GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shopping for D?

+2
Phoenix30
rooneypoo
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shopping for D? Empty Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:27 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Good piece in the Sun today about how Murray is still considering ways to improve his D, especially in the offence department:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/09/14/6760386-sun.html

I don't like most of the names Garrioch mentions, and I hate the idea of putting our PP hopes on Brendan Bell, but it's nice to hear that Murray is well aware of the potential problem, and that he may well look into making a trade to shore up our PP, even if he doesn't do anything between now and Oct. 4th to address the issue. Might as well give Kuba, Lee, and Picard a chance to see what they can do, and then go shopping if those guys aren't getting it done.

2Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:56 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I enjoyed the article this morning when i saw it. I guess now the Bouwmeester talk will be brought back up. I suspect that Murray is going to evaluate our prospects for the first little while to see if any of them can make a vet expendable and be used for trade bait. I wondering who he may target outside of Bouwmeester.

Yeah me, I finally hit 100 posts.

3Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What did it mean Corvo available? Why would Carolina give him up? That was the first I've ever heard of that.

4Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well to be honest I'm still holding out hope that Lee and Kuba perform lights out.

- Unknown Author

5Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:54 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:What did it mean Corvo available? Why would Carolina give him up? That was the first I've ever heard of that.

I place zero confidence in that part of the report. Corvo was lights out for CAR after he was traded there, getting sometime like .75 PPG on average. There's no way they're looking trade him now.

6Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
I place zero confidence in that part of the report. Corvo was lights out for CAR after he was traded there, getting sometime like .75 PPG on average. There's no way they're looking trade him now.

I know, I have no idea why he would write that. There couldn't be a better or happier fit than Corvo being Staal's wheelman on the PP along with Pitkanen.

Weird. Preissing I could buy into a lot more.

7Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:55 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I don't the Sens have a problem with moving the puck. I would not say that they have any dynamic players on D, but they should be smart and capable.

Lee might be that guy in a year, so I don't see the point in trading assets to fill what may be a temporary need. Let the team take shape and adjust early in the season.

This t

8Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Post got sent early........

This team's biggest problem in the transition game last year was the forwards. There was too much separation between defence and forward. Shrink that gap with a better coaching system, and the loss will not be noticeable.

9Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:59 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I know, I have no idea why he would write that. There couldn't be a better or happier fit than Corvo being Staal's wheelman on the PP along with Pitkanen.

Weird. Preissing I could buy into a lot more.

I can't see Preissing coming back to Ottawa, ever. His style does not fit the team image that Murray is trying to build (big, tough). Murray will take a top-end offensive talent on D who doesn't hit much. Preissing is not that guy - he is an average NHL defenceman.

10Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 pm

"Alex Picard, to me, is not that kind of player. He seems to handle the puck well and he moves the puck really well."

Not what kind of player? The article is about being a good puck mover and this quote is completely out of context. Garrioche is such a lazy hack.

11Shopping for D? Empty Re: Shopping for D? Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:34 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If we can make a move to land Bouwmeester, then you can damn sure bet Murray will be all over it like white on rice.

I'm fairly confident that adding Bouwmeester to our back end vaults us into the upper echelon of teams in the league.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum