GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RUMOUR: Sens among 3 teams inquiring about Svatos

+6
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
Phoenix30
asq2
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010/01/13/svatos-on-the-block/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-avalanche+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Avalanche%3A+Blog%29

Talking to some sources around the league of late, and one thing has been brought to my attention: Marek Svatos is definitely available at a decent offer. Maybe just an OK offer. He’s a guy in the last year of his contract, making pretty good money, who isn’t playing right now and wants to play. So this is no huge scoop, but there are some talks going on between the Avs and a few teams with some interest.

His groin injury has healed and he’ll available to play this weekend, by the way. But back to the news at hand: yes, Svatos is available and yes, some teams are, as one good source put it “intrigued.” But probably not intrigued enough to offer much better than a mid-round draft pick. Maybe a third-rounder at best.

You’re just not going to get a whole lot for a guy who can be an unrestricted free agent this summer, who has been hurt lately and was only getting scant minutes before he got hurt. But Svatos does still have two seasons on his resume where he scored 32 and 26 goals, so there’s where your “intrigued” comes into play.

The only way the Avs get more for Svatos is if he comes back this weekend and starts putting the puck in the net at a rapid rate, or he’s packaged with another player or prospect or both, as part of a larger deal.

Right now, it’s not even for sure Svatos will even be in the lineup if he is healthy. Brandon Yip has grabbed a roster spot, it appears, for good and there wouldn’t seem to be any way Joe Sacco puts Svatos anywhere on his top three lines. And putting Svats on the fourth line is probably just a waste of time for him and the team. Hence, a change of scenery probably would be best for both sides right now, where the Avs can get a little something for a guy who isn’t even in their plans right now, and Svats gets a chance to play somewhere else for a possible contender.

Where could Svatos go? I’ve heard Toronto and Ottawa have inquired. Maybe Boston too.

One tough question if you’re Greg Sherman is: do I really want to give up Svatos for a middle draft pick, when he could still be a decent insurance guy in case, say, a Milan Hejduk or other top forward goes down with an injury? Having a guy who scored 32 goals only a few years ago is some pretty decent insurance. It’s a tough call either way. But Svatos started to fall out of favor with Sacco, or so it seemed. His minutes were going down, and he was playing at times on the fourth line, without much success.

Just because trade possibilities are discussed between GMs doesn’t mean they’ll happen, of course. My ultimate take is this: the Avs will hold onto Svatos to close to the March 3 deadline. If injuries happen by then, they can turn to him for some relief. If everybody is healthy and guys like Yip are still ahead of him on the depth chart, they’ll give him away for a song.

I've always liked him a lot, thought he had a ton of skill. A little small, but...consider him Ryan Shannon with a lot more skill.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Blegh.

Svatos wishes he had Shannon's work ethic.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Blegh.

Conversely Shannon wishes he had a 32 goal season under his belt. Who knows, perhaps Svatos needs the old 'change of scenery'.

Or it'll be a waste of time - or it won't happen at all. Laugh1 Yikes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Talking about this, the guys who watch Bingo religiously - and live in the area I believe - are saying that there's no way in heck Daugavins is ready for this - nor do they believe he has the wheels or endurance to handle this.

They say be prepared to be disappointed - and they also say that they believe this is totally a showcasing scenario. Shrug

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

Conversely Shannon wishes he had a 32 goal season under his belt. Who knows, perhaps Svatos needs the old 'change of scenery'.

Or it'll be a waste of time - or it won't happen at all. RUMOUR: Sens among 3 teams inquiring about Svatos 270956 Yikes.

Svatos is coasting - in more ways than one - on that rookie season. I think a poster at HF summed it up nicely when he called him the Meszaros of forwards.

asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Or it'll be a waste of time - or it won't happen at all. RUMOUR: Sens among 3 teams inquiring about Svatos 270956 Yikes.

Svatos is coasting - in more ways than one - on that rookie season. I think a poster at HF summed it up nicely when he called him the Meszaros of forwards.

He's a plug at best.

I'm so not a fan of these patchwork trade ideas.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I'll pass

Phoenix30 wrote:I'll pass

Me too, we have enough players who couldn't necessarily make it with their last club... Cheechoo, Picard, Campoli, Shannon etc...

We are not a good environment for a turnaround for whatever reason. There is no-one who has come to Ottawa from a bad environment and started playing better than he did with his last club, in fact it is usually the opposite... add to the list above the historics like Bondra, Commodore, Stillman, Muckalt, etc...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I remember when Svatos was the next big thing in Colorado. That's really sad if he truly is the Meszaros of forwards as ASQ read over on HF.

- Unknown Author

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He is definitely a disappointment in Colorado - maybe the old "change of scenery" applies here?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:He is definitely a disappointment in Colorado - maybe the old "change of scenery" applies here?

Perhaps but like MOI said we're a bad place to re-energize a career historically.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Talking about this, the guys who watch Bingo religiously - and live in the area I believe - are saying that there's no way in heck Daugavins is ready for this - nor do they believe he has the wheels or endurance to handle this.

They say be prepared to be disappointed - and they also say that they believe this is totally a showcasing scenario. RUMOUR: Sens among 3 teams inquiring about Svatos 105237

That was my first guess. Then I wondered why showcase a guy who doesn't seem to be developing. RUMOUR: Sens among 3 teams inquiring about Svatos 105237

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

Haha, the Meszaros of forwards. That's quite clever actually.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:That was my first guess. Then I wondered why showcase a guy who doesn't seem to be developing. RUMOUR: Sens among 3 teams inquiring about Svatos 105237

The old buy low, sell high? He's developed in the last 20 games into almost a PPG player and is on fire right now. This would be the time to cash him in for an NHLer if you were so inclined.

What I don't buy is the term 'showcasing'. Can't whatever team is interested go to Bingo and watch him? He's clearly not NHL ready from what people are saying. If this is in fact showcasing, it's not gonna really be a great result I would imagine.

Sophomore
Sophomore

for a third round pick I say try it for two reasons-he's only 27 years old, and he is in a contract year meaning he has something to prove. If he does well sign him, if not bye.

Imagine cheechoo waived and a 3rd liner who could score 20-25 goals

Last edited by 111519 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum