GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

DONE: Vermette signs 5 years, 3.75 per year deal with Columbus

+9
wprager
spader
mattshock
LeCaptain
Hockeyhero22000
Sp00nz
jamvan
SensFan71
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wow a bit of an overpay, were they below the floor of the cap? Vermette for 2.5 or 2.75 would have been about right IMO.

Meh, too much for Columbus? Probably not... again, it all depends on how valuable a guy is to you organization. Vermette fits in there like a glove, but this should signal Fisher's true market value.

This is still the guy they got for a potential franchise goaltender and a 2nd round pick. That's a pretty steep price.

Good signing for Columbus but defently a little more than he is worth.

Sp00nz wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:How is Vermette better then Fisher? For basically the same production and less of a role, Fisher does a lot more and is a much dangerous player on the ice.

Not a player fears playing agaisnt Vermette, Fisher on the other hand is a force.

Fisher doesnt even make 500K more than Vermette now, I'll take Fisher every day of the week/month/year.

Yeah. Fisher is a force alright. A disruptive force. Who are we gonna blame for his lack of production this year?

He's dangerous too. Everytime a scoring play for Ottawa develops it's in danger of resulting in a whistle because he can't recognize that his linemates are open.

He's a one-dimensional checker. Not much different than Shean Donovan on most nights. Except Donovan is a hideous monster. DONE: Vermette signs 5 years, 3.75 per year deal with Columbus - Page 3 919983

Fisher's game is much like Vermette's, but he brings a much more physical presence. What people seem to be forgetting is the way Fisher elevates his play come the post season. That's why he got the contract.

Doesn't do us much good if we are 4-and-out or don't even make it. I like Fisher's game, but he's grossly overpaid. I think comparing his to Donovan is a tad harsh though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:From Eric Smith a HB:

***Update - Just talked to Scott Howson, "Vermette is done. 5 year extension."

Have found out that the deal is for 5 years at $3.75 million per year.

Just finished interview with Vermette. Will have story up shortly.

Wow, what a great contract for Vermette. Definitely going for expectations and not past results. As much as I liked Vermette, after the last season he'd have been lucky to get anything north of $3M, and to get $750K more than that, and for 5 years, fantastic.

Not that I think Columbus is getting hosed, but with that contract he's got to be playing top-line now. Pgood will be very happy.

SensFan71 wrote:wow a bit of an overpay, were they below the floor of the cap? Vermette for 2.5 or 2.75 would have been about right IMO.

Makes the Fisher signing look genius

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DirtyDave wrote:Makes the Fisher signing look genius

I wouldn't go that far personally.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:How is Vermette better then Fisher? For basically the same production and less of a role, Fisher does a lot more and is a much dangerous player on the ice.

Not a player fears playing agaisnt Vermette, Fisher on the other hand is a force.

Fisher doesnt even make 500K more than Vermette now, I'll take Fisher every day of the week/month/year.

Vermette is a better 2nd line center than Fisher. In fact, being top-six in the league in faceoffs he could play a top line center role on many teams (including, it sounds like, Columbus). And if he regularly laid out people like ht did to Pronger, then you could start saying he's a better player.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is a product of Vermette's 17 games with Columbus after the trade where he had 7 goals and 13 points. I wouldn't count on that happening for a full 82 game schedule though - especially given how unrealistically streaky Vermette is.

I think it's too much personally, but Columbus felt the need. Good for them.

SpezDispenser wrote:This is a product of Vermette's 17 games with Columbus after the trade where he had 7 goals and 13 points. I wouldn't count on that happening for a full 82 game schedule though - especially given how unrealistically streaky Vermette is.

I said $15 over 5 yesterday, but I'll agree this is a touch high. I think they are hoping a full year at centre will help him produce at the same rate he did after arriving there. It's a gamble, but worth it if he can pot 60 points in addition all the other things he can do imo.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
I said $15 over 5 yesterday, but I'll agree this is a touch high. I think they are hoping a full year at centre will help him produce at the same rate he did after arriving there. It's a gamble, but worth it if he can pot 60 points in addition all the other things he can do imo.

I know it seems petty at this point - but 15 over 5 years is world of a better deal than 18.75 over 5 years. That adds up - as we all know here in Ottawa.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:This is a product of Vermette's 17 games with Columbus after the trade where he had 7 goals and 13 points. I wouldn't count on that happening for a full 82 game schedule though - especially given how unrealistically streaky Vermette is.

good for Vermette too, now he definitely has to deliver or this will look like a horrible signing.

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

I know it seems petty at this point - but 15 over 5 years is world of a better deal than 18.75 over 5 years. That adds up - as we all know here in Ottawa.

Oh yeah, but I think he's quite capable of living up to a contract that size.

SpezDispenser wrote:

should have added the sarcastic emocon.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:

Maybe? Hard to say. His top point total here was 53, can he exceed that? We'll see.

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Maybe? Hard to say. His top point total here was 53, can he exceed that? We'll see.

to me 3.5-4.5 money is for someone that can hit 30 goals or at least 50 points on a regular basis.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

DirtyDave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

should have added the sarcastic emocon.

ask and SpezzD will deliver, I guarantee DONE: Vermette signs 5 years, 3.75 per year deal with Columbus - Page 3 668437

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

He never had a full season at centre here either. That's the big difference for me. He's more comfortable as a centreman. I don't think 60 is out of the question for sure.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I certainly wish him the best.

Here's another query - will Vermette get the same opportunity with Brassard coming back?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum