GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Official GMHockey 2010 Winter Olympics Thread - All Talk Here!

+22
stempniaksen
TheAvatar
SensGirl11
asq2
beedub
Ev
SensHulk
Hockeyhero22000
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PKC
LeCaptain
Bramlet07
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
garblar
wprager
PTFlea
sens4win
dennycrane
M_Christopher
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 41]

wprager wrote:Lookie here, double-digits in gold (and leading all the cool kids), top-three overall (*my* goal, not the COC's) and just three shy of our best ever finish (24 medals in Torino). Two more medals are already guaranteed (men's hockey and men's curling). There's still hope for Canada-1 in bobsleigh, and of course the short-track pursuit (men and women) and snowboarding (men's parallel slalom).

Definitely a shot at our best overall medal count, and still an outside shot at the best gold haul (women's curling would really have helped there).

I was hearing this morning that we are guaranteed 3 medals...Curling, Hockey and Men's Pursuit. So we've definitely tie our record in Turin. The pursuit is a long-track event and the women are already done, having finished 7th. So if we can come up with a (semi) suprise medal in either, bobsleigh, snowboard PGS, or the last skiing event (slalom too I believe), Canada will surpass Turin.

SensFan71 wrote:
wprager wrote:Lookie here, double-digits in gold (and leading all the cool kids), top-three overall (*my* goal, not the COC's) and just three shy of our best ever finish (24 medals in Torino). Two more medals are already guaranteed (men's hockey and men's curling). There's still hope for Canada-1 in bobsleigh, and of course the short-track pursuit (men and women) and snowboarding (men's parallel slalom).

Definitely a shot at our best overall medal count, and still an outside shot at the best gold haul (women's curling would really have helped there).

women were upset in the pursuit, so unfortunately we won't be medalling there, but the men have their final today, hope we beat the Yanks there, set a precedent for tomorrow. Kevin Martin if he keeps playing how he has been, hopefully a gold there. I didn't even consider the snowboard, got at least 3 good possibilities there, go Jasey Jay. We might not own the podium, but it will be a solid olympics either way.

The total medal count is misleading though. We've got a ton of top 5's and top 8's I believe we lead overall. Canada arrived as a world superpower in Winter Olympics in 2010. Hopefully the funding is going to be available to keep us there.

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:Apolo Anton Ohno is a very loathesome individual indeed.

Aww, but he and Julianne were such a cute pair on DWTS

Did he run out on the dance floor and bump someone to win that too? The Official GMHockey 2010 Winter Olympics Thread - All Talk Here! - Page 39 62136

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

Did he run out on the dance floor and bump someone to win that too? The Official GMHockey 2010 Winter Olympics Thread - All Talk Here! - Page 39 62136

well according to his interview on NBC, he never did anything in that race last night and it was because it was a canadian ref that he had that called on him, typical response rather than to say he was trying to cheat to win.

SensFan71 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

well according to his interview on NBC, he never did anything in that race last night and it was because it was a canadian ref that he had that called on him, typical response rather than to say he was trying to cheat to win.

Par for the couse for this guy. He clearly pushed on the Canadian's hip, which caused him to fall. Ohno already fell Donkey backwards into a Silver here at these games, when Korea had two skaters wipe out on the last turn when they were running 1-2-3. Ohno and JR Celski coasted across the line.

This is at least 2 medals he's fallen Donkey backwards into his career, and I know there is at least one or two more that's questionable due to contact. This guy never has been, nor ever will be a clean racer. He'd rather try and cheat and get DSQ'd than finish out of a medal clean.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps a little harsh, Hemlock. It's the nature of the sport. When Canadians play hockey, 59 of the 60 minutes of every game someone is doing something that is, technically, an infraction. Whether it's holding, high-sticking, charging, boarding -- on and on -- most of the time, as long as they straddle this imaginary line between questionable and blatant, we call it great hockey. Same thing in short-track. There's just absolutely no way you can excel in that sport without making contact, unless you are so much faster than every one that you are a good 5 meters in the lead before the first turn. Contact is unavoidable; getting away with it is as much a skill in this sport as are speed, strength, balance and agility.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What happened to Chris Klug in the quarter finals? It says DNF with a note "5-8 consol" (consolation, I'm assuming). Wasn't he one of the favorites?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is JJA in the semis? Of the 8 in the quarters, three are already through to the semis, two are DNF or DSQ, and one is out because he's too far back. The remaining two are the pair including JJA, and he beat him by .64. Shouldn't he be through to the semis?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, he's through to the semis now, but so is the guy he raced. In total they are showing 5 going to the semis. Huh?

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-snowboard/schedule-and-results/mens-pgs-quarterfinals_sbm230300jo.html

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, they finally fixed it up. JJA will be racing against the Russian (Detkov). In the semis.

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:OK, they finally fixed it up. JJA will be racing against the Russian (Detkov). In the semis.
good for him to still be out there doing good this is his last olympics is it not? never mind wrong person he is only 34

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

JJA is the last pair to go to bad its not the finals

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sens4win wrote:JJA is the last pair to go to bad its not the finals

The results page already has the time for the semis. JJA won by a quarter second.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They do two runs, JJA just did his second run and is onto the finals.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He's in the Big Final against Karl of Austria. No medal for the US.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:They do two runs, JJA just did his second run and is onto the finals.

Two runs with combined times or best time counting? And is the final also two runs?

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:He's in the Big Final against Karl of Austria. No medal for the US.
another medal that U.S doesnt get is a good day, they have enough medals, did anyone see in luge U.S and Germany 1st and 2nd in overall medals have 3 teams for 1 luge event well canada only has 2 unfair advantage.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

WTH? He's 3/4 of a second off on the first run?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum