GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

DONE: Vermette signs 5 years, 3.75 per year deal with Columbus

+9
wprager
spader
mattshock
LeCaptain
Hockeyhero22000
Sp00nz
jamvan
SensFan71
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

TSN's ranking of the top 250 are up and they are projecting Vermette to get 17 goals and 39 points. What??! 13 points in 17 games extrapolates to 63 points. That 39 total does not make sense. Plus I still think there is a legitimate chance that he gets top-line minutes if Brassard has any set back (sophomore slump, anyone? ailing shoulder, perhaps?)

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:TSN's ranking of the top 250 are up and they are projecting Vermette to get 17 goals and 39 points. What??! 13 points in 17 games extrapolates to 63 points. That 39 total does not make sense. Plus I still think there is a legitimate chance that he gets top-line minutes if Brassard has any set back (sophomore slump, anyone? ailing shoulder, perhaps?)

An important thing to note as well is that when Brassard was lighting it up last year, he was not playing alongside Rick Nash, he was actually on the 2nd line. Interesting to see what Hitchc'ck decides to do with his lines.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Bass Destruction wrote:
wprager wrote:TSN's ranking of the top 250 are up and they are projecting Vermette to get 17 goals and 39 points. What??! 13 points in 17 games extrapolates to 63 points. That 39 total does not make sense. Plus I still think there is a legitimate chance that he gets top-line minutes if Brassard has any set back (sophomore slump, anyone? ailing shoulder, perhaps?)

An important thing to note as well is that when Brassard was lighting it up last year, he was not playing alongside Rick Nash, he was actually on the 2nd line. Interesting to see what Hitchc'ck decides to do with his lines.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. CBS Sports has Brassard #2 on their depth chart, with Vermette at the top. I just don't understand how he could be projected to miss 40.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. CBS Sports has Brassard #2 on their depth chart, with Vermette at the top. I just don't understand how he could be projected to miss 40.

I agree with you. This is the year of the Vermette, hopefully. Even if he is relegated to the 2nd line, Columbus still has a plethora of forwards to complement him. Their list of possible top 6 forwards are: Nash, Huselius, Brassard, Vermette, Filatov, Voracek, and arguments can be made that Modin and Umberger could be up there.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

From Eric Smith a HB:

***Update - Just talked to Scott Howson, "Vermette is done. 5 year extension."

Have found out that the deal is for 5 years at $3.75 million per year.

Just finished interview with Vermette. Will have story up shortly.

What a great trade for Ottawa. I like Vermette, but not that much, not even close. Fisher's contract looks about right compared to that.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good for Vermette. If he continues in the 50 to 60 point range coupled with his faceoff and PK skills then this is a great deal for the Jackets.

- Unknown Author

I dont see Vermette topping out at 60 points. That's A LOT of production of a defensive minded team in The West non the less. Vermette hitting 50 is a very good year in Columbus. Even Nash doesnt hit the PPG mark.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:What a great trade for Ottawa. I like Vermette, but not that much, not even close. Fisher's contract looks about right compared to that.

Disagree. Vermette is still better, more versatile and cheaper than Fisher. Obviously, the Jackets recognized his value.

How is Vermette better then Fisher? For basically the same production and less of a role, Fisher does a lot more and is a much dangerous player on the ice.

Not a player fears playing agaisnt Vermette, Fisher on the other hand is a force.

Fisher doesnt even make 500K more than Vermette now, I'll take Fisher every day of the week/month/year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:How is Vermette better then Fisher? For basically the same production and less of a role, Fisher does a lot more and is a much dangerous player on the ice.

Not a player fears playing agaisnt Vermette, Fisher on the other hand is a force.

Fisher doesnt even make 500K more than Vermette now, I'll take Fisher every day of the week/month/year.

Yeah. Fisher is a force alright. A disruptive force. Who are we gonna blame for his lack of production this year?

He's dangerous too. Everytime a scoring play for Ottawa develops it's in danger of resulting in a whistle because he can't recognize that his linemates are open.

He's a one-dimensional checker. Not much different than Shean Donovan on most nights. Except Donovan is a hideous monster. DONE: Vermette signs 5 years, 3.75 per year deal with Columbus - Page 2 919983

That's not even close to being objective.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:That's not even close to being objective.

OK. Hideous is a little harsh. But you get the idea.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:How is Vermette better then Fisher? For basically the same production and less of a role, Fisher does a lot more and is a much dangerous player on the ice.

Yeah. Fisher is a force alright. A disruptive force. Who are we gonna blame for his lack of production this year?

He's dangerous too. Everytime a scoring play for Ottawa develops it's in danger of resulting in a whistle because he can't recognize that his linemates are open.

He's a one-dimensional checker. Not much different than Shean Donovan on most nights. Except Donovan is a hideous monster. DONE: Vermette signs 5 years, 3.75 per year deal with Columbus - Page 2 919983

Fisher's game is much like Vermette's, but he brings a much more physical presence. What people seem to be forgetting is the way Fisher elevates his play come the post season. That's why he got the contract.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/09/vermette_signs_for_5_yeafrs.shtml

3.75 per year X 5 years. Too much $$ in my opinion.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wow a bit of an overpay, were they below the floor of the cap? Vermette for 2.5 or 2.75 would have been about right IMO.

Meh, too much for Columbus? Probably not... again, it all depends on how valuable a guy is to you organization. Vermette fits in there like a glove, but this should signal Fisher's true market value.

This is still the guy they got for a potential franchise goaltender and a 2nd round pick. That's a pretty steep price.

Good signing for Columbus but defently a little more than he is worth.

Sp00nz wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Fisher's game is much like Vermette's, but he brings a much more physical presence. What people seem to be forgetting is the way Fisher elevates his play come the post season. That's why he got the contract.

Doesn't do us much good if we are 4-and-out or don't even make it. I like Fisher's game, but he's grossly overpaid. I think comparing his to Donovan is a tad harsh though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum