GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another NHL team in Southern Ontario? The NHL says 'yes': report

+2
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The NHL's Bill Daly effectively confirms that there will be a second team in Southern Ontario, and Jim Balsillie gets another whack in the chops from the league.

This report from The Globe & Mail, by David Shoalts, appeared yesterday:

NHL eyes second team in Southern Ontario

The notion of a second NHL franchise in the Greater Toronto Area got another push yesterday, when deputy commissioner Bill Daly acknowledged it is a possibility.

And if the Toronto Maple Leafs don't like it, Daly said in so many words, they can lump it. But, he said, it's possible the Leafs could approve a competing franchise.

“I don't think it's a point of contention even with the Leafs,” Daly said. “I can see a situation where by adding a franchise to a market, you can raise the tide for all boats. I don't think that because you put a franchise here, it necessarily makes the Leafs any less successful. And, in fact, it could create new revenue opportunities.”

Brian Burke, the Maple Leafs president and general manager, said the club has never officially opposed the idea of another franchise in its territory. Burke said if a study proved a second team would be beneficial to the Leafs and the NHL, the Leafs would not be opposed. Richard Peddie, president of the Leafs' parent company, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, has also said this.

If the Leafs were opposed, Daly said, the NHL could put a team in Southern Ontario anyway.

“They don't have to agree,” Daly said of the Leafs. “They can be dead set against it, but that doesn't mean they can stop the league from putting a franchise here if the league thinks a franchise here makes sense.”

Daly would not speculate on when it might happen.

“I suppose, without talking about time frame, there may be,” he said of the possibility.
Daly's answer came in response to a question about the inevitability of a second team in the GTA simply for economic reasons. Most sports economics experts agree such a team would likely earn enough revenue to be a major contributor to the NHL's revenue-sharing program as opposed to a continual drain like the Phoenix Coyotes.

Daly was speaking after he appeared at an annual sports management conference. Daly and Burke took part in a panel discussion yesterday on the relocation of franchises.

Daly said no new franchise is possible without a new arena and he made it clear Hamilton's Copps Coliseum is not the answer.

“The demographics are friendly for the NHL and NHL teams and that makes [Southern Ontario] a good candidate for a franchise,” Daly said. “Having said that, what I will say is that even the proposal to move the team to Hamilton. … Copps Coliseum doesn't provide modern-day NHL economics.”

There were extensive renovations planned for Copps in conjunction with BlackBerry billionaire Jim Balsillie's failed plan to buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton. But, Daly said, the plans were not clear.

“As far as I know, the money that would take was not coming from any particular source,” Daly said. “It was kind of a pie-in-the-sky kind of deal. I think for any franchise in any market, you basically have to have a modern-style building for it to make any economic sense.”

A second franchise would most likely be located in Toronto or close to it, since many NHL governors believe putting a team in Hamilton would divert ticket sales away from the Buffalo Sabres. Burke said yesterday the Leafs are worried about the harm to the Sabres if there is a second franchise even in Toronto.

However, among the court documents filed in the Coyotes' bankruptcy court case was a letter from the Leafs to the NHL that said the Leafs believed they had a veto over allowing any team to enter their territory and they were prepared to take all possible steps to protect the right to have sole control over their market.

Balsillie's lawyers made much of the letter, saying it bolstered their interpretation of the NHL's constitution. The lawyers argued that franchise relocation required a unanimous vote of the governors, which effectively gives each team a veto. The league says only a majority vote is required.

Daly said the Leafs' letter “says they have a different interpretation of the constitution than we have. So?” He repeated the NHL's contention, which was argued in the Coyotes' case, that “the whole concept that someone has a veto is just plain wrong. It's made up. There's a falsification of the facts.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-eyes-second-team-in-southern-ontario/article1356687/

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That article took a really long time to say absolutely nothing. All Daly has said is the standard stuff he says any time the subject of a franchise coming to Canada comes up. It's possible. It could happen. Maybe it will happen. That's a whole lotta nothin'. Thanks Daly but you really didn't tell us anything.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It almost seems like this panel discussion on the relocation of franchises was just a big excuse to throw more dirt on Balsillie and, apparently the City of Hamilton.

Not that it was ever personal.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:That article took a really long time to say absolutely nothing. All Daly has said is the standard stuff he says any time the subject of a franchise coming to Canada comes up. It's possible. It could happen. Maybe it will happen. That's a whole lotta nothin'. Thanks Daly but you really didn't tell us anything.

@Clutch> well, you can't expect much in terms of depth from David Shoalts.
Another NHL team in Southern Ontario? The NHL says 'yes': report 270956

The fact is, though, the NHL has been studying the economics of a second team in Southern Ontario for some time.

Balsillie having screwed up his opportunity to become part of The Club, the NHL is talking to investors and laying the groundwork for either a relocation or an expansion franchise.

If Daly is coming out publicly and confirming the 'possibility' exists, it means the league has made a decision it will go ahead if the conditions are met.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:It almost seems like this panel discussion on the relocation of franchises was just a big excuse to throw more dirt on Balsillie and, apparently the City of Hamilton.

Not that it was ever personal.

@SSF> of course it's personal. Daly isn't just throwing dirt on Balsillie, he's burying him.

Hamilton was never in the mix anyway, for a number of reasons, including the fact the economics aren't as favorable as a team located with a greater proximity to the GTA.

Who knows, you might even see a second club playing at the ACC.

Shabbs would be thrilled.
Another NHL team in Southern Ontario? The NHL says 'yes': report Icon_wink

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They made similiar statements about Winnipeg and Quebec and just bringing a franchise to Canada in general before. It's really nothing new as far as I'm concerned. When they come out and say yes Franchise X is going to place Y within Canada on date Z, then I'll get interested. For now all these It could happen statements are a waste of my time.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:They made similiar statements about Winnipeg and Quebec and just bringing a franchise to Canada in general before. It's really nothing new as far as I'm concerned. When they come out and say yes Franchise X is going to place Y within Canada on date Z, then I'll get interested. For now all these It could happen statements are a waste of my time.

Note to Bill Daly: "Don't waste Clutchie's time."

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Same old fluff from the NHL... I'll believe it when I see it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:If Daly is coming out publicly and confirming the 'possibility' exists, it means the league has made a decision it will go ahead if the conditions are met.

Or the NHL is just jerking Canadian NHL fans around, as usual.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Same old fluff from the NHL... I'll believe it when I see it.

As opposed to ShabbFluff, of course.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:If Daly is coming out publicly and confirming the 'possibility' exists, it means the league has made a decision it will go ahead if the conditions are met.

With the Canadian dollar stronger against the USD, and a stronger percentage of NHL revenue coming from Canadian markets, it means that the chances of franchises being relocated to Canada are greater.

Business is business.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

With the Canadian dollar stronger against the USD, and a stronger percentage of NHL revenue coming from Canadian markets, it means that the chances of franchises being relocated to Canada are greater.

Business is business.

Unless it gets personal.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Business is business.

Unless it gets personal.

Exactly.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:Same old fluff from the NHL... I'll believe it when I see it.

As opposed to ShabbFluff, of course.
Indeed. That's some high quality fluff...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

So, who gets moved to Toronto/GTA first?

The Coyotes or the Panthers?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum