to a shootout three times -- against the not-so-mighty Ducks, Oilers and Leafs. They may have Cammalleri and Bergeron back tonight. That's great for them longer-term, but after missing that much time he may not be much of a help to his team. We can definitely win this game, but it will take effort from every one. And as long as the effort is there, I am not so much concerned about a loss.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's nice to see them scoring some goals again and getting their PP going as well. Their PK has been a bright spot during this losing streak as well if I'm not mistaken.

Another nice sign is Spezza stepping up and potting a hat-trick. I guess he doesn't just rack up points during the good times anymore? Wink

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any Fil Kuba rumours?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Any Fil Kuba rumours?

day to day so... Maybe he plays on more time this month? Sarcasm

- Unknown Author

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

is anyone else scared of this Atlanta surge? Boston has a game in hand, if they win that, we could see teams 5-8 seperated by a single point. Its now a three way tie between Philly-Ott-Mtl @ 79 points and with 10 games remaining, we get 5th place due to tie-breaker.

Man, what an important game tonight! c'mon Senators!!! Its playoff time! GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 43150

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

To be honest if the Sens can't turn their game around but still make it into the playoffs it's going to be an early spring anyway. Just not quite as early as not making the playoffs at all.

- Unknown Author

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I'm hopeful of the Sens putting their @$$-kickin' boots on tonight and taking it to the undersized Habs.

Put Sutton and Carkner together full-time and enjoy.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm hopeful that our dominance over the Habs this season is similar to our dominance over the Sabres in that it doesn't seem to matter how poorly the Sens are doing at the time they just seem to pull off a win anyway.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:is anyone else scared of this Atlanta surge? Boston has a game in hand, if they win that, we could see teams 5-8 seperated by a single point. Its now a three way tie between Philly-Ott-Mtl @ 79 points and with 10 games remaining, we get 5th place due to tie-breaker.

Man, what an important game tonight! c'mon Senators!!! Its playoff time! GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens– 7:30PM EST, Monday, March 22, 2010 43150

I'm not scared of any team. I'm only concerned about the Ottawa Senators. If they want to continue with some of the piss-poor efforts they showed us recently, we know what the result will be. The season is truly in their hands.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 20]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum